It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops pepper spray black teen inside his white foster family's home after assuming he was a burglar

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

North Carolina police pepper sprayed a black foster teen inside his own home Monday after neighbors reported him as a possible burglar.

DeShawn Currie, 18, who lives with his white foster parents in Fuquay-Varina, entered his home through an unlocked side door when a neighbor spotted him and called 911. Police responded and confronted Mr. Currie inside the house, Gawker reported.

“They was like, ‘Put your hands on the door,’” the teen told a local ABC affiliate. “I was like, ‘For what? This is my house.’ I was like, ‘Why are y’all in here?’”

www.washingtontimes.com...

Just can't believe this.
edit on 8-10-2014 by Boeing777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It's obviously his fault for being black. Didn't you know that all black people are burglars?

/sarcasm

What a sad country we live in. Those cops are morons.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boeing777

Just can't believe this.

I too am surprised that he is not dead.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Boeing777

Just can't believe this.

It's a crappy situation and I'm sorry it happened but it's pretty understandable.

A bad time to argue with the cops is when they suspect you of burglary.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Appalling, look's like someone forgot to teach these people the concept of innocent until proven guilty, the kid is lucky they did not shoot him.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
More proof that just being black is a crime in and if itself.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

But you are in your own home...
I wouldn't want to be bothered by the cops in my home either, silly things called rights and all
edit on thWed, 08 Oct 2014 18:43:43 -0500America/Chicago1020144380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
He's just lucky he wasn't a white kid adopted by a black family in a black neighborhood.

(does that even happen?)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

It's not like they just went in and maced him. They were clearly trying to ascertain if he belonged in the home (pointing out pictures of the family on the mantle etc.) and he "got into an argument" with them.

Really just a crappy situation. I can understand why the kid got upset. As he said he was finally starting to feel at home and loved and then someone thinks he's breaking in.

What are the cops supposed to do? Take him at his word? If a neighbor was concerned enough to call and they show up, they can't just leave before finding out.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

Just can't believe this.

Exactly... this almost feels like a feel good story. There was no death. Thank god the kid didn't make any sudden movements.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

A handicap and a crime altogether....not playing the race card but i wonder if they would have call the cops if it was a white teen...or if the cops would have pepper sprayed the kid had he not been black....

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Yeah, I would be peeved too. Still, the cops weren't just driving by and saw a black guy walking into a house. A neighbor called it in. Imagine you get that call. You're going to have to figure out who the person is (regardless of race) or risk having some psycho chop up a family because you believed he was a foster kid. Cops hear crazy lies all the time.

I was in a similar situation once. I was living in an apartment and the previous tenant had a bunch of warrants. Cops showed up in the middle of the night pounding on my door. I asked them through the door what they wanted and they told me. "Oh, I'm not him." "Ok, would you please show us ID so we can update the info and not bug you again?". Sure. Ended up having worked with one of the guys back in the day so I was a little less irritated.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

We all know better than to drive while black but... now you can't even live in your house while black?!

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArmyOfNobunaga

Just can't believe this.

Exactly... this almost feels like a feel good story. There was no death. Thank god the kid didn't make any sudden movements.

Wow... what a horrible, sad, and true statement.

It's gotten to the point that anything short of death by a cop is a "good" experience.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ArmyOfNobunaga

Quite, we need positive vibes. They should have spun it as "Black teen survives encounter with Police" and made more of the story

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: ArmyOfNobunaga

Just can't believe this.

Wow... what a horrible, sad, and true statement.

It's gotten to the point that anything short of death by a cop is a "good" experience.

I feel the same man.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: wildapache

Hell no they wouldn't. White people might have powerful parents or friends. Black people almost never do. Black is the reason for the call and the violence. It's sad people say this is a good story because he didn't get shot. A black kid doing nothing wrong was attacked in his own home because a nosy neighbor was suspicious. I guess the neighbor card enough to call in a crime but not enough to know his neighbor had a black foster child. See something say something seems to be working well. I've broken into my own home numerous times and no one has ever bothered me. I've always been caught with drugs numerous times and never gone to jail. It's nice being white.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
This incident clearly shows how blacks are stereotyped in both the white community and among the police.

This reminds me when my house was robbed by three white older teens. I was building an addition onto my house at the time when three white guys drove up my driveway and broke in through my addition when nobody was home. The elderly lady across the street noticed these guys and automatically thought they were construction workers working on the addition during the day. So she didn't consider calling the police.

I sometimes wonder if these same guys were all black, if she would have thought the same thing. We have a couple of black families in the neighborhood, but it's mostly an all white neighborhood. You also have to consider, if this happened in an all black neighborhood, with a white teen entering a home, if the same thing would also happen.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Story is teen in own home says something cops don't like so for their safety they needed to pepper spray him.

This video sums up their mentality.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

As has been shown time and again the biggest predictor for police brutality is in any way questioning their authority. If you do anything besides be utterly subservient or if you mention your rights or the constitution you will be attacked, harassed or arrested.

I once had to deal with taking off work every Tuesday for three months to deal with a misdemeanor because my dumbass friend didn't cooperate. He got handcuffed and screamed at by the cop he annoyed while I chatted pleasantly with the other cops who told me quite candidly that that particular cop was an asshole. The asshole cop wouldn't sign a form we needed to proceed in court for months clearly out of spite. One signature and he was too busy.

Cops only get in trouble if they egregiously abuse a rich person. Everyone else is fair game. So remember next time you get pulled over. You have no rights or power and the cops can do what they please. Don't stand up for yourself. They'll take you down caveman style.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join