It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is OBSESSED with race! Why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I have come to find out that two Americans can not interact on any kind of level without their race being somehow relivent. For instance any time you watch the news or read an article people are labeled by their races as if it has some kind of factor on the outcome. Like the Michael Brown shooting. Would people still be upset if he was white, but yet all we can talk about is a white American having a run in with an African American. It's almost like race is more important than any other factor in this country. Even though human commit acts against each other of all races it's only important if they are different. Why can't we just say an American accosted another. Race has to and must be pointed out before almost all other evidence as if the color of your skin makes you innocent or guilty. A part of me thinks people in this country believe crimes and other actions are solely dependent on race. Some of you even say "if blah blah would have been white this would have never happened" as if bullets when fired pick out their targets based on what would make the best news story.

Thoughts

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I should have thought it was obvious.

The USA is a society originally founded on the enslavement of one race by another, which then fought a civil war over slavery that almost tore the country in two. It is a society that has been through massive trauma because of racial issues. And 150 years after slavery was abolished, differences in economic and social attainment between the descendants of masters and the descendants of slaves remain huge.

How could America not be obsessed by race?

edit on 25/9/14 by Astyanax because: it's obvious.

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Are we? Or are we constantly bombarded with images of stereotypical "racial" characters?

I bump into so many different races during the day and rarely have a problem. Usually mutual common courtesy and respect.

America is kept divided by the media and the constant assumptions they feed us. Meanwhile, we have huge amounts of interracial couples, cultural exchange, a mixing pot.

Race is only an issue with impressionable minds, shaped by leaders and figures who know divide and conquer keeps the system in check.

People have told me racism in other countries is out of control. A young man from Cameroon told me violence on the continent is sickening. The Middle East, Europe. It's allover. Xenophobia is caution that has turned into total distrust. We're cautious of outsiders, even members of our own races. But when the cautiousness turns into disdain and fighting, it becomes a threat to all races.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: marbles87

Some of you even say "if blah blah would have been white this would have never happened" as if bullets when fired pick out their targets based on what would make the best news story.

The bullets don't pick out their targets, the idiots firing the guns do. And yes, the race of the victim plays a huge part in the outcome. Have you never seen this video:

Unfortunately, race is still a dominating part of American society. Is it unfair? Of course it is. Will it change anytime soon? Probably not.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Why? Because people have bought into the propaganda.

A house divided can not stand.

Someone is always willing to step in and stir the shiite regardless of race. We are taught to not celebrate all of our differences... we should fear them and not exalt them. We were taught that those differences should be considered a flaw in that race. We were also taught to never trust anyone who doesn't look like us, talk like us, or even believe like us. We have sadly been taught that those differences are deficits thus allowing one to feel superior to anyone else who is different.

They drank the kool aid...

And continue to ask for more.
edit on 9/25/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Are we?

You are.

Anyone looking at America from the outside can see it clearly. Despite your melting-pot ethos, you struggle with multiculturalism. Look at the rest of America; much of the New World was opened up and civilized through the use of slave labour, yet Latin Americans don't have nearly the same concern for race and racial issues that norteños do.

Britain was slaver to the world (including the USA) for centuries before slave trading by Britons was abolished in 1830. Many of the great country houses of England — places like the fictional Downton Abbey — were built on the profits of the slave trade. Liverpool became a great city the same way. Yet England today, while it has racial problems like nearly all modern societies do, is not a society obsessed by race issues.

I predict an interesting discussion.

edit on 25/9/14 by Astyanax because: of the Triangular Trade.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Races means nothing in today's age. We are all equally being screwed over. All Americans are now slaves to the machine. In a time where I thought race would be a non issue it's all that seems to matter. Terrible things happen all the time but we only care about racially charged ones. So if everyone was in prison it's like people would be cool as long as they got all the others of another race. "If you're gonna do blah blah to us first get the blah blahs"

Terrible.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Because race is the most important social issue of any nation. Whether people realize it or not.
edit on 25-9-2014 by Chimpout because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-9-2014 by Chimpout because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
It's all about Hot Badass American Speed!

Everybody loves to watch the crashes

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
It's part of our British heritage. The British were obsessed with using science to prove white supremacy in the time of Darwin. They even tried to use his work for the purpose. They also tried to use the size of skulls (brains) among other pseudoscience. Wish I could remember the term for that.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Why do people claim the Civil War was fought over slavery? So funny how deep the propaganda and re-writing of history goes...

link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Are we?

You are.

Anyone looking at America from the outside can see it clearly. Despite your melting-pot ethos, you struggle with multiculturalism. Look at the rest of America; much of the New World was opened up and civilized through the use of slave labour, yet Latin Americans don't have nearly the same concern for race and racial issues that norteños do.

Our jackass President jumping in with his minions every time a there a race issue and siding with one side doesn't help either. I'm fed up with hearing about race and so are most people. One side keeps pulling the card to be honest and it starts with Jesse Jackson and his group of idiots.. I don't want to hear about slavery anymore. Not one white person was involved in that who is alive today.

link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Nearly every country struggles with multiculturalism. England, Canada, there, here, over there. It's not exclusive to America.

And the issue of slavery is like salt on an open wound. How many African tribes sold other tribal members to the slave dealers? Plenty. We don't hear about that in the media.

Or what about white families who were too poor to own slaves? They're being categorized by groups rallying against categorization. We're all people, 7+ billion people will continue fighting among themselves instead of uniting.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: finitedualities
Why do people claim the Civil War was fought over slavery? So funny how deep the propaganda and re-writing of history goes...

Because they're uneducated, that's why. It's what they were told and never actually read about it themselves.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: marbles87

You're on the right track here...it's a diversionary tactic. A United people is a dangerous thing to those abusing power in the open. Better to keep things separated and full of contempt for each other.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Well America may not be perfect. Few places are, but we did elect a black president. "Not me"
Has England had a black prime minister?
France?
Germany?
Australia?
Canada?
Or are blacks not allowed in those countries?
That has to count for a step in the right direction.
I'm not saying that racial tensions don't exist but we are working on it. Every generation in this country gets us closer the true equality. But it will take forgiveness for the past or the hate will never go away.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
I should have thought it was obvious.

The USA is a society originally founded on the enslavement of one race by another, which then fought a civil war over slavery that almost tore the country in two. It is a society that has been through massive trauma because of racial issues. And 150 years after slavery was abolished, differences in economic and social attainment between the descendants of masters and the descendants of slaves remain huge.

How could America not be obsessed by race?

Founded on slavery? So, by your logic, during that time period people wore white puffy wigs, therefore this country was founded on white fluffy wigs?

This country was founded by colonists that were seeking independence from the British. That's the simple fact of the matter. Are you implying the founding fathers were conspiring to form a massive slave empire, and that was the goal in declaring independence from Britain? If you have some evidence to back that up I'd happily peruse it, but as of now you appear to be simple re-writing history.

Do you believe the civil war was about slavery and Lincoln was a civil rights activist too?

America is obsessed with race for one simple reason. It breeds division. Division makes the population rife for control and oppression.

I just want to live my life and go about my business. People like you don't, you want to vilify people and make judgements on a whole race, while at the same time saying it's not OK to judge based on race.

Stop hypocrisy and racism disappears overnight. All the people involved in the "race debate" happen to love hypocrisy so I don't see anything getting better soon.

Until you look at me as simply another citizen, instead of a "white person" who is guilty for things he has no control over and no part in, things won't change. Until ignorant whites start looking at blacks as just another citizen instead of a "black person" who is guilty for things he had no part in, things will never change.

If you try to separate yourself as some different special group of people, then you can't blame others when they view you as a separate group.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

America's first slave owner was a black man if I'm not mistaken. So why aren't most black people upset about that?

We're all slaves to the system. We're only kept on a large tract of land with options to blind us. A slave is most productive when they believe they are free.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
" America is OBSESSED with race! Why? "

Heritage is a big factor and big money ....

Slavery in the Spanish New World colonies

The British were not the first in the Americas.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Well America may not be perfect. Few places are, but we did elect a black president. "Not me"
Has England had a black prime minister?
France?
Germany?
Australia?
Canada?
Or are blacks not allowed in those countries?
That has to count for a step in the right direction.
I'm not saying that racial tensions don't exist but we are working on it. Every generation in this country gets us closer the true equality. But it will take forgiveness for the past or the hate will never go away.

All that and the fact we are being invaded by millions who come here illegally.

Everything was going great until Travon got popped by the White Mexican.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join