It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spain Warns "Something Went Wrong" As Suspected Ebola Cases Rise In Madrid

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Despite being described by Spain's public health director as "a national jewel," the head of Spain's Nursing Council warns "something went wrong" in the health care system's protocols. As RT reports, Spanish health officials have 4 patients interned including infected initial nurse, her husband, and a 2nd nurse (male). Furthermore, 22 more possible Ebola cases are under surveillance having had direct contact with the infected nurse during her vacation after being infected (officials have said they 'don't know' how she became infected with the deadly virus). Images within the hospital show "irregularities" and make-shift isolation units and an insider account said "I do not want to create social alarm, but explain what is still a reality everyday for a few months of nursing staff at the ICU.". One researcher noted "air traffic is the driver.," and added ominously, "it's just a matter of who gets lucky and who gets unlucky."

Source

Here we have nurses saying that the hospital was not using negative isolation because the people in charge said there was no fear of airborne infection. So rather than take the extra precautionary step they just decided to setup a makeshift isolation area for the Ebola infected patient? Sounds like a good level headed call to me.

Also it is sounding like the nurse in question did take all the proper steps to safeguard against coming into contact with the patient, but still somehow contracted it. Is this a possible case for airborne transmission?

Now there are 4 people that are in quarantine there and 22 people being closely monitored after the nurse that became infected had to insist on being tested for Ebola because they would not administer the test when first asked. I think that some people that are in charge are either in denial that this is happening, attempting to protect their position, or just blatantly allowing this to spread.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

Its hard to say conclusively that it is air borne at this point due to not being able to go over every step this nurse took in dealing with the original patient. At any point did she not have on gloves? Was there a hole in the gloves she did have on? etc. I know that places like USAMRIID does use negative pressure in their level 4 labs just for air borne cases,but we don't know if this was a cause or not. Small pox has and can go air borne as in the case in Germany.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

I agree that it isn't conclusive that it is airborne, but there are more and more doctors and nurses contracting the virus while wearing protective gear. The next question is would they tell us if they did find out that it was in fact airborne, or would they hide it hoping it was an isolated case?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

(officials have said they 'don't know' how she became infected with the deadly virus)

They brought people with Ebola into their country is how.

That "we don't knooow" statement is a cover for the people that have permi$$ion to do such a stupid thing, imo. You and I would never be allowed that "luxury". Personally, thats why the Dallas case lied to get back here. To get better treatment, regardless of the consequences to others.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I think Ebola is mutating, and becoming even more infectious. I also think that some of the Ebola cases were deliberatley let into countries, like the man that flew to Dallas. If a Pharmaceutical company wanted to get the newest strain of Ebola, from a live patient without having to go to Africa, and see how it is mutating and spreading. I know it sounds crazy but something just doesnt feel right about the case in Dallas, and now Spain. Scary that the nurse was on her vacation while spreading the Ebola virus, this has the potential to become such a rapidly spreading virus.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr & Glassbender777

I would like to know why this nurse had to insist on being tested, and why they would not test her for Ebola when she first had symptoms. They couldn't have been trying to cover their collective backsides.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I would like to know why this nurse had to insist on being tested…

She suspected she had been exposed, maybe. That lends to her knowing she screwed up. If it was airborne, how could she otherwise suspect she was contaminated?

Just bouncing off what you are saying, I don't know the details of what happened to her.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Looking at the all different bits of clothing that the workers have to wear (googles, hood, gloves, trousers, boots, all held together with duct tape), I'm not surprised people are getting infected. Fluids could get through the tape or gaps.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It was after she started exhibiting symptoms that she initially asked to be tested and they refused. It wasn't until days later she insisted on being tested and that is when it came back positive.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Here is what the CDC and the WHO think is currently sufficient for EBOLA and PPE use:

WHO EBOLA PPE POSTER.

CDC EBOLA PPE POSTER.

Any claim a breathing apparatus is now required is acknowledgment the virus indeed is airborn.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I think that's because they're so damned convinced it's not airborne. Obviously, they need to rethink this.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_

It was after she started exhibiting symptoms that she initially asked to be tested and they refused. It wasn't until days later she insisted on being tested and that is when it came back positive.

I see. Sort of like the case in Dallas… turned away the first time.

That is one of the reasons Ebola is so dangerous. It hides… in the early symptoms stage it appears to be so many other things.

I wish they would take a lesson from this new case in Spain… but they won't. This is what will do us, eventually. People that think they can play around because of alll their safe guards…

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Ya know...., I am beginning to suspect the "peter principal" is the cause of all the trouble in the world....
Seems like everyone who has some authority is totally incompetent.....
This is way above the heads of those in charge...and they just cant handle the decisions that will be required of them to get this stopped....Pandemic here we come.....

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Ya know...., I am beginning to suspect the "peter principal" is the cause of all the trouble in the world....
Seems like everyone who has some authority is totally incompetent.....
This is way above the heads of those in charge...and they just cant handle the decisions that will be required of them to get this stopped....Pandemic here we come.....

Lol you just described the American healthcare system especially at the hospital level. You should see all the over educated incompetent nursing managers running things! Talk about scary! If this Ebola thjng goes off in the US you will see what true middle management can really do when it comes to dysfunction and inefficiency!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
it's almost like something from a movie, innit?

Looking at the all different bits of clothing that the workers have to wear (googles, hood, gloves, trousers, boots, all held together with duct tape), I'm not surprised people are getting infected. Fluids could get through the tape or gaps.

(pro-tip #217) frenziedly scribble the above on a scrap of half-burnt paper
and leave it in the restroom at your place of work

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
Here is what the CDC and the WHO think is currently sufficient for EBOLA and PPE use:

WHO EBOLA PPE POSTER.

CDC EBOLA PPE POSTER.

Any claim a breathing apparatus is now required is acknowledgment the virus indeed is airborn.

Ummm...the CDC PPE protocols are BACKWARDS! Why on earth would one remove the GLOVES FIRST while doffing their PPE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? That would get all the crap that is on the PPE all over your hands!!!

GLOVES ARE ALWAYS LAST!!!! That is PPE 101 !!!!

Also the W.H.O. PPE protocols says to use "Double gloves" when doing heavy work - assuming lifting of sorts - THIS IS ALSO A BIG NO NO - double gloving causes friction between gloves and thus a quicker breakdown of the glove...while possibly not giving the wearer full knowledge that it is broken before it is too late. THIS IS INSANE! The protocols are causing the spread. I assume most health care workers are aware of this, but perhaps not in the countries that promote critical thinking.

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong, but this is backwards as to how I was taught to don and doff PPE during the SARS "outbreak".

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Perhaps she did screwup.
How ever if i was treating someone and had a fever days later i would be asking for a test to and i think most people would.

So i do not think asking for a test would be evidence that she screwed up more that healthy paranoia kicked in.

edit on 7-10-2014 by joho99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic

WHO EBOLA PPE POSTER.

CDC EBOLA PPE POSTER.

Ummm...the CDC PPE protocols are BACKWARDS! Why on earth would one remove the GLOVES FIRST while doffing their PPE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? That would get all the crap that is on the PPE all over your hands!!!

Also the W.H.O. PPE protocols says to use "Double gloves" when doing heavy work - assuming lifting of sorts - THIS IS ALSO A BIG NO NO - double gloving causes friction between gloves and thus a quicker breakdown of the glove...while possibly not giving the wearer full knowledge that it is broken before it is too late. THIS IS INSANE! The protocols are causing the spread. I assume most health care workers are aware of this, but perhaps not in the countries that promote critical thinking.

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong, but this is backwards as to how I was taught to don and doff PPE during the SARS "outbreak".

Lets be real though..... Standard PPE protocols in the hospital are not going to be effective against Ebola. It's too insidious! These people should be donning full hazmat suits. That's what they used to clean up the apartment complex. And for good reason. Like I've said hospitals will spread this crap like crazy due to their lax and dysfunctional protocols.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic

WHO EBOLA PPE POSTER.

CDC EBOLA PPE POSTER.

Lets be real though..... Standard PPE protocols in the hospital are not going to be effective against Ebola. It's too insidious! These people should be donning full hazmat suits. That's what they used to clean up the apartment complex. And for good reason. Like I've said hospitals will spread this crap like crazy due to their lax and dysfunctional protocols.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
It's true about the double gloving. They teach you not to do that in Basic when getting cleared to work in refineries in certain areas. You can put a latex/nitrile glove under a much larger PVC glove though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join