It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Build your own Invisibility Cloak!*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
You're a Wizard Harry!

The Rochester Cloak

Inspired perhaps by Harry Potter’s invisibility cloak, scientists have recently developed several ways—some simple and some involving new technologies—to hide objects from view. The latest effort, developed at the University of Rochester, not only overcomes some of the limitations of previous devices, but it uses inexpensive, readily available materials in a novel configuration.

“There’ve been many high tech approaches to cloaking and the basic idea behind these is to take light and have it pass around something as if it isn’t there, often using high-tech or exotic materials,” said John Howell, a professor of physics at the University of Rochester. Forgoing the specialized components, Howell and graduate student Joseph Choi developed a combination of four standard lenses that keeps the object hidden as the viewer moves up to several degrees away from the optimal viewing position.

This is pretty cool. I think I am going to try this.

Wasn't sure where to post this. Sorry if its in the wrong place.

*when the word cloak was used I in fact meant as in a pretend cloak that really only covers your hand and then really only partially because you seem to have to allow light through the fingers for this to work in fact this isnt really a cloak at all is it.
edit on 28-9-2014 by ArmyOfNobunaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ArmyOfNobunaga

I may give this a go, seems simple enough. Thanks!

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I had a friend who worked on the rail road. He got off work one night and showed up at a party wearing a bright orange uniform with reflective strips across the chest.
I'll skip some details, but story short, the police showed up and started arresting people.
He just stood still. Two officers put a light on him and then walked away.
It's just a hypothesis, but it would seem that being hyper visible can make one invisible in some way.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Heres a similar trick everyone can play with…

A hole in your hand
edit on 28-9-2014 by intrptr because: updated link

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Heres a similar trick everyone can play with…

A hole in your hand

You just made me snort ozarka through my nose!

I remember that trick when I was a kid. Star for bringing me good memories!

join