It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Allows Ohio Voter Fraud Prevention Law to Take Effect

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Am I allowed to speculate and present possible conspiracies?

maybe not.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Indeed what the eff does Obamacare have to do with the topic. The quoted material has exactly nothing to do with it. Er wait never mind dead people will prolly be enrolled on those healthcare 'exchanges' so they can get more government subisidies.

It's the underlying principle, Neo. Are you against the government forcing you to purchase goods and services, or not?

Except the LEFT NEEDS TO STOP LYING. People already had access to healthcare.

I don't care what the Left says. I'm saying that one of the main reasons people were against the ACA is that it forces you to buy goods/services or pay a consequence. Correct?

Aren't these voter ID laws doing exactly the same thing?

What's the big deal there he ?

It's about being consistent on principles. Are you against government intrusion or not....or only when it fits your political desires?

And I get carded every time I buy a gun. Gun ownership is a CLEAR RIGHT.

As you should, Neo. Let me know when my vote can put a hole in someones head.....then maybe your example would fit.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

How ?

Since by LAW

I have to have my id every time I get in my car,and go somewhere.

I have to produce it every time I buy a bottle of Jack Daniels.

I have to produce it every time I buy a pack of smokes.

I open up a bank account.

And to repeat to buy a gun.

But it is 'totally unacceptable' to ask for it when someone votes.

What a crock of snip.

There is some epic lack of consistency.
edit on 30-9-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I live in indiana.
When I get to the poling place i show my photo i.d. To the clerk. My name is checked off and I head to the voting machine.
Whats wrong with that?
No proof of who you are then no voting for you.
If you can't figure out how to get a photo i.d. Then your to stupid to vote. The dmv gives them out for free.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Since by LAW I have to have my id every time I get in my car,and go somewhere. I have to produce it every time I buy a bottle of Jack Daniels. I have to produce it every time I buy a pack of smokes. I open up a bank account. And to repeat to buy a gun.

None of those things are fundamental to the process' of our republic. Except guns. But of course, that's different because guns are a dangerous weapon. As a pro-2nd guy, I have no problem showing an ID to purchase a weapon.

But it is 'totally unacceptable' to ask for it when someone votes.

A vote has never killed anyone and voter fraud is not a real problem. Period.

What a crock of snip. There is some epic lack of consistency.

Indeed. I'm being consistent. I do not like government intervention unless there is a viable reason for them to do so. Such as in the case of guns.

Again, are you against the government forcing you to buy goods/services? Be consistent Neo.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Has any of the things listed been determined to be a poll tax and unconstitutional by the supreme court like having to purchase a ID card to vote?
edit on 30-9-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I live in indiana.
When I get to the poling place i show my photo i.d. To the clerk. My name is checked off and I head to the voting machine.
Whats wrong with that?
No proof of who you are then no voting for you.
If you can't figure out how to get a photo i.d. Then your to stupid to vote. The dmv gives them out for free.

Maybe they give them out for free in your area, but they don't in mine. It's $8 for a non-driver ID.

Overall, I think it makes sense to have an ID to vote, but the political motivations behind it and the ideological inconsistencies of those that push it really bother me. Also, I don't like the idea of more government restrictions on what should be a simple and free process.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

None of those things are fundamental to the process' of our republic

Why yes the RIGHT to keep and bare arms 'isn't' fundamental process of the 'republic'.

As if.

A vote has never killed anyone and voter fraud is not a real problem. Period.

Oh yes it has.

Just like that vote to arm the 'rebels' in Syria.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Why yes the RIGHT to keep and bare arms 'isn't' fundamental process of the 'republic'. As if.

Did you not read my post? I made an exemption for guns. Did I not?

There is a big difference between gun ownership and voting.

Oh yes it has. Just like that vote to arm the 'rebels' in Syria.

Irrelevant.

Are you or are you not against more government intervention in our lives?

Quit avoiding the question.

edit on 9/30/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Are you or are you not against more government intervention in our lives or not?

Why should I care ?

I have to accept government intrusion to buy a gun.

I have to accept government intrusion of SS,Medicare,Medicaid.

But apparently those BIG GOVERNMENT intrusions are fine.

They just blow a head gasket for asking ID to vote.

That is when some people want to make it an 'issue'

What a sad joke.

edit on 30-9-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Why should I care ?

I was just checking to see if your personal ideology has any room for consistency. Apparently it does not.

It's sad to see that people are willing to stand on principle only when it fits their political agenda.

Anyone that supports these voter ID laws and were against Obamacare are hypocrites and are lacking the balls to stand on principle, rather than politics.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I was just checking to see if your personal ideology has any room for consistency. Apparently it does not.

The inconsistency was pointed out already here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But hey make posters the topic eh.

When all else FAILS.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

And I've already refuted that.

Try again.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

Except that the states that require ID to vote do not require persons to pay for their state issued ID. In fact, the last time I was at the DMV for a new state ID, I was asked if I needed it for voter ID. I said "no", so I was charged the $15 fee.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
If you want to exercise your right to vote as a "living" American citizen, you should have to prove you are the person that is registered to vote. Why is that being unreasonable?

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Has any of the things listed been determined to be a poll tax and unconstitutional by the supreme court like having to purchase a ID card to vote?

The article explained it had to do with curtailing the early voting period from 35 days to 28 days so it did not overlap with the registration period.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
I never understood why they needed to pass a voter fraud prevention law. Statistically speaking, fraud is so rare that it's not even worth the time and money spent on the issue.

The answer to that comes from John Kerry. In his own way he managed to answer almost every political question in the whole of time. He said this after a reporter gave proof that Bush hadn't executed American citizens without trial (oh how this is ironic). "We shouldn't let the facts get in the way of the seriousness of the charge".

Fraud in the way it's being portrayed is very minor and doesn't change the outcomes of elections (and this is coming from someone who voted Ron Paul twice in 2008 just to see if I could get away with it, and get some concept of how viable it is).

The real voter fraud happens behind the scenes. Machines that alter the count. Change a Romney to an Obama in one state, change 2 Obama's to 2 Romneys in another state. Vote totals remain the same and the paperwork all matches up. The real election fraud if it's happening (and it was proven in 2004) is happening because of companies like Diebold which use insecure software, that they won't improve because they don't let anyone inspect it to find the weaknesses (security through obsurcity.. a very bad practice). With some minor variations to the software loaded on a voting machine you can corrupt the election in an area.

This does happen, and it's an absolute fact. People needing ID's to vote is so miniscule of a problem but it puts a face on the problem and makes people feel better. The truth is much less ideal.

Oh, for what it's worth I outlined a system which circumvents election fraud. It doesn't need ID's (but if you still want them go for it) and is secure. To make such a system (I have all the skills) it would take me roughly a couple months to make this system. It would take someone competent a couple weeks for reference. It's not all that big a job. Here's the thread. Simple changes that could settle the issue once and for all. But no one is interested in that.
edit on 30-9-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Try saying that in Chicago. My grandparents were very loyal republicans until the day they died. Ever since then for some reason they have voted democrat...

So you have proof of your dead grandparents voting for Democrats? If not, I think you should keep your "opinions" to yourself.

Like some i have very little reason to believe voter fraud is a wide spread thing but some proof would be great.

ETA: I'm not against voter ID at all as long as it's free, as they made it in Wisconsin. I'm all for only citizen's/legal residents voting but if it costs somebody even a dime for an ID to do so, It's considered a poll tax. Period.
edit on 10/1/14 by thov420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: thov420
Like some i have very little reason to believe voter fraud is a wide spread thing but some proof would be great.

ETA: I'm not against voter ID at all as long as it's free, as they made it in Wisconsin. I'm all for only citizen's/legal residents voting but if it costs somebody even a dime for an ID to do so, It's considered a poll tax. Period.

The ballot box stuffing happens but it's pretty minor, we're talking maybe one district per state (and then only in 1-2) per election. It's not enough to alter the election. The double voting also happens but it's not very effective. Because of the time it takes you would be lucky if someone could vote 3 times in a night. If you could get 1000 people and not be caught you would get 3000 votes which isn't even 1% of the voter turnout in a small state.

The real cheating happens in the software of the systems, and has been proven to be possible and it happening in 2004 is quite probable. It may have happened in later elections too but I can't say for certain. Here's some info on how it happens

What this video doesn't go into is how easy it is to get access to the machine. You just need people high up in the parties who send out the memory cards and software for the voting machines. It auto installs when plugged in. Everything can appear to be completely fair at the local level but if the memory card provided had the right software on it the votes will be rigged.
edit on 1-10-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Exactly. The real voter fraud happens with these new digital machines, not some people showing up to vote for other people over and over again. I can see it happening in large districts but where I live everyone pretty much knows everyone else so there's really no point in trying that here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join