It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Quietly Scraped CDC Quarantine Regulations In 2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I realized that this happened four years ago, but it definitely has bearing upon what is happening now with Ebola entering the U.S. with a Liberian national.

Obama administration scraps quarantine regulations

The Obama administration has quietly scrapped plans to enact sweeping new federal quarantine regulations that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention touted four years ago as critical to protecting Americans from dangerous diseases spread by travelers.

The regulations, proposed in 2005 during the Bush administration amid fears of avian flu, would have given the federal government additional powers to detain sick airline passengers and those exposed to certain diseases. They also would have expanded requirements for airlines to report ill passengers to the CDC and mandated that airlines collect and maintain contact information for fliers in case they later needed to be traced as part of an investigation into an outbreak.

Airline and civil liberties groups, which had opposed the rules, praised their withdrawal.

The American Civil Liberties Union had objected to potential passenger privacy rights violations and the proposal's "provisional quarantine" rule. That rule would have allowed the CDC to detain people involuntarily for three business days if the agency believed they had certain diseases: pandemic flu, infectious tuberculosis, plague, cholera, SARS, smallpox, yellow fever, diphtheria or viral hemorrhagic fevers such as Ebola.

usatoday30.usatoday.com...

So political pressure from the ACLU and rampant political correctness forced Obama to kill specific new CDC regulations which could have potentially prevented this current and potentially devastating Ebola importation into the U.S.

IMO, there can now be no disputing the fact that Barack Obama is now directly responsible for putting the U.S. population at greater risk from Ebola, due to covering his own political rear end by caving to rampant special interest groups and political correctness!

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Another reason why I HATE him and his cronies so much ...everything he stands for and everything he does turns my stomach
and there is always something!

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Well from what I've read in other threads,the CDC left the matter pretty much in the hands of Duncan's nephew anyway.In general,it's the whole progressive mindset and agenda that's screwing up America and the world-much as I dislike Obama-he alone cannot be blamed for this particular matter.a reply to: IAMTAT

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Thanks to Obama and the liberals/progressives etc.

We sent all of the drug used to successfully treat Ebola to Africa.

America has none left. Why?

Because due to wanting Amnesty so bad the administration has been in full denial mode about the "mystery virus" which is polio like (Opolio virus) which arrived with the children from south america and has only shown up where these children have been sent. And because people arriving from Africa have a super high rate of overstaying visa's - which is what the Ebola patient's family in Dallas is suspected of. All illegal or would be illegal aliens.

Being so politically correct, we sent all our treatment drugs to Africa.

Being so politically correct, we allowed Opolio and now Ebola into the US.

Being so politically correct, we now have no treatment for our own Ebola patients to stop the spread - the drug is grown on tobacco plants for goodness sake. It can't be rushed because it has to be grown, so what does Obama do, give it all away and leave the US population to die because of political correctness - what a good thing it is to be so liberal and progressive and let your own people die.

And now, it is politically incorrect to quarantine? That's why at first they sent the exposed children in Dallas back to school?
To expose all the other children? In the name of political correctness? No wonder parents pulled their kids out of school when they found out, I would have too.

Political correctness has gone further than running amok and ruining people's lives for comments made long ago in private, or from shutting down bakeries when there are plenty of other bakeries around.

Political correctness of the liberal and progressive mindset is now murdering the american public.

edit on 1Thu, 02 Oct 2014 13:41:20 -0500pm100210pmk024 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Well said

I agree.

Obama Inc has an agenda that may not be in the best interests of true Americans.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, this should be called the Obola Crisis!

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I thought this was a conspiracy site not a republican indiscriminate Obama bashing site.

I for one find this suspicious. A few years before a massive outbreak and they want legal rights to quarantine indiscriminately. Caution or informed preparations?

The part that worries me is that all the disease listed are for the most part not threats to America at all. We have effective vaccines for TB and yellow fever and diphtheria. Smallpox is eradicated except for samples held by the CDC. SARS and pandemic flu are a joke. But the last one on the list specifically mentions Ebola which previously had never escaped remote jungles because of its weak mode of transmission and high mortality rate.

Congo has dealt with Ebola for years without many issues because as diseases go traditional (natural) Ebola is highly unsuccessful in humans. Human based diseases generally have evolved for low mortality but high transmission as killing the host means less chance for reproduction.

A completely out of the blue mutation of Ebola which retains some of the high mortality rate (way higher than most diseases but nowhere near traditional Ebola, I think it's something like 40% or 50% mortality rate for the current Ebola while the traditional version is something like 90%) while becoming almost unbelievably transmissible. This whole thing absolutely reeks being credibility of being a bioweapon.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
How would these regulations have prevented Duncan's arrival? He was asymptomatic until after his arrival and he lied about being contact with an Ebola patient. There would have been zero reason to detain him. Furtheremore, it was more than three days after his arrival so he would have been out of quarantine anyway. Trying to blame this on Obama is laughable.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254
Really? You're defending Obama on this? The Obama administration killed these extra safeguards...for political gain.
Asymptomatic or not, Duncan would've been detained and tested much earlier than he was in Dallas. This could have been critical in containment.

Also, they would have been able to much earlier detain, track and test others who traveled with Duncan on any of the connecting flights in Brussels and D.C....potentially containing and limiting any additional spread of the virus.

would have given the federal government additional powers to detain sick airline passengers and those exposed to certain diseases. They also would have expanded requirements for airlines to report ill passengers to the CDC and mandated that airlines collect and maintain contact information for fliers in case they later needed to be traced as part of an investigation into an outbreak.

edit on 2-10-2014 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-10-2014 by IAMTAT because: Quote added

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
These regulations were "proposed", i.e., they were never passed. They were proposed during the Bush administration in 2005, and never passed during the Bush administration. Does Bush get any blame for that?

The article (written in 2010) in the OP says that the CDC was going to rewrite the regulations to better fit what they have learned since 2005 (when the regs were first proposed). I'd like to see how they were re-written before jumping on the bandwagon to bash Obama. They may not be totally scrapping them, just fine-tuning them.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

And yet more misinformation. The ZMapp drugs were given to health care workers of all nationalities (including Americans) who were on the front lines trying to care for the sick in Africa. We don't even know if this drug is successful - some of those given the drug died anyway.

Who said it was politically incorrect to quarantine?? I see the current laws from Health and Human Services have plenty of stuff regarding when quarantine is necessary. You think that scrapping and re-writing these particular proposed regulations meant that there is no more quarantine at all? Please. There was and is plenty of laws regarding quarantine right now.

www.cdc.gov...

The immediate family of this guy in Dallas is under quarantine. They are under penalty of law if they break quarantine. Oooh, guess what - they're black.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This is just about racking up the death toll. Read the 1st part of the Georgia Guidestones. They planned this a long time ago....Its pretty obvious. No one trying to prevent death/disease would have taken any of the actions thats have been taken to this point. Its simple addition of actions to reach a logical conclusion. Hope and pray...its all you can do....The jack ( ebola) is out of the box..They are purposefully spreading disease...a blind person can see that..." Rack up the death count. We need to get rid of the eaters...a reply to: grandmakdw

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Another reason the quarantine regulations Obama scraped, would have been useful today:

Were YOU on the same flight as America's first Ebola victim?: United Airlines releases flight numbers for the planes Thomas Duncan caught from Liberia to Dallas

United Airlines revealed flight numbers for two out of three planes Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan reportedly traveled on during his trip to the US

The airline said Wednesday it believed Duncan took Flight 951 from Brussels to Washington Dulles, then Flight 822 to Dallas/Fort Worth

U.S. officials had refused to release Duncan's flight details, but United Airlines chose to make his reported itinerary public
Duncan was likely on Brussels Airlines Flight 1247 before boarding the United planes, an affiliate station reported

An email from someone claiming to work for United Airlines also alleged Duncan was on the Brussels flight
Duncan planned to return to West Africa in approximately two weeks, the tipster's email also claimed

Health officials claim there is no risk to Duncan's fellow passengers

www.dailymail.co.uk... ght-Liberia-Dallas.html

They also would have expanded requirements for airlines to report ill passengers to the CDC and mandated that airlines collect and maintain contact information for fliers in case they later needed to be traced as part of an investigation into an outbreak.

edit on 2-10-2014 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join