It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best birthday ever.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Edit:

Girlfriend bought me Epiphone Les Paul Standard, baby blue guitar for my birthday.

I feel like a lucky woman tonight.

So I have been looking up songs that I want to learn since I haven't had an electric guitar in a long time. I think I am going to go with "Deep Purple- Burn". I need a song that will make me faster and understand arpeggios a little better.

I feel so happy, that was the sweetest thing. Never had someone buy me a musical instrument before. I will put it to good use.

Anyone ever had a similar sweet gift or great support from a loved one?

edit on 25-9-2014 by OrphanApology because: for christ's sake, me! Only one topic too.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Awesome!!!!

Great girlfriend!!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

I know!

It is an awesome gift.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Awesome gift!

I had a good birthday today too! Got the $ to order my Beat Buddy tomorrow! mybeatbuddy.com

edit on 25-9-2014 by wastedown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

I may sound dumb, but what's a beat buddy?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Not dumb at all.. I edited to add the web address... It's a new product... Basically a drummer in a guitar pedal. Pretty cool stuff for solo acts a reply to: OrphanApology

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

You might find this interesting:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Very cool vid... I had no idea you can get piezos(sp?) at radio shack... Makes it pretty easy to electrify tons of noisemakers.

I'm using my phone so adding vids or links seems to be an issue right now for me.

I am a singer and guitarist and the Beat Buddy let's you pick a beat for your song then just tap a pedal to play a fill, tap it twice for the chorus, add breakdowns or anything else you want to do. You can add a 2nd pedal for expression stuff to add more cowbell. Gonna make it easy to plug it, my guitar, my Mic & delay pedals to one amp on the street and sound like a whole band.

My drummer will ALWAYS show up for rehearsals, and never get too drunk to play.... Me, on the other hand,, I'm the talent so I can do what I want! Hahaha Are these brown m&m's?! Wire Hangars!!

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Big time congratulations and belated happy birthday! That is an awesome guitar. What a wonderful g/f you have ;o)

My darlin' got me a Martin DMC15 guitar for my birthday. Almost all mahogany with great built-in pickup. wonderful tone.

You can find free backing tracks on the 'net to play to. Using those, I learned how to play almost all of the Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon album, using my Strat electric. Wonderful way to spend a coupla hours.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Most of the world's troubles would disappear if everyone had an electric guitar.

ETA: Burn by Deep Purple is some serious rockin'!

edit on 9/25/2014 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

I know!

That song is very, very cool.

Looking forward to even getting close to playing it all the way through.

# to the yeah.
edit on 25-9-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Lucky you!
I know an easy song that you may like, or not, IDK. But here goes: Cat Power: Speak For Me
There's a lot of YouTube vids that teach you the basics to advanced. Very handy and it's all free!
Happy jammin'
Oh, and happy birthday

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Ritchie Blackmore is a beast!
I have a dvd of Rainbow live and he is nearly frightening to watch.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I got the exact same gift from my wife at Christmas some many years ago, before kids and when our home still had equity. My wife baught me a black Epiphone Les Paul and I got her an IPod, the first IPod. It was the best Christmas as far as Christmas present goes for both of us.

Great guitar, looks good sounds good. I never had a good solid amp to play it through though, so if you don't have one now, try and work your magic for one this Christmas.

Edit: first song I played on it was Yellow Ledbetter.

edit on 25-9-2014 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Nice!

I recently got a 2014 ocean blue traditional les paul

It's heavy compared to my other les paul!

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I always wanted a Les Paul, this is the Epiphone version but it's still a beautiful guitar. They are very heavy compared to strat styles but that's okay! I still think it's a gorgeous guitar. Love the color too!

Maybe one day I will save up and get a genuine Les Paul.

I don't know though, something about having a 1k+ guitar makes me very paranoid lol. Knowing my clumsy self, I'd probably drop it.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

It's not just that but you can hear the classical influences in their music. I think newer bands like Muse copy a lot from them. There are other bands as well that do that but I think for learning speed playing, this would be a great song to start with. I don't know what Rainbow Live is, I guess it was a show of theirs? I will see if I can find a video somewhere.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

I need a new amp. I actually have an amp but the tubes are blown and I bought the wrong size.

It's actually a pain when that happens on tube amp because you have to replace the fuses as well. I should probably just invest in a new one but I don't know much about them.

I've just been hooking it into computer and using headphones. Lame, but better than nothing lol.
edit on 26-9-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
a reply to: Lysergic

I always wanted a Les Paul, this is the Epiphone version but it's still a beautiful guitar. They are very heavy compared to strat styles but that's okay! I still think it's a gorgeous guitar. Love the color too!

Maybe one day I will save up and get a genuine Les Paul.

I don't know though, something about having a 1k+ guitar makes me very paranoid lol. Knowing my clumsy self, I'd probably drop it.

Awesome they are great guitars
I've only had my strap slip off the guitar once but that was a 7-string Ibanez Steve Vai I got. Still the ocean blue les paul is the heaviest!

Take pics, and write your serial numbers down!

top topics

join