It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Milky Way and Andromeda COLLIDE: Stunning simulation shows fate of our galaxy in 5 billion yrs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

New research from the University of Western Australia node of the International Center for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) suggests that large "monster" galaxies eventually stop producing stars for growth, but instead, dine on their smaller nearby galaxy neighbors.

The seven-year-long research project looked at over 20,000 galaxies before making this determination. Over 90 scientists participated. Their observations showed that smaller galaxies grew by creating stars from gas, an easy process for them. However, once galaxies become larger, it's harder to produce stars this way, so the only way they can grow is by merging and absorbing other galaxies.

In a simulation, scientists show how the collision between the Milky Way and Andromeda will happen, including the merging of the two into one massive galaxy.
www.techtimes.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Astronomers claim that there should be no star collisions during the process due to the massive distance between stars. And that our own star should survive the galactic collision.

I wouldn't bet money on it. With both galaxies spinning, there's bound to be some star collisions. It will actually be a miracle if no stars collided during the process.

Thinking about any and all populated planets, life will likely be extinguished as planets, including earth, will be flung into space due to gravity forces. Earth will probably be long past habitable in 5-billion years, though.

edit on 29-9-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: fixed title

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Imagine a grain of sand on the beach. Now imagine another grain of sand over 30 miles down the coast line. Now imagine those two grains of sand as two average stars. That's about scale for how far apart stars are from each other.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

It's even farther than that. They're saying 680 miles.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
yeah not going to affect anything on earth since they say it,ll be end of our suns life anyway,tho i still would love to know how they work this out.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
It would be extremely difficult to model precisely what would occur with the stars themselves, and I am quite certain that there will be star collisions. Our's might not survive, but I'm not too worried about it seeing as how I won't be here when that goes down. I highly doubt human life will still exist at that point. The gravitational forces make it seem like two galaxies are just on a stroll, then they pass each other, realize they hate each other, and then face off at a distance, finally pouncing.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Star and Flag OP! Even though this may not be an exact projection of what will happen, this still provides a good idea of our impending merge.

Some say that we arent part of the milky way at all, and instead are in the Andromeda galaxy already, and always have been...

OG

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

It would be extremely difficult to model precisely what would occur with the stars themselves, and I am quite certain that there will be star collisions. Our star might not survive, but I'm not too worried about it seeing as how I won't be here when that goes down.

Our Sun will be dying in 5 billion years time, so no life will be here unless it has found a way to leave the planet and go elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Awe man, I'll only be 5 billion and 47 years old. Bummer.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I can't wait to see this event happen.

Oh wait.......five billion years
Guess I just have to be satisfied seeing the video.

new topics

top topics

join