It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Why call me Lord, Lord, but don't do as I say?" (Luke 6:46) - Your Actions are important.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
There is a teaching going around that all you have to do is say "Jesus is Lord" and then you are saved, that we are not saved by worked but by grace, but this goes against the teachings of Christ.

Luke 6:35
But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

When you love your enemies, THEN you have the reward of being called "Children of God".

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

You only get the reward when you actually take ACTION. You only REAP grapes, when you SOW grape seeds. If you do not plant the grape seeds, then you will not get grapes. You cannot plant thorns and get grapes.

Jesus said "Beware of false prophets" (Matthew 7:15), then he tells you how to recognize them:

Matthew 7:16
Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

If you are not planting seeds of Love and Peace, then you will not reap the fruits of Love and Peace. You reap what you sow. If you are sowing violence and wars, then you are not reaping the fruits of being called "The Children of God".

To believe that your actions don't matter, is to preach about another Jesus.

Matthew 12:49-50
And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

John 13:35
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

If you do the will of the father, if you love one another, only then are you following the will of God and being a true disciple of Christ. The peacemakers are the ones who will be called "Children of God" (Matthew 5:9), and we will know false prophets by their fruits. (Matthew 7:15-16)
edit on 29-9-2014 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Dear arpgme,

This is a difficult question for me. I seem to have the most difficulty when I try to determine which characteristic is the essential one. Then I remember that there isn't one that I need, but several.

Rather than make a case for each of them, I think we would have a very unusual spiritual life without Love, Faith, Works, and Truth. For me, the one that comes most pleasantly and easily at the moment is the one I can afford to lighten up on and put a litle more emphasis on the others.

But that's just my experience, you're mileage may vary.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

There is no spiritual life without Love:

John:

1 John 4:7-8
Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Jesus:

John 15:17
These things I command you, that ye love one another.

John 13:35
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Matthew 7:12
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Paul:

1 Corinthians 13:2
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

Romans 13:9-10
For this, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Dear arpgme,

I agree with you, and I did in my earlier post as well. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, Love is essential, but I think other things are also. Thank you for the verses.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Oh, I see what you're saying now. I try to keep things simple, I believe the path to Heaven is Narrow, and that Love is it.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Dear arpgme,

Thanks for your patience, you're not the first person to scold me on my writing. It's a flaw I'll have to try to fix.

I'll agree with you that Love is it, but I might be having a problem with definitions or applications here. I know it's dull compared to what you wrote, but I think Love can go wrong, if we're not careful.

Sometimes a mother can dedicate her life to a child out of love, doting on him, protecting him, expecting a return from him in some form. A love that started out being perfectly good and holy became cancerous and made the mother and son both bitter and angry. I know that's not the kind of love you mean, though.

Sometimes a person can become completely in Love with God, without hearing what God is calling him to do. If we have taken on responsibilities with a family we are not allowed to spend all of our time meditating on God by ourselves.

But with all of that said, Love and Faith would certainly be what I would recommend as the basics. I think we're united on this and I'm very glad to read your work.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   

I don't think I've ever seen you define love, yet you've made a lot of posts about it. And maybe I'm an idiot for not understanding, but could you define the love that Jesus and them were talking about, please?

What are the conditions and/or principles of love?

Edit: And please do explain love so that Matthew 10:34 and 1 John 2:15 are congruent with your understanding. Thanks.
edit on 9/29/2014 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Bleeeeep

Dalai Lama said it best..

Love is the absence of judgment.

Which goes with everything Christ taught.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TheProphetMark

That's a good way to explain it....

I tend to call it "selflessness"... but I like yours too

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TheProphetMark

Is love then only situational? Only occuring when someone could be judged, but is not?

Can you define it by what it is, and not by what it's not?

I'd like an easy answer if you got one -- preferably something that's not metaphorical -- something that can be applied to any situation.

Thanks.

And I do not mean to sound sarcastic or rude. I am genuinely asking: Can anyone explain the kind of love Jesus and them were talking about? I'm being serious. Anyone?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Selfless affection for God?

But then love alone is probably not enough, so maybe it is:

The selfless affection for God that causes selfless acts of devotion (acts which God has deemed suitable) towards all others?

That's actually not bad, granted we would still need to know what is suitable. That sound right?

Anyone got anything better?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

rethink that considering we are all part of God...

Jesus said... Love God, and love your neighbour as yourself...

Which are the two greatest commandments, that all the law and prophets hang on

edit on 29-9-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I want you to think for me and you're trying to give me some riddle. lol

Anyways, here is what came to mind:

We're made to be the Bride, to produce godly seeds, and good fruit for one another (good fruit/works to nuture the seeds) -- which is also the same as saying that we should have babies and do works [with love in our hearts] in order to bring one another to the understanding of God -- we are to reproduce God's awareness -- but that still leaves me guessing as to what the conditions for love are, when faced with certain verses, and circumstances.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

To Jesus, love is giving to others, even if it is a self-sacrifice:

John 15:13
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

It's not about getting love, but giving it:

Matthew 5:46
For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

I really like The Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;
O Divine Master, grant that I may
not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   

There are many layers when dealing with the gospels...

You could read them hundreds of times and still come up with new understanding of certain verses...

As far as the one you mentioned... the sword is used to cut, even separate one from the other...

Its not meant as a literal weapon if that was what you're thinking...

Read the rest of what was said in that chapter...

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

40 He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

41 He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.

42 And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.

edit on 29-9-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   

No, I know. The sword is truth, and the wicked can't handle the truth. The truth causes division, and that is the part I was pointing to -- that love should not be unconditional or care for the person/ego, but be, at times, for the love of reproof - so to bring them the truth of God, for righteous growth.

In such an instance, you have to ask: what is love? What is suitable love for reproof? When do we show the love that we know will cause division? When do we show love, and when do we dust off our feet and leave them to their own demise?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

I believe for the most part "they" will make that decision for you...

I would say its Best to know who your Neighbour really is

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Ah thanks.... and one more question with the same tone:

Revelation 3:16
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

So let's suppose a coin has three sides: heads, tails, and the edge. And the sides are hot and cold, and the edge is lukewarm. So then, lets say one side is righteous, one side is wicked, and the edge is "lukewarm".

Now, if you love everyone, even the wicked, does that make you lukewarm or does that make you right for loving even the wicked people? What if Jesus and Satan were having a fight, and you chose not to hit anyone? Does that make you wrong, right, or lukewarm?

You see my point? It is the unconditional love thing.

You cannot be on the edge of the coin because any side that is not the right side is the wrong side.

What is the extent of love? And would the full extent make you right, wrong, or lukewarm?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   

What is the extent of love?

There is no greater love then to lay down ones life for a friend

And would the full extent make you right, wrong, or lukewarm?

I suppose you should leave that up to God

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

And that solves the delimma because you're not supposed to be friends with wicked people?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join