It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's face palm-worthy comment on Ebola

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: muse7

I've been trying to say that all along, but apparently I'm just a moron.

Science and actual facts have a liberal bias

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Here is a fact.
You can catch ebola just by sitting on a bus that has been used by someone that has ebola.
You don't even have to be sitting next to anyone.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Here is a fact.
You can catch ebola just by sitting on a bus that has been used by someone that has ebola.

You're missing a very important aspect of the issue here. What you should be saying is "You can catch ebola just by sitting on a bus that has been used by someone that has ebola, IF they have left body fluids to come in contact with".

That's a very important difference and apparently in West Africa, many people don't understand that. That's the reason Obama made this speech.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

That's not really true...

If they're not showing any symptoms, they're not infectious. If they don't cough or sneeze (coughing is only one symptom) then they don't spread the virus. If they keep their hands clean (wash your hands people!) the chance of infection is greatly reduced!

Unless you exchange bodily fluids with someone who is showing symptoms of Ebola, you will not catch Ebola!

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Here is a fact.

Back up your "facts" with a credible source then I'll believe you. Until then your "facts" are nothing more than made up fear mongering drivel.
edit on 10/11/2014 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Dontcha know? You can catch Ebola by saying Ebola! (it's a demon after all and that's how it get's into you!)

lol

Man this country needs more science classes in school. I'm surprised that someone on FOX News hasn't said that you can catch Ebola by looking at a picture of it yet.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

Here is a fact.

Back up your "facts" with a credible source then I'll believe you. Until then your "facts" are nothing more than made up fear mongering drivel.

Well... why would that need to be backed up?

A single peep with ebola in the infectious stage sneezes on a bus. Good luck. Its now everywhere.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Lol, this is so absurd that it's funny.

Time to correct this misinformation mr obama.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: links234
My post is true.
You can contract Ebola by riding on a bus... and you don't need to be sitting next to anyone.

The proof is out there.
ATS Thread
Ebola is viable for hours in body fluids on surfaces. The links have already been posted.
If a healthcare worker can catch it in a hospital, I think it is entirely possible to contract the virus on a bus.
edit on bu312014-10-12T05:07:23-05:0005America/ChicagoSun, 12 Oct 2014 05:07:23 -05005u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

edit on b000000312014-10-12T05:08:11-05:0005America/ChicagoSun, 12 Oct 2014 05:08:11 -0500500000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
DP
edit on bu312014-10-12T05:26:33-05:0005America/ChicagoSun, 12 Oct 2014 05:26:33 -05005u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Anyone hear that....
it's crickets.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It's crickets because there is no point in trying to continually point out the very simple concept you are missing, or deliberately passing over.

Let's say that you and I are standing near each other. I have ebola and you do not? Are you going to catch ebola?

No.

What has to happen for you to catch it from me?

You have to become exposed to my bodily fluids. Correct?

Same thing applies to the bus scenario. Just because you are sitting next to someone with ebola does not mean you are going to catch it. You have to come in contact with their fluids.

Do you grasp that very important distinction?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

I may be wrong, but I think that he is pointing out that many people come into contact with fluids, be it a sneeze or a drippy nose without ever knowing they did so. Then they stop and grab a sandwich for lunch without washing up and wallaa! They're now infected.

It only takes 1 to 10 microbes to become infected. That alone makes for very high odds of others passing it on.

A sneeze is effectively an aerosol with droplets. If you are close enough to a uncontrolled sneeze, then yes, it is a airborne pathogen within a limited space, such as a bus.
edit on 12-10-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I agree. Just pointing out the distinction that was the entire premise of the speech Obama made. You have to come in to contact with fluids and you cannot get it by simply being in the same vicinity (airborn).

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I think that this is becoming an emotional issue and people who are not educated or those who believe everything they read on the web are freaking out. Oft times, when people are scared, even the educated ones forget things.

I look at this as similar to combat. Slow is smooth, smooth equals fast. Meaning keep a level head at all times.

To me, many of the Ebola debates are arguments where everybody is in agreement for the most part, but it is each individuals methods of discussion that others disagree with. (In the military, we called that a fluster cluck circle jerk)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Once again, I agree.

My reason for even getting involved in this thread was to point out that Obama's comments, although he used a bad example, were factually correct.

Yet, this thread is full of comments calling Obama a liar, spreading disinformation and of course no obama-hate thread would be complete if we didn't mention Pelosi, immigrants, ISIS and Harry Reid.

You can find all that in this thread.

So this was not about what purpose the speech served or the content of the speech, this was another circle-jerk thread that lacked any intelligent conversation.

If we want to bash Obama, there are many things we can discuss, but we do not have to take things out of context, as is usually the case with these threads, to do so.
edit on 10/12/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/12/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Oh, I think it's gonna get worse. Currently we have two people (one now dead) who have Ebola and people are freakin' out.

Imagine what it will be like when there are 50 people confirmed with Ebola out of a Nation of 316.1 million people.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Don't even go there. Pray it never goes THAT far.

If there is an urban city lockdown, or mandatory enforced quarantine combined with widespread panic, you can't possibly imagine how bad it can be.

Get your bus tickets now...

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Point out where I said it was airborne....
can you grasp that?
You do get it, right?

I said you can get it on a bus.... without even sitting next to anyone.
Why are they decontaminating common areas In a Dallas neighborhood?
edit on b000000312014-10-12T15:02:44-05:0003America/ChicagoSun, 12 Oct 2014 15:02:44 -0500300000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Anyone hear that....
it's crickets.

The regrouping and re-thinking phases are underway.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join