It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why was Peter naked in John 21:7??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
John 21:7
Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.

What was Peter's business being naked in the cold of the morning probably in front of a young boy - John the Beloved Disciple.

John the Beloved was the last one of them to die and by far so he could have been just a boy at that time. (And when they paid taxes, only Jesus and Peter paid them so only two of them are adults and the rest of the disciples are probably too young too pay their taxes)

...And Jesus appearing at that moment. Did Jesus tried to interrupt something?? And why Jesus asked Peter 3x if he loved HIm (more than his work of fishing)?

Sounds fishy to me....

P.S. I feel like having made this post several times already like in a time loop or something. I think something is trying to stop me. Sorry for the geeky talk but this really feel like deja vu.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: johndeere2020
Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.

What was Peter's business being naked in the cold of the morning probably in front of a young boy - John the Beloved Disciple.

John the Beloved was the last one of them to die and by far so he could have been just a boy at that time. (And when they paid taxes, only Jesus and Peter paid them so only two of them are adults and the rest of the disciples are probably too young too pay their taxes)

...And Jesus appearing at that moment. Did Jesus tried to interrupt something?? And why Jesus asked Peter 3x if he loved HIm (more than his work of fishing)?

Sounds fishy to me....

P.S. I feel like having made this post several times already like in a time loop or something. I think something is trying to stop me. Sorry for the geeky talk but this really feel like deja vu.

You know the hardest part of the Bible is attempting to comprehend these things.

When you think you figured it out...You get a different interpretation from everybody.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
He was stripped for work. Why do you think he was naked?

There is more than one edition of the Bible, and I am not a Bible literalist.
edit on 1-10-2014 by csimon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020
"Naked" is likely to mean "naked except for some kind of loin-cloth".
They probably all worked like that, when at sea. These were tough guys, you know.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Are you insinuating homosexuality or something like that? Peter was married to a woman. He was out fishing and getting soaked. Why would he be shy in front of the other men while fishing? Back then and out in the waters none of the fishermen cared. Why wear soaking wet clothing all day if you didn't have to? It would be rather uncomfortable. IMHO

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

And why Jesus asked Peter 3x if he loved HIm (more than his work of fishing)?

Peter had just denied Christ three times during Jesus passion and death. Peter wasn't even at the foot of the cross. Jesus asked Peter if Peter loved Him three times so Peter could make up for the three denials. It's a reparation thing. That's basic Catholic theology on the matter.

Information Here

Finally, after the resurrection, Jesus appeared to his disciples and asked Peter three times, "Do you love me?" (John 21:15-17). In repentance for his threefold denial, Peter gave a threefold affirmation of love. Then Christ, the Good Shepherd (John 10:11, 14), gave Peter the authority he earlier had promised: "Feed my sheep" (John 21:17). This specifically included the other apostles, since Jesus asked Peter, "Do you love me more than these?" (John 21:15), the word "these" referring to the other apostles who were present (John 21:2). Thus was completed the prediction made just before Jesus and his followers went for the last time to the Mount of Olives.

Immediately before his denials were predicted, Peter was told, "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail; and when you have turned again [after the denials], strengthen your brethren" (Luke 22:31-32). It was Peter who Christ prayed would have faith that would not fail and that would be a guide for the others; and his prayer, being perfectly efficacious, was sure to be fulfilled.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

John 21:8
8 The other disciples followed in the boat, towing the net full of fish, for they were not far from shore, about a hundred yards.

( John 21:8 ), not meaning therefore to swim, but to get sooner to Jesus than in the full boat which they could hardly draw to shore.
8. the other disciples came in a little ship--by ship.

You make it sound like there were two alone. You would have to understand the customs to ask these questions, they fished all night. Also one needs to look at the full picture not a single sentence.

R. Brown’s suggestion seems much more probable here: the verb used, διαζώννυμι, does not necessarily mean putting clothing on, but rather tying the clothing around oneself (the same verb is used in 13:4-5 of Jesus tying the towel around himself). The statement that Peter was naked (ἦν γὰρ γυμνός) could just as well mean that he was naked underneath the outer garment (τὸν ἐπενδύτην), and thus could not take it off before jumping into the water. But he did pause to tuck it up and tie it with the girdle before jumping in, to allow himself more freedom of movement. Thus the clause that states Peter was naked is explanatory (note the use of γάρ), explaining why Peter girded up his outer garment (τὸν ἐπενδύτην) rather than taking it off: he had nothing on underneath.

christianity.stackexchange.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If true and considering that John was not a boy then it would not be the act that was being stopped but who was doing the act that would pose the danger.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Fish naked. Sounds like fun.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Fish naked. Sounds like fun.

Worm bait? I don't think so.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

It was very early in the morning and the evening before they caught no fish. My guess is Peter was still laying in bed, so he was wearing whatever he was accustomed to wearing for sleep and when he got up he put on some outerwear.

This is not complicated.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
You would not want someone covered in poisen ivy seeds to go rolling in your freshly tilled soil.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Not naked.

John 21 NIV

7 Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord!” As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, “It is the Lord,” he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water.

Güm-no's means clad in undergarments only. This was typical of a fisherman entering and exiting the water to do his job and avoid staining his garments. Washing machines were not a luxury at that time. The entire story is a metaphor for Peter (False Church) putting on a body (garment) and making himself a prince. Read further and Jesus asks him if he loves him three times. This is the sign of Jonah that Jesus told the leaders to expect. Three days to raise the temple is three thousand years. Each day, Jesus asks the church, "Do you love me?" He then says to feed the sheep. After this, Peter (False Church leaders) is told how Babylon will be destroyed and why:

John 21

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”

Putting on a garment is symbolic of baptism, or entering the waters of life as a person. When he was young, he dressed himself. When he is old, he is dressed. In other words, he has made himself a prince, using the money of the church for himself. Because of this, he is simply reminded to "Follow me!"

As we can see from the Roman Catholic leaders, the do not follow at all. They are corrupt. Unknowingly, they are baptized into the waters of life after 2 days (2000 years) and Jesus is now asking again, do you Agape me? Each time, Peter answers Phileo love. Brotherly love of the Masons. That love is based on private associations.

Naked is how Adam and Eve were seen after they realized their sins. Peter denied Christ three times, then Jesus said, get behind me Satan. What did Yahweh do to Adam and Even when they were naked?

Genesis 3

21 The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

Baptism is putting on the garment of the animal, which is what man is clothed with. The mark of the beast is Carbon, or 6 protons, 6 electrons and 6 neutrons.

As you read the Bible, realize there are layers of meaning. Fallen beings wear the robe of the animal nature. We are marked as beasts until we overcome the selfish nature.

2 Timothy 3

3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

Mark this. 18 markers. 6+6+6 (Animal Nature of Man, or the Beast).

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
If true and considering that John was not a boy then it would not be the act that was being stopped but who was doing the act that would pose the danger.

Why would John be called "Beloved"?

Why was he the favorite of Jesus? (And Mary Magdalene also)

Who is the greatest in God's Kingdom? (A little child and anyone who is innocent)

Why did Jesus gave John a mother in John 21?

Why did John died last?

John is a child. An effeminate, pleasant mannered, cuddly, good looking child or a young boy. That is what I have deduced based on my knowledge of God's Words.

The other disciples would have lusted after him. That is probably one reason, Jesus entrusted John to His mother Mary, not to Peter who is probably more qualified to take care of John. That is why Jesus kept John in His side which is to protect him from the others.

Jesus did not entrust John to Mary Magdalene probably because she is too irresponsible or too child like to be a mother.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Why would John be called "Beloved"?

Beloved Disciple John
Read the gospel of John and Revelations. John was the mystic of the group.
The mystics are 'closer' to God than others. His spiritual love was more pure.
That's why he was 'beloved'. It's spiritual .. not homosexual.

Why was he the favorite of Jesus? (And Mary Magdalene also)

Peter, John and James were Jesus favorites. That's clear from the gospel readings. Everyone has 'best friends'. And these three were to have the largest roles in Jesus Church. As for Mary Magdalene, there is nothing to suggest that she was a 'favorite'. Mary, Martha and their brother Lazarus were friends of Jesus.

Why did Jesus gave John a mother in John 21?

Mary was widowed. Her only child was about to be murdered. She was older and had no male relatives to take care of her. John was Jesus loyal friend and he was there helping Mary at the foot of the cross. He appointed John to take His place to take care of his old widowed mother. And this gave Mary a son to love. They could help take care of each other and be family when He was gone. It make sense, especially considering the time period and the customs of the region.

Why did John died last?

Because he was the youngest, he would naturally live the longest.
Because he survived assassination attempts.
Because God wanted him to live longer to do more work. It's God's plan.

John is a child. An effeminate, pleasant mannered, cuddly, good looking child or a young boy. That is what I have deduced based on my knowledge of God's Words. The other disciples would have lusted after him.

I think you are just wanting it to be something sordid, when it isn't. You've projected your own desire for it to be that way onto the situation. Nothing in the documentation supports your statement.

Jesus did not entrust John to Mary Magdalene probably because she is too irresponsible or too child like to be a mother.

No. Jesus entrusted John to His mother Mary because Mary was without a male family member to take care of her. She was alone and widowed and her only child was about to be murdered. John would take care of Mary as a son would. Mary would have a loyal son to love. It makes sense that Jesus would make sure His mother was taken care of by someone He could trust.

Mary Magdalene wasn't widowed or alone and she didn't have her only child murdered. She had no need of John to be given to her as a son.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Read the gospel of John and Revelations. John was the mystic of the group.
The mystics are 'closer' to God than others. His spiritual love was more pure.
That's why he was 'beloved'. It's spiritual .. not homosexual.
Peter, John and James were Jesus favorites.

Both John and Mary M truly understood the Gospel. Ironically, they are also the least active in the Early Christian movement.

Peter and James thought they should start a religion like Paul. The three are the most active apostles of Jesus but they made a giant mistake by indiscriminately preaching the Gospel to anyone.

The Gospel was not meant for everyone that is why Jesus often spoke in Parables. Gospel is the Good News and the good news is not for everyone. To some it is bad news for an appointed Judge is coming for them.

Everyone thinks that Paul is the greatest Christian missionary ever for preaching the Gospel **indiscriminately** even to the enemies of God... ...He's more like the greatest failure among the apostles. The most ignorant of them. It's sad to say, he's even more ignorant than many of you here.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
It could also be John that was naked:

Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him (John?), (for he (John?) was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.

If that is the case it would be worrisome that the youngest of them would be naked before older men.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
It's possible that nudity was commonplace at that time and that dressing was done out of respect. It's not unusual to see naked athletes and such in Ancient Greece and perhaps Rome. But, to insinuate anything carnal is disrespectful.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Peter and James thought they should start a religion like Paul.

Jesus told Peter to be the rock upon which Jesus church would be built.
Matthew 16:18 - 19.
So it's Jesus who thought Peter should run the church.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join