It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Socially Positive (For a Change)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Enough of this negativity! hopefully this will lift your spirits if you feel the world is going to hell in a handcart...

I have read a report recently which stated that, in the UK, the majority of people in their twenties:

- Oppose racism, and have friends from different ethnic backgrounds

- Are respectful of other peoples religious beliefs

- Are open minded and tolerant over attitudes towards homosexuality

- Are sensible in their attitudes towards drugs, tending to view drugs such as coc aine, crack and heroin, as highly dangerous, wheras cannabis is not

These people represent the future ruling generation in the UK. this is something to take comfort from i feel, as it hopefully means we can look forward to a more tolerant and peaceful society in the future

I am not saying the UK will be a Utopia, as, unfortunately, there will probably always be people like the BNP around. Not to mention criminals, crooked politicians etc.

But this is just my personal opinion

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
A good reminder to lift one's eyes from the daily news and appreciate what most of us have in life, and to count our blessings. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It's so nice to get a break from the hustle & bustle of all the world's troubles...to look up to see something good . Thank you for your post.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
It's a timely reminder Daystar

If I could find the refernce I'd post the (fairly well known?) paragraph about young people today, about how ill-educated they are today, how loud, rude, ignorant and disrespectful to their elders they are and how our society and the world is just generally off to hell in a hand cart.....

.....written by some ancient Greek or Roman guy about 3000yrs ago.

It's an eternal theme we should watch out for and not take too seriously IMO.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daystar
- Oppose racism, and have friends from different ethnic backgrounds

I strongly oppose racism, although where i live the white population is proberly over 99%.

- Are respectful of other peoples religious beliefs

I happy for people to have whatever beliefs they want, as long as they don't hurt other people.

- Are open minded and tolerant over attitudes towards homosexuality

I'll admit i used to be wary of homosexuals, but reading posts on ATS made me see how stupid i was.

- Are sensible in their attitudes towards drugs, tending to view drugs such as coc aine, crack and heroin, as highly dangerous, wheras cannabis is not

I'm very anti-drugs, i don't care whether people say cannabis is safe, its not...but i won't start ranting

yah for the future....

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Thats nice to know, but im afraid alot of people where I live are racist, anti-anything they don't agreewith and anti-homosexual (Despite half of them probably being closet homosexuals). It is also annoying to note the formation of an Arian Supremacy group here. Im sorry, but I can't see anyone who could possibly support this as a normal person. How could you want a supreme arian master race? It's sad to think people still beleive in Hitler roday.

I must admit im open to new cultures and beleifs, except when they are something like the above mentioned. I do not like strong drugs, I have a freind who uses/used them and they have really messed her up. I only ever smoke pot on a very rare basis, and never with tobacco.

And why do people have care about sexuality or religion? I have had plenty of good discussions iwth people of various sexualities and religions, without the usual prejudices popping up. Paranioa of different people is stupid.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teh_Gerbil
Thats nice to know, but im afraid alot of people where I live are racist, anti-anything they don't agreewith and anti-homosexual (Despite half of them probably being closet homosexuals).

this is unfortunate, but i must ask you; what age group are you generally referring to? because i think maybe i have noticed what you mean. there is still quite a lot of racism and homophobia in the older generations. a pity, but no-ones perfect, i guess

people in their twenties and even in their thirties have the advantage of growing up with the influence of cultures brought to this country by immigrants in the 60's/70's. i feel that this is probably why racism is frowned upon by the above age groups in general: they are in a better position to understand each other, and therefore be respectful to each other

It is also annoying to note the formation of an Arian Supremacy group here. Im sorry, but I can't see anyone who could possibly support this as a normal person. How could you want a supreme arian master race? It's sad to think people still beleive in Hitler roday.

could you dig up their details and pass them to me? I might just drop them in it with the Anti-Nazi League

And why do people have care about sexuality or religion? I have had plenty of good discussions iwth people of various sexualities and religions, without the usual prejudices popping up. Paranioa of different people is stupid.

well said!

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
www.n9s.org...

There. Anything you can do to sort them out.

One less thing to worry about if they aren't running for election.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I am not saying the UK will be a Utopia, as, unfortunately, there will probably always be people like the BNP around. Not to mention criminals, crooked politicians etc.

But this is just my personal opinion

Funny you should say this, as today Nick Griffin, leader of the BNP has been arrested for 'suspicion of incitement to commit racial hatred'. A good move I would say!
full story

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paul
Funny you should say this, as today Nick Griffin, leader of the BNP has been arrested for 'suspicion of incitement to commit racial hatred'. A good move I would say!
full story

- Much as I consider myself a supporter of free speech (which by definition must mean the speech I don't like - as clearly I have no problem with the stuff I like) I can't help thinking this couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, right!?

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
Much as I consider myself a supporter of free speech (which by definition must mean the speech I don't like - as clearly I have no problem with the stuff I like) I can't help thinking this couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, right!?

I'm guessing you watched that BBC hiden camera program then,
I did and was disgusted to know that people like Nick Griffin still believe in such ideals.

If found guilty i hope they send him away for a very long time

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
I'm guessing you watched that BBC hiden camera program then,
I did and was disgusted to know that people like Nick Griffin still believe in such ideals.

If found guilty i hope they send him away for a very long time

- Yes, I saw that one.....and the one following Mark Collett (BNP youth organisation attempting to present a 'new image') on channel 4 a little while before it.....and the one before, well, you get the idea.

Unfortunately people of that kind of mindset can't help themselves, give them a bit of time and they'll stop acting reason - although with the usual cagey equivication and denial of the slaughter of the Jews by the German nazis and start s'n-word'ing about it and demonstrating exactly where they're coming from.

I'm not really too keen on 'hate crime' law as such but if they have him advocating or inspiring others to actual crimes - with those crimes then being committed - then yes, lock the scumbag away and do us all a favour.

new topics

top topics

join