It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayors urge for minimum wage increase

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

PS..

Tax breaks not mentioned by me

whole other spiral of issues

I never mentioned them..

As for them working or not..

Depends on timing and corruption levels

Tax breaks require leadership (you opened can of worms here on this part)

US Government has been leader free for over 36 years I can vouch for.. whats worse is they are proud of it

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein
Damn good point!!!!
This is the other problem here..

This plan also makes a mockery of everyone elses effort.. Why do they not get increases?

Are they not as valuable as the other employees?
Not under the min wage hikes
edit on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:51:09 -050051p2014-10-10T16:51:09-05:0020141031Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:51:09 -05002014Friday by ripcontrol because: DGP

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Why not just raise the minimum wage to 1,000,000/hr if it helps the economy? Because it doesn't help.

Someone went to college and is earning 11/hr. Will he get a raise too? Or will he earn 1/hr more than someone who works at Burger King? If that's the case then it won't be fair to those who earn 10/hr, 11/hr, 12/hr, etc.

If it raises everyone's wage then businesses will start to charge more to pay for the increase of wages of its employees and supplies. At the end everything will level itself out. Nothing truly changes.

I'll repeat it again... if raising the wage is good for the economy, then why not raise the minimum wage to 1,000,000/hr?
edit on 10-10-2014 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: danielsil18

We could raise taxes to pre Nixon era 90%+ is this anymore unreasonable than what you keep purposing?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
We could raise taxes to pre Nixon era 90%+ is this anymore unreasonable than what you keep purposing?

Wouldn't matter.

Regardless of tax rate, the US has received between 15-20% of GDP in tax receipts...and, no, the fluctuations do not correlate to the tax rates.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

How can you start a thread about raising the minimum wage without being responsible enough to also talk about the inflation that will ensue and thereby drive the poor back down to poverty, meanwhile forcing middle class workers into poverty.

Those who work at McDonalds will always be poor. Rightfully so.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I never proposed anything.

I said that raising the minimum wages will make it unfair for those earning 10/hr, 11/hr, 12/hr, etc.

Raising everyone's wage will just make everything level itself out eventually.

My point also goes into my question, if raising the minimum wage helps the economy then why not raise it to 1,000,000/hr?
edit on 10-10-2014 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The poor won't be any poorer. They stay in the same position.

The middle class, however, will suffer. They will see the cost increases with no benefit of a wage increase.

A better idea would be to stop using bailouts as economic correction tools. Doesn't matter if you are bailing out the poorest with a min wage increase, or the wealthiest with shared loses...doesn't work.

The economy is a lot like nature, the more we fight it, the more we suffer.
edit on 10-10-2014 by peck420 because: Quoting the wrong person.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb
Easy, I don't agree with you!

I don't trust anything the right says about the economy!

See?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Easy, I don't agree with you!

I don't trust anything the right says about the economy!

See?

Yeah, because inflation is a right wing conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I think the pinky elephant in the fun room here is not a wage increase but corporations who are not held accountable and taxed accordingly and the inflation they are allowed to place on the economy.

It's interesting in the 1970s one could work a full time entry level job at 1.80 an hour, and still rent an apartment, pay utilities, buy food, have a tv, have a record player and records, buy a car, put gasoline in said car, have insurance for said car, and still be able to hit the club or other entertainment on the weekend. Also, people could put themselves through school since school for 4 years back then ranged from 2K a year or 5-6K for four years. People were able to pay back student loans too after school by working at walgreens or a place like that if they had 2.

Yes, we have went from being producers to consumers, but the government allowed that. If the government would tax people like GE, reinstate Glass Stegall, and end deregulation breaking up these monopolies we would see a level in the pay playing field, a stable gentrified economy that isn't holding people by the balls - AND taxation rightly so.

Americans can pay more for their iPhones if they are made stateside IF they get a better pay date that goes with a sensible economy.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Dont mention inflation

Those of the faith mentioned in your avatar do not get that concept

It is what they never emotionally wrap their heads around...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

So you are not answering the questions

PS

what's the Right?

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ripcontrol

Dont mention inflation

Those of the faith mentioned in your avatar do not get that concept

It is what they never emotionally wrap their heads around...

I don't know why. Its not that hard to understand. They must just not want to believe it.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Let's reduce the minimum wage, increase government dependence, cut taxes on corporations and millionaires and then sit back and watch humanity go to #.

Oh wait...

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

Meh. It'll just get re absorbed by businesses charging more and cutting hours or laying people off. The capitalist system is another failed ism. I'd rather not celebrate it no matter what. It's about time we move on and end class structures.

they do that anyway, charging more, cutting the hours, or laying people off...does anyone think that businesses hire or hold on to people they do not need?...c'mon, we Americans are getting smoke blown up our ass by the business community...let me ask you, the fed. minimum wage hasn't been raised in 7 years, how many fat cats or business leaders, haven't had their pay raised in 7 years. and look at congress, they have their pay automatically raised each year by law.
the regular joe is being told to suck it up and work harder to get a raise, all the while the top earners keep getting rewarded...why do you think the disparity in income is becoming greater?....it's not because the owners, wall street and business execs, or large shareholders are working any harder than they did 7 or 10 years ago.
edit on 11-10-2014 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2014 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
i keep hearing this mantra about cutting business and corporate taxes because American has the highest of industrialized countries...which is true...but, the rest of THOSE countries also have much higher personal taxes on the wealthy...none of the talking heads in media, ask these economists or business leaders why they are comparing apples to oranges. the money has to come from somewhere, the burden of taxes paid...BY PERCENTAGE of income....not actual dollars... comes from the middle and lower classes. it's been deliberately and systemically cultivated that way since the 1950's.
if a billion dollars is spent by fifty thousand people of the lower classes on various things, in various national locations, throughout the year, that stimulates the economy much more than a billionaire having a billion dollars sitting in some financial institution somewhere earning interest. but again, you will not hear that pointed out by the talking heads in the media.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

i have always thought there were pro's and con's to the major increases.

i wonder if the people that used to make $10.10 per hour will not make $12.95

makes sense

edit* i prefer to look at this as a bunch of people getting screwed, not helped.

not fair unless it is across the board...

edit on 11-10-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join