It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is The Bloody Point of Boredom???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
But how do you release from your rage .The very fact you find your rage funny tells me that maybe its frustration.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
What's wrong with being bored? You can't be doing stuff or looking for entertainment every minute of your life? Why are people always looking to be doing things or entertained all the time. How about a little contemplation/ meditation/Reflection time, call it what you will. The boredom will soon be over and then you will miss that valuable time when your busy again.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Wood, my friend, that's how I fall asleep and what I do in the shower. When I am upright racing thoughts make it damned near impossible to focus enough to meditate or anything close to it. For some reason the shower calms me enough to focus - so that is where I do all of my mental "heavy lifting". While drifting to sleep I take care of all the lighter and less troubling mental clutter.

BTW It is good to see you!

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I contemplate and reflect all the time.Makes me sad how poor i am . 20/20 huh . just saying

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

G'Day wise sir. I've nothing much to add, EXCEPT YOUR ANSWERS YOU SEEK!
(well, watch this video and let me know - verrrrry informative, trust me!)

I like the thought that we are so enlightened that boredom is really us feeling that nothing in the entire universe can entertain our massive minds.
edit on 11-10-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
If there is a point to boredom it seems pretty dull...HA !

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I'm trying to relate. But I'm not sure but I might very rarely be bored. Instead I'm uninspired, depressed, or feel trapped. Similar perhaps but yet different. What I can have a lot of times is a feeling of the world being too heavy, and a kind of laziness that is associated with that. It might have something to do with desensitization. Similar to how someone who has food to eat all day every day will not appreciate food nearly as much as someone who is starving. Boredom might be a form of ungratefulness, similar to what Islam calls "a hardened heart". Try fasting OP. It actually does make the world a little bit less boring or uninspiring.
edit on 521031Sat, 11 Oct 2014 04:52:39 -0500201439pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-11T04:52:39-05:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide Good to see you too mate, glad things are going well, even if your bored. I listen to a lot of Alan watts when I'm bored. There's hours of lectures on YouTube. Always makes me feel better about my predicament and he has such an entertaining style of delivery.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

That video was absolutely fantastic AND it dissipated my boredom. Well maybe because it related boredom to brain atrophy which scared me a bit. But either way, over the boredom now!

Thank you for posting that!

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Glad you watched and it helped, Michael makes some really interesting and well researched videos.
That girl at the end is very powerful and her plight infected me with an eerie sense of horror for what she endured.

All of his videos are packed with interesting trivia and fresh ways to look at all aspects of us in wonderful ways. Well worth delving into some of his other videos, they are all filled with these little "thought nuggets" and each time a new one comes up, I know one of these nuggets give me a little kick when I reflect on them.

Here's just another one to keep your brain from atrophying for another 13 mins, but keep exploring his videos. If this kind of stuff was on TV, I'd actually watch TV again.

Try this one he popped up a few days ago. The experiment he talks about is amazing that it happened and I'm glad they no longer do that kind of thing, but it is interesting in a morbid way....

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Start reading philosophy and the writings of the saints (St. Teresa of Avila, St. Terese of Lisieux). Take up prayer and mediation. You'll never be bored again. The more you learn ... the more you'll find that you don't know and you'll dig deeper. No more bordum. Trust me on this.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Didn't I just read a reply from you to a thread about how nice it was to be alone?
Now you want something or somebody to tickle your feet and "interest" you?

But I do know where you are coming from. Sortofa "You can't live with them and you can't live without 'em."

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

One can enjoy being alone and also become overwhelmingly bored! One can also be overwhelmingly bored in the midst of a huge crowd - I've experienced that as well!

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Indeed, also I will add that couples get bored. Heck whole families get bored! So you can most certainly be socially content - and have bouts of boredom. It gives you a chance to ponder the next direction - break out an idea of something new. Although as a loner myself (when kids are at school) I do struggle to fill my boredom with new things. I understand it, and keep a mental track of it, but it is just a part of me I guess. I'm hopefully going to build a wooden ship and take up ceramics in the next 12 months to fill my hours. Thanks to boredom I guess

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Boredom is an evolutionary state of mind that allows you to sit through the entire Godzilla movie . Wanna guess how i know

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
As the song goes..."if you're bored, then you're boring."

Dude, you're definitely not boring, LoL! So just think of it more as you are just in between two adventures, you're cued up - "ready to go".

edit on 10/11/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

I had another thought after I left and I'm still bored so I came back to share.

I've noticed I can't do one thing at a time anymore. I was just trying to watch youtube videos play an SNES game (earthbound), while reading ATS and running google searches in between.

I've noticed that multitasking can cause one thing at a time to be boring once you've trained your brain to need more. I'm going to go force myself to watch an entire episode of southpark without looking away or pausing hahhahaha..

I had exactly the same thought a couple of weeks ago and it led the the ame question Hef posed.

I had stargate on netflix on a tab and was listening to Stargate i think, I had a youtube video about Making a diy wood gasifier in a pop up window, was chatting with 3 friends onlne about various things, I was involved is about 3 or 4 threads on ats and was checking checking for new and interesting threads, I had about 4 other tabs open on various subjects, dinner in the oven and an 8 year old asking endless quiestions.

And I was still bored, I was getting frustrated that the threads were not fast enough, that the youtube guy was not getting to the good bit.

All this going on and about a dozen or so other random things getting mulled over in my mind and was still not enough.

I am also in a pretty constant state of high alert, On the verge of fight or flight as it where.

After a bit of contemplation I decided to try just doing one thing and pretty soon I was no longer bored and felt more relaxed, It was a bit tricky to not deviate at first.

I am starting to think that the amount of information available and stimulus surrounding us is not actually good for your state of mind and that information is a form of addiction. Like any addiction tollerance grows and your always looking for a bigger hit.

I would be interested in everyones thoughts on this.

I will now sit here bored waiting for a hopefull reply that I would like to be here in the time it takes my browser to refresh and check my email.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I developed a sweat just reading through your activities!
If you are a male, I think it's incredible you can do all those things at once! I struggle to just cook a dinner, answering the phone halfway through 100% ensures the eggs will be undercooked the chips are burnt and I've poured salt in my eyes.

If you are a female, I hope you got the ironing done at the same time!?
#hideslikeacoward

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys

I developed a sweat just reading through your activities!
If you are a male, I think it's incredible you can do all those things at once! I struggle to just cook a dinner, answering the phone halfway through 100% ensures the eggs will be undercooked the chips are burnt and I've poured salt in my eyes.

If you are a female, I hope you got the ironing done at the same time!?
#hideslikeacoward

I am a man! I think the whole men can't multitask women can thing is a bit of a myth if I am honest.

I can quite easily do about ten things at once where as my girlfriend who although highly intelligent in a conventional sense finds it hard to talk and take a plate out of the cupboard at the same time.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

It's known that computer use can impact hormone levels in the brain, like dopamine and seratonin. Like a rat in an experiment one can hit refresh over and over waiting eagerly for a reply or some other computer generated stimulant. Anything less might seem boring if one is addicted.
Studies have also shown that this sort of automatic and instantaneous stimulation can make one disaffected with their actual reality...ie, bored.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join