It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deserter: Iraq war is 'illegal'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Wow! mega news coming out of Canada with the Immigration and Refugee Board hearing of Jeremy Hinzman (below).

In chilling testimony intended to bolster the asylum claim of compatriot Jeremy Hinzman, former staff sergeant Jimmy Massey recounted how nervous soldiers trained to believe that all Iraqis were potential terrorists often opened fire indiscriminately.

"I was never clear on who the enemy was"

"If you have no enemy or you do not know who the enemy is, what are you doing there?"

"I was deeply concerned about the civilian casualties,"

"What they were doing was committing murder."

Deserter: Iraq war is 'illegal'

Pretty intense huh? I believe America right now is very sensitive to Hinzman's request for asylum because of parallels to the Vietnam War. The best part of this story is that it hardly exsists down south. Yesterday I called home (NY) and my old man who dedicates himself to controversial issues hasn't even heard of this Jeremy guy and his AWOL status.

Perhaps further proof of our national media stations being selective, or controlled by the Bush administration to conceal further evidence of an unjust war?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I just hope that any deserters fleeing the country and seeking asylum in other countries, and especially if there were a draft and they dodged it (gut I honestly can't imagine there being a draft), aren't let back in and pardoned like after Viet Nam. Heck, i hope the US government goes after and retreives desertes across borders and locks them up.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Search: jeremy hinzman
Found 0 documents
Tips:
Make sure you are using correct spelling
Try synonyms and variations of words.
For example: CDROM, CD-ROM
Try sorting your result by Date or Relevancy
Try your search again using our advanced search

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Fantastic Simulacra,

Your CNN search just proves that America has no choice but to accept the spoon fed news they decide to feed us. We have been soft pruned over the years watching CNN, FOX, CBS etc to accept them, to rely on them,

For them to be "the most trusted name in news"

If you're reading this and wish to deny ignorance, please search and state actual American news media sources /w link regarding this controversial story of Jeremy Hinzman's case for asylum in Canada.

Are there any at all?

[edit on 8-12-2004 by syntaxer]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Yeah, Desertion is illegal. This guy did not only desert his country, but his fellow warrior who has the guts to stand his ground and fight this war. What does this young man have to say about the 1000 men who have made the supreme sacrifice? This guy should be subjected to public hanging.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This story has been on FOX since last April and I saw yet another interview by Bill O'Reilly with a Canadian journalist as recently as last week.

www.foxnews.com...

Edited: for spelling.

[edit on 12/8/2004 by Yosemite Sam]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Syantaxer, forget it mate, it is an offence to even insinuate that US forces are commiting genocide, let alone support someone who exposes that. Apparently, this deserter is a criminal of sorts for masses(action: makes sheep sound) and should be locked up or beaten up. You are trying to talk sense into the senseless. They will need a wake-up call as loud as a nuclear blast to even have an idea of where they are.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
And I completely agree. All of the pond scum deserters currently in Canada seeking asylum should suffer the supreme penalty.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
difference between deserting during Nam was that there was a draft...this clown enlisted, and IMO is not only a deserter, but a coward...willing to say anything to avoid facing the music

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
[quote:]
"I was never clear on who the enemy was"

"If you have no enemy or you do not know who the enemy is, what are you doing there?"

"I was deeply concerned about the civilian casualties,"

"What they were doing was committing murder."

OMG! This guy doesn't like to see innocents get killed and doesn't want to kill innocents. Burn Him!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rayzor11
difference between deserting during Nam was that there was a draft...this clown enlisted, and IMO is not only a deserter, but a coward...willing to say anything to avoid facing the music

What boggles my mind is not what's being said by Hinzman himself, but what his former staff sergeant Jimmy Massey is saying. Massey is pro-Hinzman and his testimony is geared towards helping him achieve asylum status in Canada.

that trigger-happy U.S. soldiers in Iraq routinely killed unarmed woman and children, and murdered other Iraqis in violation of international law

Hey I don't know about you guys but the real reason behind this controversial topic is not the actual Hinzman's case. No, it's the ranking officers who are out there helping his case.

Read the article link, the news is regarding his segeant who's testimony is pro-Hinzman

To me, that's gotta say something regarding the truth right?
I mean their's no way in hell i would ever participate in the routine killing of unarmed woman and children, no way, jail or no jail, and not even for all the untapped oil in the world!

Messed up huh?..

[edit on 8-12-2004 by syntaxer]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
CNN.COM

Foxnews has it, they must be fair and balanced

CBS news

Soldier Seeks Asylum In Canada | December 7, 2004 20:26:17 ���
...Deserter Jeremy Hinzman (Photo: CBS) (CBS/AP) An American seeking to become the first U.S. soldier granted refugee status in Canada after refusing...
...of war, that these were evil people and they had to be dealt with," Pfc. Jeremy Hinzman, 26, told the Immigration and Refugee Board on the second of his...
..."We were told that we would be going to Iraq to jack up some terrorists," said Hinzman, who fled from Fort Bragg, N.C., on Jan. 2 and now lives in...

2. Deserters: We Won't Go To Iraq | December 7, 2004 15:12:29 ���
...Spc. Jeremy Hinzman Pfc. Dan Felushko, 24, slipped out of Camp Pendleton, Calif., and deployed himself to Canada. (Photo: CBS) Spc. Jeremy Hinzman...
...Spc. Jeremy Hinzman applied for conscientious objector status. He worked in a kitchen in Afghanistan while waiting for a decision. (Photo: CBS)...
...Spc. Jeremy Hinzman, from Rapid City, S.D., filled out those forms, and while he waited for the decision on his request, he worked in a kitchen in...

Must be a conspiracy right? Afterall, CNN only was hosting the articles about hinzman on their canadian version, and that can't be accessed in america right?

Having said that, it is baffling as to why cnn proper doesn't have a source on it. Is it possible that cnn.com excludes the canadian content, to keep them seperate and distinct?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer
If you're reading this and wish to deny ignorance, please search and state actual American news media sources /w link regarding this controversial story of Jeremy Hinzman's case for asylum in Canada.

Are there any at all?

syntaxer

There are a bunch. FoxNews.com has several stories, so does msnbc.com. Are you saying this is getting no coverage? It was all over talk radio this week.

Did you read the part about Massey and Iraqis running checkpoints? I heard something interesting this afternoon, it was a re-hash of a story that broke last year. The Fedayeen would hold members of an Iraqi family hostage and force other members to run a checkpoint to test the US soldiers' resolve. They would do other not so nice stuff like make people walk through mine fields, etc. Her's an excerpt from an article detailing some of their deeds:

The Fidayi Saddam included a special unit known as the death squadron, whose masked members performed certain executions, including in victims' homes. The Fidayi operated completely outside the law, above and outside political and legal structures.

It is difficult to establish the exact date when the beheading of women campaign began in Iraq. Witness accounts report the public beheading of women from June 2000 through to May 2001. Saddam�s Fidayi conducted the beheading operations, which took place in two stages. Accompanied by the leaders of the Ba�th party, the Fidayi made a night raid on the district. The latter was gone through with a fine toothcomb to eliminate any hints of revolt and in order to discover any weapons. The population was summoned for the next day at prayer time. They arrived at the stated hour at the home of the victim, who was dragged out in the clothes she is wearing. She was then stretched out on an iron bench, her head hanging down, in front of her children, her family and the whole population of the district. The executioner and his assistants were dressed in brown bearing the logo �Saddam�s Fidayi� and usually did not come from the district or the region. The Feddayi detailed to carry out the beheading took his sword held out by an assistant and cut�s the victim�s head off. According to the scenes described, the head was exhibited or the body and the head are thrown into black boxes and taken away. Women belonging to families suspected of being hostile to the regime or whose members are in prison as �opponents� (the term of course covers a considerable number of definitions) were particularly targeted.

www.globalsecurity.org...

I'm sure you don't mean to defend these murderers, do you?

[edit on 8-12-2004 by jsobecky]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
OMG! This guy doesn't like to see innocents get killed and doesn't want to kill innocents. Burn Him!

wow
didnt know US forces actuily had concerns about cuvilians
and that makes it bad thing for the US?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Personally I commend people like this for deserting, showing that he has the guts to reject fighting a war in a country that is no threat to America or her allies.
To simply go off to war because you were told to without questioning its objectives and motives would be the aboslute high of stupidity, regardless of letting your fellow countrymen down.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Bill O'Reilly has been giving this story all the coverage it deserves. Until there is a ruling, there isn't much to say about one or two cowards hiding out in Canada.

If Canada grants him asylum, O'Reilly will call for a boycott of Canada. You might have noticed that the French were marching today because of the decline in the wine industry caused mainly by the American boycott of French wine over the Iraq war.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Actually Grady I believe the number is over half a dozen at this point. Personally I don't really care because from my understanding they will all be deported back to the US as they have no case that would qualify them for asylum according to Canadian rules. That is why they are all WAY over the top with the wild accusations of civilian murder etc. It is thier only and last hope of escaping the justice they have so obviously earned. What irritates me is the open armed sheltering that the french Canadians on the east side of the country have provided to these cowards.

EDITED: for spelling.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I just hope that any deserters fleeing the country and seeking asylum in other countries, and especially if there were a draft and they dodged it (gut I honestly can't imagine there being a draft), aren't let back in and pardoned like after Viet Nam. Heck, i hope the US government goes after and retreives desertes across borders and locks them up.

I agree and Rush has him pegged as another John Kerry wannbe. If you follow the links already posted one site links to a url and I did try to post it however I assume it can only be acessed via the Rush network as it says access denied when I tried the link.

Wish I could have included it, trust me it was good.

Ok think I manged to get it here is the link then click on the audio link it should work from there.

www.rushlimbaugh.com...

[edit on 12/8/2004 by shots]

[edit on 12/8/2004 by shots]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
...You might have noticed that the French were marching today because of the decline in the wine industry caused mainly by the American boycott of French wine over the Iraq war.

That's interesting do you perhaps have any link? Not that it would hurt France much anyway, the sale of airplanes from Airbus (joint venture) is going well (Airbus overtook Boeing as leading maker of commercial aircrafts). Also their automotive industry is increasing market shares in Europe and China.

Blobber

Edit:
Never mind the link about the declining French wine industry, I have seen it now on my own news outlet. Though the reasons of the deteriorating French wine industry are not caused by US citizens "boycotting" the wine: the French themselves are drinking less wine and there is more competition now (Africa, South America and the USA).

[edit on 8-12-2004 by Blobber]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Thanks shots!!

www.rushlimbaugh.com...

I've been reading this site for a long time, and must say that link is one of the best in a long time!

I too respect and love each and every one of our sons and daughters that have put their lives on the line as many of the rest of us have.

I pity those that have never had the internal courage to do the same, and yet are the first ones in line to criticize those that have allowed them to live the way they do today. Seems there are several in this thread alone.

GREAT link....exposes the cowards for exactly what they are!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join