It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Disturbing' footage shows US officer asking to see man's driving licence and then shooting him a

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Not sticking up for the cop, at all, but damn, you don't make any sudden moves while being black, everybody knows that.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Whew! The defenders, apologists, excuses and down right suck ups came out quick on this one.

[ Me in a bored/sarcastic voice ] "Gee, look, another cop shooting someone for no reason. What a surprise" Obviously too terrified to remember his training, he fires 4 times and only hits his victim in the hip. Thankfully he's too scared to shoot straight.

Also, I have to wonder if this guy was not well liked or his department knew he was a liability? They're awful quick to throw him under the bus. Usually cops will go to any lengths to protect their "brothers" and excuse this. They would have used him reaching in to the van as a valid excuse to empty the magazine.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

You're right, all logic and reason is gone when all you're doing is making a quick stop at the gas station and you get shot by a police officer. And then people defend the cop! Did you even watch the video? *insert lots of face palm pictures here* The cop continued to fire his weapon after the man's hands were in the air and he was not next to his door any longer. What was the cop "figuring" then?

I'm not a cop hater at all. Obviously not all cops are bad. This one was. Really, really bad.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Okay, I'll go with your rule , but you should have to accept mine. This is for police officers........never ever shoot someone ,for any reason, with their hands up backing away from you !

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Damn...boot lickers of various kinds jumping on this one. Pathetic.
I won't say the guy wasn't an idiot for going back into his vehicle without saying "I need to reach back into my vehicle for the ID" or something to that effect. I mean, he does live in the US and those of us who live here generally know the "do's and don'ts" when interacting with police..even if we hate the "do's and don'ts" but to shoot four rounds at the guy...instantly. Trigger happy and paranoid much?

And ftr....I don't think this was an actual "stop". No lights, no siren. I think he just rolled up on the guy and the guy was a bit startled, wondering what the hell he even did to warrant police presence.

....Just another day in 'murica.
LEARN from this people! LEARN.

You don't have to like it....I DETEST it! But if a few "kind words" (while muttering obscenities under my breath) is all it takes to keep me alive ("yes sir"..."ok sir"...."my lord, I need to enter my vehicle to get my ID...may I master") then I am doing it. Picking battles is a key decision.

This guy....he just wasn't thinking and it was at the wrong place, wrong time, wrong DIRTY (and ubber paranoid) cop.

....only two pluses here. 1. The guy didn't die. 2. The cop is [hopefully] going down for a VERY long time.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
FFS

"Can I see your license, please."

Moves to comply with the officer's instruction.

Bam, bam, bam, bam.

What's a guy to do?

ETA: And the cop's trying to cover himself by calling in (at 1:40 into the video), "Shot's fired on a 10-38." That's a suspicious vehicle ... not a seatbelt violation.
edit on 2692014 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Even the cop realized how paranoid he was. After the guy asked "why did you shoot me" and the pig claims "seat belt violation" o' so nonchalantly, he clearly realizes he just mucked up. You can here his voice cracking as he is telling the guy to sit still and "I have help coming to you".

Hyper-paranoia...It's a result of the training, in many ways. It's a result of cultural conditioning. Movies, news..etc.
A pathetic situation we find ourselves in, through and through.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

Even the cop realized how paranoid he was.

Nail on the head. Cops these days are too afraid of 'the job' to do it properly. Reminds me of the old adage: When you're in a hole ... the shovel is the wrong tool to get yourself out. There's an inherent risk in law enforcement. If you cannot accept that risk ... get out of the business. You're not entitled to that paycheck.

If this guy's salary is being paid via the Mayor's office ... that's where the blame needs to be focused. When an elected official is held accountable for the actions of his/her employees ... that's when you'll see a change.

The other major issue is all the hate and anger these guys have towards the general public. Add in a li'l roid rage and you've got an accident looking for a place to happen.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
How many threads are we gonna have about this geez. Can we close some of the threads down this is stupid.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Lichter daraus

Not everyone that visits this site visits the various forums.
This is an important issue. It should be seen as much as possible. Plus, ATS T&C allows for two threads on the same issue, others will be closed by the mods shortly. Not everyone is good with the search engine and some don't even know how to use it.

Do you have anything productive to add? Any opinion besides "this is stupid"?
What is "stupid"? This incident? This cop? Or the fact that he is (well, was) a hyper-paranoid pig with an itchy trigger finger...in other words, a shooting waiting to happen?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Got that everyone? Instead say, my wallets in the car and point.

How about, you're going to jail for 20 years, #hole. And let that be a lesson to your buddies.

And while you're there? I'll buy candy bars and smokes for your 'roommate', if he makes your acquaintance every night.

Enough of that, you'll see a change in behavior.

eta:

I'll even sponsor a web page for the guy.

"Tonight, I thought about how I behaved, after "bubba" got me. I suddenly realized I wasn't a minor God because of that badge...I'll never see my kids again. And Bubba is...starting to look really nice. I can't walk without limping though. Please send vaseline"

eta: There's an idea. If the guy gets convicted, I am going to start a web fundraiser for the guy's 'roommate' $20,000 buys a lot of lovin'
edit on 26-9-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

How about, you're going to jail for 20 years, asshole. And let that be a lesson to your buddies.

Let's not count our chicken before they get hatched out and survive a day or two. You know how young chickens sometimes die a quick death....

Hopefully he will get the full 20. Maybe I am just jaded and cynical but for some reason I don't believe he will.
I see enough apologists here to realize a jury could be full of them and they could use the video as justification for those opinions and a "not guilty" verdict. You know, the same argument being used here..."He shouldn't have reached back in his vehicle, he brought it on himself"...

Pathetic, but I see it.
Fingers crossed that this guy gets the MAX!

ETA:

"Tonight, I thought about how I behaved, after "bubba" got me. I suddenly realized I wasn't a minor God because of that badge...I'll never see my kids again. And Bubba is...starting to look really nice. I can't walk without limping though. Please send vaseline"

Torturing the guy really isn't my cup o' joe, to be honest.
I cast less blame on him and more on the training and the instilling of those hyper-paranoid responses via conditioning. In essence, he was brainwashed by those that trained him. Brainwashed to think that anyone and everyone was out to get him, was "the enemy, was seeking to kill him....that NONE can be trusted (granted, many can't) and all might harm you.

The issue is the conditioning, as much as it is this paranoid individual piggie.
The solutions are a bit more complicated....Cause and effect is a bitch! That's how we got here as much as is "the agenda".

edit on 26-9-2014 by Jakal26 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jakal26

Torturing the guy really isn't my cup o' joe, to be honest.

Cause and effect is a bitch! That's how we got here as much as is "the agenda".

Well, the effect part is what I'm after. There isn't one at present. Just think of the guy as being a hero of another sort. And we could help him. Just donate to my kickstarter.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

So you can be legally murdered for a lack of common sense nowadays,? well there goes half the population of Earth.

Well not quite half but give the US military time, they are working on it.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: CoherentlyConfused

This was an illegal stop for a seatbelt violation, ffs.

Yah, now we know that. And ffs read why I said in my first post. I agree the cop blew it, ffs.

Turrets much?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

How about, you're going to jail for 20 years, #hole. And let that be a lesson to your buddies.

Can't what for you to call cops "assholes" to their face in the dark while ducking for your wallet. Maybe we'll see video.

Lets see, who's going home and sleep in their bed tonight?

Right or wrong, keyboard warriors have even less sense. That helps generate the fear more police increasingly have about their duty.

I bet you call them names after they save your bacon on the side of the road when you are in an accident and bleeding.

But that probably won't happen to you, either.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I had a feeling this story would show up on ATS. A few comments from the redneck side of the tracks...

First, although some may argue, I do not consider myself a "cop-hater." I have a lot of respect for the ones who try to do their job with common sense and restraint. If I am pulled over, I am being officially instructed to communicate with the officer, who is in charge of the situation. Fine. I can live with that (pun intended).

What I am not officially required to do is submit wholly and completely to the officer's will. That is a violation of my freedoms. I have to remain there, comply with all legal requests, accept arrest if warranted, and not become a threat to the officer. I do not have to be in fear for my life, submit to a beating, or comply with illegal requests.

It is in my best interest to be helpful and cooperative as much as possible, and these things I do. Sometimes the officer responds with respect and we resolve the situation.

Second, I understand completely the stress that on officer has to manage on a daily basis. That's why I am not a police officer; I don't want the stress, and I am not sure I could handle it on a daily basis. I have been shot at myself, have taken pot shots at poachers, and once had my .357 cocked and lying beside a guy's temple (robbery attempt). Thankfully I did not have to fire, but there was no doubt about my ability to do so. Still, after every situation like this, that cold feeling of 'what if' creeps into one's psyche. I am sure that is true for police as well as for non-police.

But the key here is that this is the job... this is not a surprise to those who hire on. If I become an astronaut, would it be reasonable for me to refuse to go into space because of the danger involved? No! I went into the occupation with my eyes open... and every police officer went into that occupation knowing it was a tough and dangerous job. I'm all for reasonable safety precautions, but can we define reasonable? I don't think shooting to stop (which is what police are trained to do) because someone wasn't wearing a seat belt and moved faster than was comfortable when asked to perform a task is a reasonable act to promote safety. Sure, the cop in this case was much safer after shooting the victim than he was before the victim was shot, but at the cost of the victim being unjustly injured. I consider that unreasonable.

There are two basic ways to respond to a situation: offense and defense. If one feels unsafe, the proper method is defense. Defense in this case would have been to perhaps unholster the weapon, perhaps even draw it, and to bark the order to "STOP!" That would perhaps have been reasonable, although even that action would have made me wonder about the officer's fitness for duty. Wonder is, however, orders of magnitude less damning than what happened.

Third, where was the officer's taser? I know, I know, I have been a loud opponent of taser use, but it would have still been preferable to a bullet in this case. The victim was not being pulled over for a violent offense and the officer had no information that could reasonably lead him to suspect that violence was imminent. If the sudden movement was so threatening to the officer, perhaps, just perhaps, something less lethal than a bullet could be used? I would still have thought the officer's response as excessive, but at least the victim wouldn't have been pumping blood all over the place.

Fourth, the quality of those who choose to wear the badge seems to be decreasing exponentially. I have mentioned before that the worst students I met while attending college were those in the Criminal Justice program (including more than one who actually said they wanted to be in law enforcement so they could "shoot people"). The days of the strong, secure, brave, and fair police officer seem to be gone... or at least rapidly disappearing.

Allow me to pose this dilemma: you are driving down the road when another car makes you pull off the road, be it through a verbal order or a physical maneuver. The inhabitants get out of the car and approach you with weapons clearly visible on their person. They order you about, look through your possessions, and threaten you. Perhaps their friends show up to increase their numbers. You get scared and make a sudden move, and are gunned down on the side of the road.

Does it really matter what "colors" the gang is wearing? Is blue somehow better than a different color?

The real difference is not that the car pulling you over is marked as a police car... it is that the police (supposedly) have a reputation of being fair with you. That doesn't mean they will allow themselves to come to harm or that they won't be ready to fight an armed attack with deadly force, but rather that they have no intention of harming you unless you take drastic action against them. If this be true, then you are being pulled over and placed in a situation where you have a reasonable expectation of safety due to the inhabitants of the car being police officers, as opposed to a group of thugs where you would have no such reasonable expectation of safety.

Once the ordinary citizen loses that reasonable expectation of safety in a confrontational situation with a police officer, the line between cop and thug blurs, and people begin to react to police the same way they would react to thugs. Just comply, don't say anything confrontational, make no sudden moves, try to survive the situation.

Or, perhaps, try to get away... at all costs.

This is the problem. People are rapidly losing that respect of the police, and as that respect erodes, the police no longer find the average person to be friendly and helpful. In science, when an experiment is conducted with a changed variable and the result is undesired, that variable is changed back to its original value and a different variable is altered. If you are driving a car and stepping on the brake makes the car slow down, you don't step on it harder wondering why the car isn't speeding up... you release the brake and try a different pedal. But somehow, in this case, the response by the police in general has been top become more thug-like, more intimidating, more suspicious, and to actually do some of the same things a thug would do: inflict pain, injure, and even kill.

All in the name of "safety."

An aside to the poster who earlier stated that he had three friends in law enforcement gunned down in LA: I am truly sorry. That is why I am (again) trying to speak out against this abuse of power we are seeing. It wasn't just one person who shot your friends; it was the fear that situations like this one cause that allowed and perhaps even encouraged the actions of those who pulled the trigger.

This officer over-reacted. Period. A person was injured needlessly due to his over-reaction. Outside of law enforcement, we call that "assault with a deadly weapon." Only when the attacker is wearing a blue uniform do we get to refer to it as "an accidental shooting." This was no accident... this was a pre-meditated decision by a professional to fire at a person accused of nothing more than failing to wear a seat belt while at a gas station and who tried to comply with a legal order a bit faster than the cop wished.

(more)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
(cont)

I drove a truck for 8 years. As a truck driver, I was expected to be in better control of my 80,000 lb. behemoth than others were of their little 2500 lb. car with a sport handling package. I was expected to make sure every single light was in perfect operating condition 100% of the time, that the pneumatic systems were always leak-free, and everything about the truck was perfect at all times. If a bridge clearance was mis-marked, I was still expected to ensure that I would not hit it. I was subject to additional regulations and rules, and in a collision, I was required to prove my innocence regardless of the circumstances.

I was held to a higher standard, because I had training and experience and because the increased mass of my truck meant I had more authority on the road than others.

A doctor has special regulations and responsibilities in order to obtain the increased authority to hand out strong medications.

A lawyer has increased liability for giving bad advice.

Why is it then that a police officer, who has the greatest authority of all, is not expected to hold themselves to a higher standard of responsibility?

In closing, I believe this officer must, if this cycle is to be stopped, be sentenced to the maximum 20 year sentence, and be placed in general population with no special treatment. Is this a death sentence? Possibly, but with increased authority comes increased responsibility. He must be held to a higher standard, not a lower one. The fact that his job makes him a target in prison is increased responsibility to act lawfully. If that responsibility is taken away, he becomes a thug, protected by the government that hired him, which makes that government no better than organized crime.

Feel free to bash this post... have at it! I rarely have time to get on lately, so I might or might not even see the reply. But while you're screaming at the moon and howling in anger at the crazy redneck who doesn't "get it," think about it.

You might just wake up.

Nah... probably not. But I can dream...

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
No bashing here, your post was spot on and pure logic, plain and simple. Anyone who could care to claim contrary is merely an apologist who probably has family in law enforcement and believe that's puts them above the law as a result. Well dead innocent unarmed people have families too jackasses. But they don't matter right, because they did not VOLUNTEER to jump into harms way by joining law enforcement.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

Obviously im saying its stupid that we have to have so many threads about the same thing.

All I can say about the video is...well, it really pisses me off. Im sick of seeing this crap from cops, I used want to be a state trooper growing up, I loved everything police growing up. I truly looked up to the police in my neighbor hood and they knew me very well, even went on some ride alongs. But now, screw all that I dont trust them and I dont want to be associated with them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join