It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's first 'healthy couple' euthanasia (suicide) to be carried out in Belgium

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
After making assisted suicide legal even for minors, Belgium is making headlines again.

While I am not against people committing assisted suicide due to age related issues, I wonder
how long it will take until we see teenagers with mis-diagnosed or non-existent "diseases" start
being brainwashed that "euthanasia" is a good way out.

What also troubles me, is that at some point not so far away in time we will probably hear
the term "mandatory euthanasia" for the first time.

Healthy OAP couple to die together by assisted suicide

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: absente
After making assisted suicide legal even for minors, Belgium is making headlines again.

While I am not against people committing assisted suicide due to age related issues, I wonder
how long it will take until we see teenagers with mis-diagnosed or non-existent "diseases" start
being brainwashed that "euthanasia" is a good way out.

What also troubles me, is that at some point not so far away in time we will probably hear
the term "mandatory euthanasia" for the first time.

Healthy OAP couple to die together by assisted suicide

We already have mandatory euthanasia here in the United States. It's called lethal injection.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: absente

What also troubles me, is that at some point not so far away in time we will probably hear the term "mandatory euthanasia" for the first time.

i can't see something like mandatory euthanasia happening, i mean look how much its frowned upon for voluntary euthanasia and how much there is done to stop it, majority of countries wont even legalise it at all let alone entertain the thought of making it mandatory in certain cases, what would they even be able to do it for anyway? Only really as a death penalty for a bad crime? and yeah thats already a reality anyway.

I don't like the idea of it at all personally because it does have the potential to be abused and people that want to commit suicide need help not euthanasia, it shouldn't be an option, i do get it for people with age related issues, no one should have to suffer after a long lived life when their very close to death anyway, so i think it is ok for that but apart from that i really don't like the idea of it.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Nothing wrong with it. I think every human should have the right to end their own life. Barbiturates should be readily available to those seeking a peaceful way out. Some people are going to end their lives no matter what and should be able to do it without having to resort to extreme, gruesome and painful ways. The nanny state should be abolished and people should take back their freedom as a human being.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I am from Belgium.

As far as I know it is forbidden to take your own life, if the attempt failed then you end up in a psychiatric hospital and maybe have to go to court.

After that comes the bills from the hospital, court, police, and the fireman that released you from your car or wherever they helped you with.

Insurance turns their back, you're on your own.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shana91aus
i can't see something like mandatory euthanasia happening, i mean look how much its frowned upon for voluntary euthanasia and how much there is done to stop it, majority of countries wont even legalise it at all let alone entertain the thought of making it mandatory in certain cases...

Yes and look when Elvis' dancing was considered appalling. All that hip gyrating suggestive of dirty sex.
Then look at Nikki Minaj's anaconda video today, as well as countless others. Well, pretty much every other video but you get what I mean.

Given enough time, most taboo things become accepted.

Personally I have no issue with assisted suicide especially if you have a terminal illness. After all it's your life.
At least it's clean and parents and loved ones don't have to happen upon a messy scene.

I do think there should be an age limit though. Most people don't realize just how precious life really is until their thirties or later.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Am I the only one bothered by the part of the article that says...

Identified only by their first names, Francis, 89, and Anne, 86, they have the support of their three adult children who say they would be unable to care for either parent if they became widowed.

Really? REALLY? Out of three, nobody can care for a parent that is widowed. Not... We can't care for a terminally ill parent that needs around the clock skilled care. No.... Just, we can't take care of a parent that is "widowed".

I am all for everyone having the right to end their life when they choose to do so for any reason they choose to do it. But that one statement, I find really disturbing.

We don't really want to help take care of a widowed parent, so we think it's best if they just die together.

I certainly hope that it's more to it than that. I just don't even...

I guess the parents wanted it regardless. The wording of it is a bit much I think. It is stated in a way that makes it sound like the kids are cheering for this simply because they can't be bothered. I hope the support is because both parents want it and not because it will put any of them out.
edit on 9/26/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Those people who wish to commit suicide are nearly 90 years old. Their children could be close to 70 and in need of their own care. If I was having to take care of my 80 year old elderly mother I'd have a hard time of it, even at my 'young' age of 52. (I'm chronically ill). My father-in-law is 83 and there is no way I could take care of him. He needs round the clock care and it takes three people to help him get out of bed to poop or shower etc etc. He has severe dementia.

I hear what you say about the 'widowed' thing though.
That didn't sound right.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 9/26/2014 by FlyersFan because: forgot tags

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Am I the only one bothered by the part of the article that says...

Identified only by their first names, Francis, 89, and Anne, 86, they have the support of their three adult children who say they would be unable to care for either parent if they became widowed.

Really? REALLY? Out of three, nobody can care for a parent that is widowed. Not... We can't care for a terminally ill parent that needs around the clock skilled care. No.... Just, we can't take care of a parent that is "widowed".

I am all for everyone having the right to end their life when they choose to do so for any reason they choose to do it. But that one statement, I find really disturbing.

We don't really want to help take care of a widowed parent, so we think it's best if they just die together.

I certainly hope that it's more to it than that. I just don't even...

I guess the parents wanted it regardless. The wording of it is a bit much I think. It is stated in a way that makes it sound like the kids are cheering for this simply because they can't be bothered. I hope the support is because both parents want it and not because it will put any of them out.

No you are not the only one! I totally agree and this bit about their savings aka the kids inheritance more than likely made me think wtf??? And if they were worried that they wouldn't have the strength to insist it then surely with their kids being so agreeing to it they could make sure their parents wish is fulfilled to have it happen after their done with their time in the home and their partner has passed..

They decided that life in a care home was not an option because of their fear they would end up bedridden without the strength to insist on euthanasia. They are also afraid that a good retirement home would cost more than their combined pensions and that they would have to dig into their savings to afford it.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

originally posted by: Shana91aus
i can't see something like mandatory euthanasia happening, i mean look how much its frowned upon for voluntary euthanasia and how much there is done to stop it, majority of countries wont even legalise it at all let alone entertain the thought of making it mandatory in certain cases...

Yes and look when Elvis' dancing was considered appalling. All that hip gyrating suggestive of dirty sex.
Then look at Nikki Minaj's anaconda video today, as well as countless others. Well, pretty much every other video but you get what I mean.

Given enough time, most taboo things become accepted.

Personally I have no issue with assisted suicide especially if you have a terminal illness. After all it's your life.
At least it's clean and parents and loved ones don't have to happen upon a messy scene.

I do think there should be an age limit though. Most people don't realize just how precious life really is until their thirties or later.

I get what your trying to say and i agree about music videos and am kinda repulsed by majority of then but i honestly cant compare the entertainment industry to Euthanasia its 2 completely different things albeit both things your comparing are taboo but they are two very different things, one is ending a life one is just some skanks exploiting themselves.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: absente

It can trouble you as much as you allow it to, but in the end it's none of your business and brainwashed or not - a person can and will do what they wish with their own life.

It's time for people to take their poke noses and get them out of other people's business.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

What?!

Europe's superior health & welfare system doesn't include support and care for the elderly? Somebody get Michael Moore on the horn....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/008b4eb31160.jpg[/atsimg]

If people want to off themselves for whatever reason it's fine by me.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
EUTHANASIA IS OK BECAUSE IT'S HEARTBREAKING TO DIE OF LONELINESS?

"The pair from Brussels fear loneliness if the other one dies first"

This poor individual lives and breathes for his team, his life is over because his team didn't win the Super Bowl - can he travel overseas to "CURE" his heartbreak?.

CAN OF WORMS

edit on 26-9-2014 by James1970 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: James1970
This poor individual lives and breathes for his team, his life is over because his team didn't win the Super Bowl - can he travel overseas to "CURE" his heartbreak?.

Sure, why not? It's his choice.
The world is overcrowded anyways. If someone wants 'off' ... let them off.
Why hold someone here who doesn't want to be here? It's silly.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 9/26/2014 by FlyersFan because: forgot tags

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Those people who wish to commit suicide are nearly 90 years old. Their children could be close to 70 and in need of their own care. If I was having to take care of my 80 year old elderly mother I'd have a hard time of it, even at my 'young' age of 52. (I'm chronically ill). My father-in-law is 83 and there is no way I could take care of him. He needs round the clock care and it takes three people to help him get out of bed to poop or shower etc etc. He has severe dementia.

I hear what you say about the 'widowed' thing though.
That didn't sound right.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought it didn't sound right. I made a point to add that in, because I don't know all of the situation from just this short article. I think it struck a nerve because we (mostly in the US) have a way of throwing our elderly away IMO. No parent wants their children to throw their life away taking care of them in their old age, but more children should at least want to make the effort I feel.

I guess my recent personal experience colors my judgement of this and I debated even replying because of that.

I do see your point and it is indeed a valid one. I did not take into consideration the children's ages at all. It didn't even make a blip on my radar for some reason.... It should have. The average life span is in the 70's, so their children may very well have issues that would prevent them from providing care if they survive long enough.

Life can be a complicated mess sometimes.

a reply to: Shana91aus

I sincerely hope that has nothing to do with the final decisions. I mean it. I hate to think of these people that I don't even know doing this because they don't think they will be cared for at all if they need it.

It's a shame that one's mind even wanders to that these days. It happens and most of us have seen it happen and that jades a person. You can't help but wonder if everyone has an agenda after seeing it over and over whether it's in real life or on the news.

I hope their decision is based solely on it being something they both genuinely want instead of both being afraid that there will be nobody left to care after their spouse is gone. That would be more than heartbreaking.

originally posted by: James1970
EUTHANASIA IS OK BECAUSE IT'S HEARTBREAKING TO DIE OF LONELINESS?

"The pair from Brussels fear loneliness if the other one dies first"

CAN OF WORMS

It's his life. He should be able to end it whenever he wishes and not when someone tells him that he's had enough.

I don't believe in suicide, but I do believe that nobody in the government anywhere gave you life so they should have no authority over whether you can take it yourself or not. Some people can live with more than others can. Whether it's more pain, more loneliness, more heartbreak, etc. We are not all equipped the same and ones quality of life means a lot.

Do I think it's silly to be scared of being alone? Absolutely. Do I think people should check out because their fear of being alone all but paralyzes them? No... But I don't have to wake up every morning and go to bed every night in their life, so I have no clue what they feel like they can live with and what they can't.

JMO of course. I do believe some of us are equipped to fight in this life more so than some others. I don't think most people would make this decision willy nilly just because they can.

edit on 9/26/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Your right on this occasion - This clown is a waste of space.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: laurentius
I am from Belgium.

As far as I know it is forbidden to take your own life, if the attempt failed then you end up in a psychiatric hospital and maybe have to go to court.

After that comes the bills from the hospital, court, police, and the fireman that released you from your car or wherever they helped you with.

Insurance turns their back, you're on your own.

So...
Try again?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: James1970

This is a slippery slope fallacy as ludicrous as the suggestion that allowing gay marriage will lead to people marrying their pets.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: FinalCountdown

Try again? lol - You won't be released as long as you are sick

By the time they release you... you're full of medication... and a medicated person is a happy one.

A good example is my neighbour, also a good friend, he wants to die because his youth is over,
but he is happy with his medication, he is also addicted to it, he loves to sleep... duh !!!

And that is the problem here, we have the best health care in the world, they won't let you die because the medical pharmacy's want the money.
So euthanasia is cheapest way to get out.

Try again? nah... after 18 yrs i'm also happy with my pills

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: James1970

This is a slippery slope fallacy as ludicrous as the suggestion that allowing gay marriage will lead to people marrying their pets.

Human–animal marriage

Apparently we live in topsy-turvey land where fallacy means truth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join