It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meh..I had to put my 18 year old cat down last night

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I had this cat named Eerie (named after the Samhain-Danzig bass player Eerie Von) for the past 18 years. His personality certainly matched the name as he moved around the house like a gray ghost though later in life it was close to being afraid of everything.. =)

Got him when I moved into my first apartment and he was with me in every subsequent apt or house.
For the past 14 years he would sleep on my pillow every night next to my head.
Roughly a year ago he was diagnosed with early stages of kidney failure .
He had a good year but went down hill pretty fast over the past 2 days.

I could have put him to sleep at the vet or some other place but a veterinary professional friend was able to come over late last night and take care of everything. It was peaceful and quiet as he passed away on the bed next to the pillow he loved..

Last night was odd to go to sleep..So different, I wasn't quite sure how get comfortable.

Anyway the point of this post is if you have a cat or a dog make sure you give them plenty of affection because you never know when it will be over and they offer the most exquisite , freely given attention there is.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Im sorry this happened Opeth. I know for alot of us, pets are our best friends and family. If you need to vent or talk or anything im here for ya man. Time heals, but cherish the good memories yall have.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your loss, always a bummer when we lose one of our four legged pals.
Here's to better days and Eerie being in a better place then the last two days

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I don't really know what to say except sounds like he was a lucky cat with a good person around (you). Sounds like you did right by him, you will both be in my thoughts tonight.

:3

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
im so sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to you. take comfort in knowing what a great life you gave your pet. your situation is very similar to mine. i had to put down my cat of 15 years ( this was back in 2010) but i had the cat since my very first apartment and he was always there for me. he would sleep next to my head and purr me to sleep. sometimes i would wake up and i would be using him as a pillow! he ended up with kidney disease and was towards the end. i have a very trusting vet who told me it was time and i could also tell my the look in my cats eyes he was ready. i did it in the vets office, but as i always promised i stayed there with my best friend right until his last breath. the vet gave him the needle and i stayed in the room until it was over. i know how hard it is. i knew i would eventually get another cat which i have, but it took me a good 7 months before i was even ready.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Being an animal lover myself, it never ceases to amaze me how many people look at you like you are nuts when you lose a furry member of your family. As if somehow, the being that you have shared so much of your life and time with over the years is not worthy of love, or that you are somehow inadequate because it is painful to you.

And it is painful. Very. If most of us are honest, we share more of ourselves with our furry children than we do with most of our human companions. There's less judgement there and you don't feel like there is a need to hide your feelings or pretend you are ok with them like you do with actual people.

You both are in my thoughts tonight. He was lucky to have and be loved by you and you were lucky to have experienced the same through him. Cherish that and allow yourself to grieve. Don't let anyone make you feel like it's stupid or overreacting.

It's damn sad and I am sorry that you are having to go through it at all.
edit on 9/28/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

To our furry companions.

Great name for a cat, I toast in his honor.

edit on 28-9-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I think it's wonderful the a vet was able to end your cat's suffering at home. What a peaceful gift to give your friend.

My condolences to you, cats are the very best of companions.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your loss but a least you have years of memories to look back on.

Poem For Cats

And God asked the feline spirit
Are you ready to come home?
Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
And, as a cat, you know I am most able
To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked God.
Soon, replied the whiskered angel
But I must come slowly
For my human friends are troubled
For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? asked God
That you'll never leave them?
That your souls are intertwined. For all eternity?
That nothing is created or destroyed?
It just is....forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever.

Author Unknown

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I am sorry for your loss.
Having to put down an animal is one of the more difficult things I've had to do. They stop being just a "pet" and become family. Least for me anyway.

Having it done at home and in Eerie's fav. spot was a beautiful final gift.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I have 2 cays one of whom is extremely attached to me, sleeps with me, lays on the couch with me, follows me around .. and I dread the day she doesn't wake up. I will be a complete mess, just the idea makes me tear up.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I'm so very sorry for your loss. It's so hard to make the decision to put your baby to sleep. Pets are part of the family and there is something extra special about cats.

Last year I had to put my Sasha down, she had kidney failure and after a year of daily fluids, it wasn't improving
We had her cremated by herself, cost a little more but it was worth it. She has a place of honor on our mantle, a little shrine I guess. Miss her terribly...

Giving my girls big hugs now and sending all the positive energy your way!

RIP Eerie!
edit on 28-9-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

That was beautiful! Cats are so so special and wonderful, the world certainly wouldn't be whole without them.

*tears

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I to have a " gray ghost " who like yours is really getting up there
in years at forteen and he to is getting more skiddish by the day.
As a survivor of a run in with some anti-freeze his sight is worsening
after the initial damage from the coolant. He's been mine since he
managed to survive that. And I'm not a cat lover by any means.
But this old man became more than just a cat to me after see'n
him pull thru something like that. He's been like a spirit guide or
something. I'm not kidding, the cat that went into the three day
coma. Was a completely different cat from the one that came out
of the coma. But I feel for ya man, it's a hard thing to cope with
when death comes to a loved one. My advise is to morn him.
Even if it's done privately and no other soul is ever told. Lament
bitterly at your loss and the whole universe will know, the gray
ghost was loved by you. I dread see'n Sox get old.

Sorry for your loss.

edit on Rpm92814v112014u01 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Sorry to hear of your loss....I have lost many pets the ought the years and it sucks. I feel your heartache and the emptiness that follows...sounds like you were a good parent and your kitty was well loved.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Very sorry for your loss. Sounds like your cat had a very loved life.

Your kitty will always be with you in your memories. Losing a pet is like losing a family member.

RIP Eerie

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Been there many times my friend and it is heart wrenching. At least your sweet cat had a long and happy life. I believe that one day we will be re-united with our precious pets. HUGS!!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Opeth so sorry for your loss and our hearts go out to you.

Over the years we have had several cats who have passed on and each time the heart strings twang. Our Clarissa is getting on but we all love her to bits. So glad Eerie had such a lovely caring owner and peaceful passing. Shiloh

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Everyone,

You words mean a lot and they are making me smile.

The fact that there are people who have posted on this thread that I have had disagreements with on other threads really tells me something about the impact pets have on our lives.

Thank you for being there.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Everyone,

You words mean a lot and they are making me smile.

The fact that there are people who have posted on this thread that I have had disagreements with on other threads really tells me something about the impact pets have on our lives.

Thank you for being there.

That's the truth amigo!

Prayers and good thoughts sent your way. I too know how it feels...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join