It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC man hospitalized for symptoms of Ebola

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
"His symptoms included fever, vomiting and diarrhea, the sources said. "

This being flu season it paves the way to lock up half the Country. Same symptoms after all.

Nice huh?

Peace

Which is why the ERs are going to be inundated and overwhelmed with people with unspecific Ebola or flu-like illnesses. There is NO WAY they are prepared for this, they're understaffed in the best of circumstances.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I certainly won't be going to any airports. If I needed to I wouldn't go home to my children.

originally posted by: joho99
a reply to: Iamthatbish

No he would have been under the impression Nigeria was ebola free.

Or are you saying no one should go to airports?

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune
This man has been given the all-clear, even though he just got to the hospital today. There's no way they can say for certain whether or not he has Ebola, given that reliable tests for that disease takes several days.

What are they trying to hide?

New York comicon is this weekend... Last thing the city needs is a panic situation during the con. This con puts hundreds of thousands of people in one room and is a major money maker for the state. Last thing they need is ebola putting a kink in it.

I'm actually glad I wasn't able to attend this year, considering this news.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I certainly won't be going to any airports. If I needed to I wouldn't go home to my children.

originally posted by: joho99
a reply to: Iamthatbish

No he would have been under the impression Nigeria was ebola free.

Or are you saying no one should go to airports?

This is a conversation my husband and I have had..he travels...it's entirely possible he isn't allowed back in the house for 21 days, depending on the circumstances.
He voluntarily agrees.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
They took him to Bellvue. He is going to die either way. That is like asking for fire and knocking on death's door. NO WAY they can contain this. They can't contain crabs.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Just shut the damn airport departures in West Africa...to anywhere.
You can go in but you can't come out.
There's a thing called Skype: it can take the place of businees meetings and family reunions, for now.
Shut it all down until it gets under control.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
According to OP's source, the man has now been cleared. Thank goodness! Glad they are taking precautions and got him treatment ASAP.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
there must be hundreds of people in the city experiencing nausea, fever and diarrhea. people have been calling out sick at my job the past few weeks with similar issues.

i'm just hoping its not a case of the hospital clearing him prematurely. then he goes out and about and infects a handful of other people and it spreads like wild fire from there.

fingers crossed that it was just something benign like a fever. otherwise all hell could break loose....

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
NYC is also running ebola drills having people walk into hospitals with Ebola-like symptoms and claiming to have returned from West Africa.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: SunnyRunner360
NYC is also running ebola drills having people walk into hospitals with Ebola-like symptoms and claiming to have returned from West Africa.

And that's fine a d dandy as long as this thing isn't or doesn't go airborne. Once it does just having someone show up in ERs is a death sentence.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This scene keeps springing to mind; this is what your local hospital yard will look like, ten minutes after the panic sets in:

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Starling

Ah, Skype for family reunions, what a hoot. And if you're married, fleshlight and some fruit perhaps, and you're good to go. Throw some Japanese tech in there, a dash of Oculus Rift....really more or less could be a permanent thing.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I just realized I work on the 10th floor of NYC's Ebola HQ!

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

The most reliable test for the disease takes as little as several HOURS. 3 or 4. ... not several days.

I imagine at least one hospital in NY would be able to perform that test given that the man that was POSITIVE for Ebola was diagnosed in... wait for it... several hours.

I imagine the 48 hour time frame is to allow travel for the specimen to be taken to a lab, tests to be run, and then results to be returned to the appropriate party. It also allows them time to come up with a press release if , in fact, they do turn out to positive.

I dont know why everyone is so convinced that they cant get a negative test back that quick. we have all been reading the exact same information. I even quoted an article, and linked the same article.. in atleast 2 other threads that you have been saying its "impossible for them to know that quick"

Just because 'they" hide stuff from us sometimes.... doesnt mean that everytime they are. IF it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, acts like a duck... sometimes it really is a duck and not some govt engineered plot to brainwash us all..

There are legitimate things, A LOT of legitimate things, to be worried or concerned about regarding this outbreak. There is no need to add to the hype by blatantly repeating information you should know isnt entirely correct.

Yes there are tests that take a lot longer, but they are not as reliable as the test that normally returns in 3 or 4 hours. Unless you are saying that they are not choosing to use the most reliable testing method?

ETA:
I went to a standard seach engine and searched "how long does it take for tests to diagnose Ebola". Simple enough. I will link one last time.

Source

Thomas Ksiazek, a professor at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston who has done extensive research on Ebola, says that testing is done using a process called real-time RT-PCR, or reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction. In this technique, doctors or medical personnel take samples of blood from a patient. They then add an enzyme to convert RNA found in the blood into DNA (RNA is a chemical messenger that helps turn DNA’s “instructions” into proteins). Next, a “primer” is added that targets a string of genetic code unique to the Ebola virus. The concoction is then run through a PCR machine, wherein that strand of Ebola genetic material is amplified, or copied, many times (if it’s there, that is. If it’s not, nothing happens and the test returns a negative.)

Finally, a chemical probe is added that binds to these snippets of DNA and alerts the scientists to the presence of the Ebola virus, Ksiazek tells Newsweek. The whole process can take as little as three to four hours.

A technique called ELISA can also be used to diagnose Ebola, but it takes longer and also requires at least 100 times more individual viruses for an accurate result to be obtained than RT-PCR—meaning it is less sensitive, and doesn’t catch the virus as soon as the latter technique, Ksiazek says. The PCR technique was first widely used to diagnose Ebola in 2000. Several groups of researchers are working on even faster, more portable tests, using disposable materials resembling home pregnancy tests, Science magazine reported last week. Two of the diagnostics will be tested in the coming weeks.

It is not only COMPLETELY reasonable to assume they have the tests results back. I think it is illogical to assume that it is impossible to have results back within 48 hours.
edit on 113122504pm31America/Chicagov by itswhatev because: (no reason given)

edit on 113155504pm31America/Chicagov by itswhatev because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join