It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Flaw' in Electronic Health Record Blamed for Medical Error Involving Ebola Patient

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Linky

A provision in President Obama's 2009 stimulus law required physicians and hospitals to adopt Electronic health records "for each person in the United States by 2014."

(CNSNews.com) - When a sick Liberian man walked into Texas Presbyterian Hospital last month, "Protocols were followed by both the physician and the nurses," the hospital said in a statement released Thursday night.

The man told a nurse he had come from West Africa, where an Ebola epidemic is raging.

"However, we have identified a flaw in the way the physician and nursing portions of our electronic health records (EHR) interacted in this specific case."

The hospital said its electronic health records include "separate physician and nursing workflows."

Speculation must be addressed, if Obamacare would not have been enacted, could this have been prevented?

Of course the converse must also be addressed; if Obamacare had not been enacted, could this have become worse?

I humbly offer this to you all to debate, discuss or cage-match blood bath.

I personally think that without all the onerous rules and regulations thrust upon hospitals, then the person would have been treated instead of everyone forced to fill out countless forms, electronic and otherwise.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I think if Obamacare wasn't enacted, this "glitch" wouldn't have happened.

The person would probably have been treated, most likely they would've been able to see the need to isolate him even if they weren't 100% sure it was anything very dangerous.

Less regulations and red tape makes an easier clean up too S + F.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Electronic Health Record. Sounds so much like a brown paper wrapper. Our docs hate it. System compatibility between healthcare facilities is laughable. The Army's records aren't even fully compatible with the VA's ... and those aren't designed to work with other major healthcare systems. Charlie Foxtrot!!

Good topic, beez. I'm curious to see what other people think too.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Or is the problem we live in a world where most desire to assign blame as opposed to fixing problems? Isn't the red tape/limitless forms to access who maybe dropping the ball? If we had a stronger job market then maybe fearful people wouldn't choose CYA tactics instead of truthfully admitting fault and correcting their work place messes.

It is the cultural problems that created Obamacare. Now it is swallowing up a society that refuses to be individually responsible.

JMHO

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: 2gd2btru

It is the cultural problems that created Obamacare. Now it is swallowing up a society that refuses to be individually responsible.

JMHO

I see the creation of Obamacare stemming from a desire to influence and control a large portion of the economy and the people.

I do agree that individual responsibility is key. But if individual responsibility is so important, then wouldn't that be the antithesis of Obamacare?

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Doctors spend hours sometimes after work having to enter electronic records, redundant forms, etc and it's due to Obamacare's regulations.

Some have been in the business for over 30 years and cannot comprehend how it was passed, and they cannot stand the hassles.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: 2gd2btru

IMO,

Obama.Care was created on a "Blame" platform.

More glitches exist now than before.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

But doesn't a large portion of our society desire the government to take care of them.

Individual responsibility is the antithesis of Obamacare/turning over one's care.

I practice 2gd2btru-care.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Obamacare is to blame for the current Ebola mess?

Cmon Beez, you can do better than that.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I personally think that without all the onerous rules and regulations thrust upon hospitals, then the person would have been treated instead of everyone forced to fill out countless forms, electronic and otherwise.

Agreed 100%

I do not like the idea of our medical information being transmitted electronically, just exactly who has access to it and what else will it be used for?

My endocrinologist and I were just talking about this the other day, she hates it and I hate what it's doing to our healthcare system. These new rules and regulations are ruining our healthcare system, just completely destroying it.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: 2gd2btru

But doesn't a large portion of our society desire the government to take care of them.

Sadly, yes. Far too many have willfully abdicated personal responsibility for government-mandated "care".

Individual responsibility is the antithesis of Obamacare/turning over one's care.

I practice 2gd2btru-care.

Everyone should be free enough to determine their own level of care, versus government dictating, mandating their coverage.

It's the blanket approach that, in my humble opinion, has led to perhaps, an outbreak in Ebola in America.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Obamacare's a one size fits all approach to healthcare.

I'd prefer a more individual approach with personal interaction. Like old time country doctors but with actual solutions.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
Obamacare is to blame for the current Ebola mess?

Cmon Beez, you can do better than that.

Then please, dispute it.

Just saying, "Nuh-uh." Is not a rebuttal.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yes, this administration spends a lot of time blaming. But I believe it is mirroring the society that elected it. It has become a very co-dependent relationship.

Likewise, those on the other side of the isle also are equally blaming.

I don't care who spilt the milk. I care that is cleaned up.

Ebola is in Dallas. The hospital did a poor job containing the situation. Wake up, own the problem, and fix it. Don't waste time with CYA.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

How about we address the national security aspect of such a threat and the policies involved in the CDC response?

Attacking the ACA/Obamacare is purely political.

I expect better from you.

edit on 10/4/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I suspect that they made mistakes and are now in CYA mode. Blaming the software is much better for the hospital than bad protocols or not following hospital protocols.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

How about we address the national security aspect of such a threat and the policies involved in the CDC response.

Attacking the ACA/Obamacare is purely political.

I expect better from you.

Sorry to disappoint, amigo.

I'm attacking the bureaucratic mindset that sees the implementation of such programs as a solution and never sees the potential for even bigger problems.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
I suspect that they made mistakes and are now in CYA mode. Blaming the software is much better for the hospital than bad protocols or not following hospital protocols.

It may be the case.

it may be that they simply screwed up.

It may also be the case that Obamacare prevented a worse scenario.

It may also be the case that the new rules and regulations enabled this "mistake" to happen.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Computer messup as the result of Obamacare's system. It's not that hard to see the connection.

But I do think it's just an instrumental part and not the entire orchestrator.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Pure politics, Beez.

Bad form....bad form.

I'm all for taking Obamacare to task, but this is complete bull#!

Obamacare has nothing to do with the unwillingness of the politicians to stop all travel to the US from Africa and put this outbreak to a quick end.

Again.....bad form.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join