It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: No Christmas in America?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Some American communities are in a turmoil this holiday season. From Maine to Washington State (USA) banning of references to religion during the Christmas season are in the news and on the rise. Maplewood, New Jersey (USA) banned Christmas carols from a high school band program. Even instrumental pieces with no vocalization were excluded. Denver, Colorado (USA). Reference to religion has become more and more unacceptible.

abcnews.go.com
The controversy is by no means an isolated case. The role of religion during the Christmas season is a source of annual angst. But this year, people in "red," or Republican, America � particularly Christian conservatives � are in an unprecedented uproar.
They are sending letters to public schools in Chicago, where the words "Merry Christmas" have been excised from a popular song; boycotting Macy's, which has removed "Merry Christmas" signs from its department stores; and protesting the exclusion of a church group from Denver's annual Parade of Lights.
"What they don't understand is that by not wanting to offend anyone, they're excluding a huge group of people, and that is all of those of the Christian faith," said Doug Newcomb, business administrator of the Faith Bible Chapel in Arvada, Colo.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

From Denver (Co., USA) a large Catholic news letter rails against the removal of Christ from Christmas. The Archbishop has taken the Denver mayor to task over plans to remove all references to religion and insert the politically correct 'happy holidays' slogan instead in city related festivities.

Seattle, Washington (state, USA) in a nearby community the Charles Dickens play 'A Christmas Carol' was removed from a program so that no one would be offended. By removing something that might offended the minority any lose to majority seems justified.

Is this a growing trend in America? These public officials that remove any and all reference to God or Christ during Christmas for the sake of 'least offense' are doing the majority, the people that also have rights, a disservice. The American Declaration of Independence clearly states:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,

By calling upon the Creator as a source of rights the first people that could call themselves American in the national sense of the term notified the world and posterity that a higher being, God, was the source of their power. Now, two centuries later the Americans still have trouble deciding what these rights are. Are Americans next to remove 'Rudolph' (the reindeer) and 'Frosty' (the snowman) for the sake of their Pagan appeal? How much tolerance does it take to be intolerant?

Related News Links:
www.denverpost.com
seattletimes.nwsource.com
story.news.yahoo.com

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
This is just the beginning of the persecution. as time goes on, more and more references to Christianity will be removed from mainstream America, until it will be a crime to be Christian in this country. You can say all you want about the Repuiblicans being in an uproar. But it won't make a hill of beans in comparison to the Pagan outcry of "I am offended."

I saw a man on TV last night decrying the spirit of Christmas because the festal nature of the season makes a small subsection of society feel excluded. The initial spokesman for the way of things to come?? You betcha!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
You can thank the aclu for setting a precedent... Here were have a nice big lighted up manger with a baby jesus *gasp* just to rub it in...

The beauty of it is that it's on the most busiest street in town and it's on PRIVATE PROPERTY... That's gotta drive em nuts...

Some stores say merry christmas on them and inside, some don't....

I'd rather pay attention to the stores that are bright and cheery.
And the ones that cave into such bs like this, I sympathize, but god, talk about being pu**y whipped... screw the athiests and the other scrooges that want to ruin the meaning of christmas...

I'd like to have a game of christmas darts on their heads. Perhaps that will get the pc bug out of em... God, how pathetic...

ps: If everybody wants to participate in the FU game, i'd recommend going to the dollar store where they sell Merry Christmas banners for a dollar...
They have some other good ones too...

Just to send a nice message to all these bahumbug aholes that they will not ruin christmas because they have a pc bug stuck up their ass and have a beef with a man of whom they don't respect....

I say the respect starts at home... If you can't respect yourself how can you respect others?? Just something my mom taught me as a kid.

[edit on 8-12-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   

boycotting Macy's, which has removed "Merry Christmas" signs from its department stores

Wow, are people so anal that a private organization can't make its own decisions if they dont mesh with the public? Jeeze, they should be able to put up or not put up whatever they want within reason, its not like the have to cater to one group or another, unless they really want their money.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights

I hate to get technical on this, and its not flaming at all, but the underlined phrase does not directly scream God or any other deity for that matter, the fact it specifies their to me and probably to many means 'to each their own.' On that note people just need to chill the hell out and find something more constructive to do during the holidays than piss and moan about Merry Christmas sign, its not a BFD.

As for pointing fingers at Pagans crying 'im offended' its a two way street, both christians and pagans have crowds within the larger that are straight up nitpicking numbskulls who choose to spend their time taking shots at the other instead of just practicing their faith and leaving the other alone...oh wait, did I just say that Pagans and Christians aren't that different
yes, so both need to STFU and get on with more important things than mudsligning!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I'm offended by companies that do not have a manger setup. So I think I will sue them for not supporting Christmas.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I am all for the christian aspect of this country being phased out, but banning christmas carols and movies is just retarded...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
I am all for the christian aspect of this country being phased out, but banning christmas carols and movies is just retarded...

Then you also agree to have the Jewish aspect of this country being phased out too, and all the other religions that particpate in the celebratation...

America is a melting pot and should be treated as such, with all religions allowed to particpate free of persecution...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I think the article points out an important fact: there's always been a certain critical eye during this time of year. From the non-christians at having this particular religious holiday plastered about, to the christians for all the pagan and secular aspects.

I think the only reason there's a 'greater' outcry this year, is that religion is a particular hot issue right now, so people are sensitive.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
I think the only reason there's a 'greater' outcry this year, is that religion is a particular hot issue right now, so people are sensitive.

And you can thank the libbies for putting that into thier follower's heads......
Where else does this come from?? Surely the majority of people watch the news, and listen to their favorite talk show hosts of whom share the same political ideology with....

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This country was founded on religous beliefs. All religions are given equal status along with the rights of citizens to practice and show their faith wether it is through a manger scene or otherwise. I'm not jewish but I do not want to block jews from showing their faith. It is like I do not like Howard Stern so I just change the channel. I do not call for the banning of Stern. If everyone in the US wants to keep their freedoms they need to respect everyone elses freedoms. Even if that means you do not agree with them.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
While I don't believe in the Christian God or any of the tales that go along it, I find it outrageous that a very small group of P.C. morons can produce so much piss to fill the punch-bowl.

Do I care that I'm not included or feel a connection with their holiday? No. I smile and nod when I'm wished a "Merry Christmas" or even respond with my own; nothing wrong with being friendly.

I do enjoy the warmth and kindness that this holiday can sometimes bring and have fun with the secular aspects i.e. gift giving, gathering with friends and family etc...I put up a tree and decorate the house for my five-year-old simply because it's so much fun, for her and me. Once she's older, she can decide if she wishes to follow any religious path, for now it's leaving cookies and milk for Santa.

This is just one holiday for one religion. If my local government wants to put a Nativity up on land that is paid for by my taxes so be it. I can think of things much worse that my tax dollars are going to like $180 a day to house an inmate. If a local store wants to put a sign on the roof of their building screaming "Merry Christmas" So what?

Let 'em alone and for God's sake (ironic ain't it?) grow the hell up.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
While Church and State should be seperate, We are getting far to PC for our own good. This should not hurt people who choose to celebrate the birth of Christ in there own way and continue to do so. But, We would not have Christmas, for Christ Sakes (sorry to steal the above pun) .

On another Note, Jesus, wasnt born in Winter, and the Christians in an effort to get more Pagans in With out alieniating them, took there celebration (Winter Solstis? Not Sure) and Choose to Celebrate then. This way Pagans had an easier transition to Christianity.

But I mean its the one time of the year, alot of people act the way they should act. No matter who or where you are from.

And who are these people that are offened? Please get a life and stop the Playa Hating =)

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
So you want to force people to celebrate your religious holidays? Christmas must be in schools, at businesses? What about Easter? What about Palm Sunday and Ash Wednesday? Epiphany? Lent?

The era of the USA being for WASPs only is over. The people have taken the USA back and we are bringing the USA back to it's roots. Liberty and justice for all. If you want to celebrate your religion, fine. Go to church, sacrifice a chicken, and have fun.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
This is pretty ridiculous.The PC movement is finally showing its retarded head for all to see now.Pack them all to sunny Singapore and they will see each religious festival being celebrated with gusto by those who are part of it and without fear too.I weep for America as the nuts have turned it upside down.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter

What in the world would this accomplish?

TrueLies

Great post! Merry Christmas to you and yours. Ever notice that the same ones who are against Christmas love to have the day off of work?

I would love to run across some of these PC types that are against any mention of religion. I'd follow them around, singing Christmas carols and doing all sorts of things just to antagonize them. Screw 'em. They only feel good when they take the joy out of somebody's day.

Did you hear that there is a PC book being put out titled "How the Grinch Stole the Holiday"? :shk:

Merry Christmas to All!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Oh on another note, whos is Boycotting Macys for having Christmas signs.
2 Jews, a Witch and Rev. Farakan?. I can see Schools, let the people who go to them celebrate anything they want. You name you can celebrate it. I can see the Gov. Saying Happy Holidays, but if you dont beleive in anything, then isnt that offense too?

What Holiday is happy if you dont believe in one , oh but they'll give us that.

Should go to a vote? Lets Vote on it. Really! Prop 12-25. You want to take america back for the people? Whos people? the ones that think like you? I would bet my life, this vote would pass for Christmas.
So what do you say call your congress man/woman/Wrestler/Sports Star, the people want to vote on this once and for all.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
So you want to force people to celebrate your religious holidays? .

You know this is a bunch of BS, curme. We don't want you to celebrate anything you don't want to celebrate.

You, on the other hand, want to stop people from celebrating Christmas.

Do what you want, or don't. Believe me, you won't be missed.
Don't force your depression on anyone else.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
This has got to be the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. This is just one more chip taken away from the family unit in America.

What is Christmas about now. It is religious for some with service or midnight mass, and for others it is a big party with gifts and Santa. However, some people seems to mix both. Wow, are they crazy or what? I want to party with those guys...

People, if the baby Jesus is not allowed in a manger in a school, that is one thing and I can accept that. But i would rather hear Away in the manger than Grandma got run over by a Riendeer sung by my 3rd grader at the Christmas pageant.

What happened to the fun and spirit of the holidays. I think all the ones whining came from broken homes and got coal in a stocking each year or have deeper issues. They need a healthy dose of therapy or drugs to help enjoy life before it is gone.

Christmas is the one time of year that you can care only about putting a smile on someones face. IT is commercial now, not religious. Santa isn't even that big as he was 30 years ago. It is all about a 31' TV and an X box for a 6 y/o kid. Kids learn at 3 now there is no Santa, and that takes away the majic for alot of kids.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio

Minor nit - I think that the issue is that Macy's has instructed their clerks NOT to say Merry Christmas, but to offer a generic Happy Holidays greeting instead.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by ShiftTrio

Minor nit - I think that the issue is that Macy's has instructed their clerks NOT to say Merry Christmas, but to offer a generic Happy Holidays greeting instead.

I wish it did say that. Read the above news, here the quote

" boycotting Macy's, which has removed "Merry Christmas" signs from its department stores; "

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join