It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter 2014 set to be 'coldest for century' Britain faces ARCTIC FREEZE in just weeks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Or maybe should be in predictions

link
Its not the Mail this time but the Express (just/almost as reliable)

Heavy and persistent snow, freezing gales and sub-zero temperatures threaten to grind the country to a standstill for up to FIVE MONTHS, horrified long-range weather forecasters have warned.

The impending bout of extreme weather will come as a shock and forecasters have warned Britons should not to be lulled into a false sense of security by the recent mild conditions.

January is currently showing signs of temperatures hitting “record-breaking” lows meaning parts of the country could see the mercury plunge to -27C (-17F).

James Madden, forecaster for Exacta Weather said “significant snowfall” is likely in WEEKS with savage frosts and thick winter fogs threatening widespread misery.

The canadian geese are already here for over wintering (started arriving weeks ago which i thought seemed earlier than usual) a lot of berries on the trees but that could just be because we had a good spring summer.

I have seen pics of 3-4ft drifts here (sthrn england) from decades ago but never seen more than 2-3cm since i moved here 20+yrs ago.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

They (Daily fail, express etc) do this all the time....how do they know more than the MET office, who have stopped, or stopping to do, monthly reports because they just aren't that accurate.

It's already well into October, and I'm sat here, in the usually cold north west, in a t-shirt with the windows open.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Here In Campbell river , Canada....the geese look like they plan to stay.....though there are flocks that pass us way high up that don't even stop by......
Britain may get snow or no.....but it looks to be another mild winter coming up here......
Its kind of sad that the brits flogged most of their North Sea oil off for a few more years of playing quasi super power......
Oh well theres still lots of coal under her.....I guess that's what will become all the rage in their drawing rooms this winter.....back to the old coalscuttle and shovel....
From this vantage point I find it dumbfounding how we are wasting everything we have.....fighting over what we have left.....
Britain COULD have been at least oil independent for a time but sold it for a mess of prick waving and bull#.....(yeah Margaret)
I sometimes wonder why citizens don't get it that their countrys resources are owned collectively.....and not the
possession of corporates or governments to squander on simply even more bull#.
edit on 10-10-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

How are UK meteorologists so good? Where I'm from they can't predict rain in the nxt 24 hours.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I say bring it on!! I'm tired of those lame winters in the past.. I need my cold winters back

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
If it's the weather then it's more than likely going to be The Express. They seem to pay dubious weather companies to come up with these sensationalist headlines. They had the exact same headline two years ago.

What's behind the 'coldest weather' headline - from 2012

Those of us with a keen interest in the weather can't fail to have noticed yet another headline in the Express this weekend, claiming this winter would be the coldest in 100 years, which you can see here. Wherever I went this weekend, I've been stopped in the street by people asking me when the awful weather is likely to hit, whether they should buy winter tyres for the car, or go ahead with a planned visit to relatives at Christmas.

The headline in the Express came courtesy of little known 'Exacta Weather', a tiny private weather company, which bases its forecasts on, amongst other things, variations in solar output. But the headline this weekend is almost identical to the one from this time last year, in which the same 'Exacta Weather' forecasted severe wintry conditions throughout last winter, leading to yet another front page headline in the Express.

The audacity to produce the same article every year is comical really.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Before I even clicked on the thread I could guess it would be an Express article!

Unfortunately they have indulged printing sensationalist headlines about extreme weather for the last year and a half, none of which have come true.

At the rate they have been making weather predictions one of them has got to happen at some point, chance dictates it.

I take this news with a truckload of grit salt.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Well, much as one can never fully trust a long term prediction weather wise, I have to confess, that I am looking forward to this with great anticipation, and will be deeply disappointed if there is no snow in my area.

That said, one does have to take into serious account, the fact that a) long term predictions of weather are often proven slightly faulty by the time the cataclysmic possibilities they outline, are supposed to have come about, and b) the fact that nothing terrifies the spineless as much as being cold. Obviously fear sells. Now, if one has a medical condition which means that being out in the cold is too much for them, or if one is of an age which makes them susceptible to the sort of illnesses that being cold can cause, then that is fair enough.

However, there are far too many people in this country, who hate snow simply because they lack the spine and sense to deal with the situation sensibly when the snow does fall.

Just so that those who might be too silly to just deal with it have some useful data on the subject, I will, if I may, suggest some methods of mitigating the cold weather.

Clothing, and wearing the right kind for the weather, is the most important thing about surviving in the bitterest cold of winter. When forty plus mile an hour blizzards roll in, it is vital to have the right thickness of clothing on, otherwise you could wind up in a very bad way.

Starting then, with the feet:

Thermal socks are available from pretty much any camping and outdoors store, as well as by mail order. I get mine from Army and Navy surplus stores. Military surplus boots go on over these, which offer good ankle support, and water resistance. Onto the boots, I place some skid preventative measures, in the shape of chains strung between the edges of a ring made of rubber, which stretches around the sole of the boots. These offer much better traction on icy terrain than the rubber soles alone.

Legs:

Thermal trousers are vital for extremely cold weather, as they can, in combination with a good pair of combat trousers, prevent overmuch heat loss, as long as they are kept dry, which is a matter I will cover further down the list. Tucking the thermal trouser legs into the tops of your thermal socks, will keep the heat in your extremities for longer, which is crucial. Because falling over on ice is easy as you like, I usually elect to put knee protectors on, especially if I am walking more than a couple of miles. A smashed patella is never welcome, but it could be very dangerous when one is miles from aid.

Torso:

Heres where we go a little hardcore, for maximum heat retention. I wear long sleeved thermal shirts, tucked into the top of my thermal trousers, a vest, a sweater, a thick fleece jacket, with a water and windproof waistcoat over that, topped off with a leather trench coat. I defy ANYONE to get a cold belly wearing that lot, no matter how low the temperature gets. The trench coat helps keep the torso, arms, and legs from getting soaked by sleet and snow, which in turn keeps the whole lot warmer. If you do not own a trench coat, then get a thick military surplus water proof poncho, as it will perform the same task admirably, although it would not look nearly as badass!

Hands:

Thick leather gloves, or alternatively thick fleece lined water proof gloves. Again, if you do not have these, then any store selling a decent range of outdoor kit will have them. Do not put it off. Fingers are valuable body parts!

Head:

Now, here is where I go a bit nuts. My end of town gets cut off most years when it snows, so I often have to walk three miles through a blizzard, just to go to the flipping pub. In order to do that with the minimum risk of me catching a cold (which I minimise purely to ensure I am available for work in the morning), I have to take some precautions to prevent untoward consequences.

First, I don a neoprene diving hood, the bottom of which extends out over my shoulders a little bit, and fits inside the collar of my waistcoat. It has obvious advantages over a balaclava, where dealing with water ingress is concerned. Then I wrap a bandana around my mouth and nose, and put on my aviators goggles. At this point, exactly zero skin is exposed to the elements. Because there is a risk of falling on ice, I also put on a plastic, faux leather covered helmet.

Do I wind up looking like the sand filled, clockwork warrior from Hellboy when wearing that stuff? Yes. Do I give a crap that people look at me funny? No. Why? Because unlike the people who gawp and laugh, and look at me as if I just fell out of the wardrobe department of a bad play based on the life of Darth Vader, I will be TOASTY in that lot, whereas I have walked past people on my way home in a blizzard, who are wearing trainers, have exposed necks, or no hat what so ever, or have been out long enough to become soaked, and are HATING it, and will likely not be going to work tomorrow, and furthermore cannot travel nearly as far as I can, in that weather, in that wardrobe.

IF it gets bad this winter, forget how much of a nutter you look, and look after yourselves adequately. No matter what you look like, its a hell of a lot better than winding up blue, stiff, and dead.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Look at it in a positive way.

Maybe mother natures way of keeping everyone indoors fo a long period of time in order to avoid the spread of certain viruses!

Just throwing my two centimes of €uros out there

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Because falling over on ice is easy as you like, I usually elect to put knee protectors on, especially if I am walking more than a couple of miles. A smashed patella is never welcome, but it could be very dangerous when one is miles from aid.

Experience says the tail bone is what gets fallen on more often. Twist slightly to the side on your way down if there's time, to ensure landing on the fleshy bits of your butt.

I'm so glad I live in Canada, where an arctic freeze just means a normal winter, and our stores are full of good winter clothing (boots, snowpants, jackets) which may be rated as good for -40.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
How can they predict with accuracy the weather conditions in January? I'm confused....

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

The Express predicted exactly the same thing last year. It turned out to be one of the mildest (and wettest) winters ever.

www.express.co.uk...

100 DAYS OF HEAVY SNOW: Britain now facing worst winter in SIXTY YEARS warn forecasters
LONG-RANGE weather forecasters have warned that Britain should prepare for heavy and persistent snow for up to THREE MONTHS with winter 2013 set to be the worst in more than 60 years.

The "Daily Excess" is beyond a joke when it comes to the weather.

edit on 10-10-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

The tailbone is a nasty thing to fall on, but I always try to keep my feet, and especially keep my weight slightly forward. Given that Canada gets much colder than here in Britain, I would love to know your thoughts on the rest of my preparations.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I love the cold harsh weather I can't wait.
And finally I can make a snow family with my autistic dudes

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Erm...Coldest Winter For A Century?? Don't Bet On It...

www.netweather.tv...

But Polar bears could be seen at Highland Wildlife Park soon

rzss.wordpress.com...

Thermals ready Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
If the volcano in Iceland goes, it might do things to the weather that are reasonably unpleasant for us in the Northern hemisphere. Although I don't know if it would give the UK the worst winter in 100 years.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

what is wrong with you people cold is just the pits,,,,,

i will not give up my nice toasty weather for anything...in fact my surfboard is about to get its morning workout

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hellas

I say bring it on!! I'm tired of those lame winters in the past.. I need my cold winters back

Careful what you wish for.

Extremes can ultimately lead to a complete sustained shift in climate. Also bring devastating storms, wreck economies, kill livestock, ruin agricultural growing seasons, increase energy demands beyond sustainable levels, leaving millions starving and in the cold eventually.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
You're definitely bundled up well.

A lot more clothing than I throw on, but it also sounds like a wet snow that you're dealing with. Good to keep all skin covered well. Especially when windy.

Here its more of a dry snow, the colder it gets, the drier and fluffier it gets.
Still really slippery to walk on the packed ice, but at least falling doesn't get us wet. I hate being wet and cold. I'd rather be even colder, just to avoid the wet snow.

You must be quite the sight when wandering about in all your full winter gear

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Hmm. Britain was an evil country for many years. Still is to some degree.
God's wrath is a winter of hell... again.

I'm laughing my ass off as I prayed for it to happen last year as well as this one.
Sue me.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join