It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless Rate in U.S. Falls Below 6% as Hiring Picks Up

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043
Hasn't it been steadily coming down though? This isn't new news. And we didn't expect things to turn around on a dime. It took us the better part of a decade to get into this deep a pit; it'll take time to crawl out.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme as you point out, over 90,000,000 working aged people not working or looking for work. That's about 1/3 of our 250,000,000 labor force, or 33% actual unemployment. The 6% official unemployment rate is the 10,000,000 or so people not working but still looking for a job. No recovery here folks, just a collapsing society dwelling in denial, fairy tales, and intentional obfuscation.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

And many are relying on relatives and friends to support them, overburdening them in this economy. Or relying on government checks. It's totally unsustainable and it seems like it's about to collapse completely.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
There is this in the article you listed. This shows to the wise man that the evidence is corrupted.

"And the signs of improvement were tempered by evidence that wage gains remained meager and that millions of Americans were still so discouraged by their job prospects that they had lost contact with the regular employment system." www.nytimes.com...

Most articles usually have a little kicker in them to protect the author. They are trying to tell us not to totally trust the info.
edit on 3-10-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Well. That's what happens when business keeps shifting more and more of their costs onto the taxpayers, workers, and customers, while taking more and more of the profit for themselves. Yay for big business, and all those who support it, job well done.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I imagine that in certain sectors jobs could be picking up, but taking also into consideration that people receiving welfare are at a historical high, we most weight the good and bad, see how can a person that work but still receive welfare can be counted as a positive when it comes successful employment.

is not actually.

Also we have states where welfare pays more than the available jobs.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: marg6043
Hasn't it been steadily coming down though? This isn't new news. And we didn't expect things to turn around on a dime. It took us the better part of a decade to get into this deep a pit; it'll take time to crawl out.

No, it hasn't been coming down. The labor participation rate which is a better reflection of our unemployment has been on a downward trend since the .com bubble burst in 2001 (which we never actually recovered from). Since 2008 the labor participation rate has dropped to record lows. It is currently at a 36 year low.

Unemployment numbers show things as getting better, but unemployment doesn't count people who haven't found a job in 6 months or who are under employed (Phd's being Walmart greeters for example). All a declining unemployment rate means is that people have given up any hope of trying to find work.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

It is all lies people that are no longer getting unemployment benefits are not counted in this fake number. The long term unemployment compensations stopped and millions of people are losing everything.

Look around and ask yourself are things getting better. Wages are not rising and the inflation is out of control. Anyone making under 15 dollars an hour is going to be screwed in the next couple of years. They will not be able to afford food and housing as inflation strangles the economy. Look at your grocery bill every week and keep track and you will see this simplest of truths.

Need further proof look at new car loans they have to give out 10 year loans just so the payment is not thousand a month. And they are pushing leases as the alternative. Back 10 years ago a hundred thousand dollar a year household income was a recipe for success..........Not so much anymore. If you make under fifty thousand a year you are barely making it nowadays.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan
I perfectly and very well understand all this.

That being said, there are jobs again. The economy seems to be on the upswing.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Things are looking better where I am. More jobs and my husband got a raise. New houses being built and sold, more construction, etc. I think a lot of people just don't want to admit that things are finally getting better... Political BS, no doubt.

Economists, Business Owners Discuss Signs of Improving Economy

Amazon, Costco, Macy's, Gap Shoppers Forecast Bright Outlooks For Holiday Spending

According to the Prosper Spending Score, the overall outlook* for holiday gift spending in 2014 is up more than 8% from last year. While celebrants planning to spend more on gifts are relatively stable year-over-year at 9.1%, those budgeting less for gifts dropped 11% from 2013 to 38.0%. The majority of consumers (52.9%) are planning to keep budgets in line with the previous year. Directionally speaking, our preliminary Spending Score has served as a relatively accurate bellwether for consumers’ holiday intentions

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
Things are getting better? They have been telling us that every single month since late 2008. And been the opposite of right every time. Gone, gone are middle class jobs. Replaced with service sector low wage, yay. 33% of our working age brethren not employed.....guess they are all just lazy. Pay continuing to decline, no raises in sight, inflation going up. And worst of all..... No changes made after the last bubble burst.....so the banks are still doing the same things which caused it, And building another housing bubble with mortgage backed securities which is set to go off again not long in the future. But feel free to dig hole in sand and insert head.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421
Things are getting better? They have been telling us that every single month since late 2008.

I didn't say that because someone told me that. I said it because I see it myself. And I'm in one of the poorest states in the country.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic Corpus Christi? I know you are.. I am too, in Louisiana. I live near new Orleans, which has a median per capita income of 14k a year, about half the national average. And if you were paying attention, you would have noticed that these places that are so poor never did experience the bubble that most of the country did, because their people never had the income to get the hyper inflation on housing (they couldn't afford it so housing never artificially raised) that the vast majority did. The end effect of this is that we (and you, apparently) did not suffer the effects of the economic collapse the majority did because our standard of living is already so low that it couldn't fall much further. But just because we didn't experience it as badly here does not bar me from seeing it in the places I have visited, or the places where I have friends and family that live and work. The standards that they use to tell us the situation is improving, such as stock increases and increased spending, have little to do with the impact on the vast majority of people. And often they are wrong, having to be revised a month after the statistics come out (IE: the report of 4% growth first quarter, which later had to be changed to 2% contraction). The article you linked showing increased holiday growth could also mean nothing more than that people are tired of responsible financing, and instead choosing to go into more debt.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Tax revenues are another indicator of the economy, generally the more people working the greater the tax revenue, which is what we have been seeing for the past few years.

Rebounding economy fills state coffers with record tax revenues

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I can also state, pretty honestly, that most people have a very flawed perception of how things are in other areas. Before I Moved away from my hometown (N.O.) originally, I was going to Atlanta. I had no idea what the situation was like there, but everyone here was saying "the pay is better but the cost of living is SO much higher", with the idea that no matter where you live, the cost of living, and the higher wages always equal out, giving people all over a pretty much equal standard of living. This is obviously flawed, as the vast majority of places I have lived, life is much easier than here in Louisiana, with Much higher standard wages, and sometimes an even LOWER cost of living than here, along with less taxes than we suffer from. Point being, the majority of people don't spend much time living anywhere outside of their "box", or area they grew up, and don't really have much clue that things are vastly different over every horizon.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
Its the US's $10 per hour recovery.

Yea $10 an hour everywhere if you are lucky enough to be anywhere beside in the South where its way under that $10. All the new jobs created here in Texas are all paying less than that.

Unless you are highly skilled (as I am luckily) you are making peanuts in the South even though you work much harder than those in the North while having none of the good benefits and perks they have in the North.

Just my observation down here. I would hate to be just starting out my career here in Texas.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic Corpus Christi? I know you are.. I am too, in Louisiana.

Just to be clear, I am not in Corpus Christi. That was just a link I posted to show other places are improving, too.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Yup, but in other news, at least gas prices are low.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer
Not a better indicator than department of labor records which show us that 1/3 of our labor force is unemployed

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

Exactly. 90 something million aren't in the labor force.

Somehow we're supposed to believe a few hundred thousand jobs is a rebound? Please.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join