It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple knew of iCloud security hole 6 months before Celebgate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Apple knew of iCloud security hole 6 months before Celebgate

The strength of Apple’s security came under fire earlier this month after hundreds of celebrity nude photos, allegedly stolen from iCloud servers, flooded the Internet. While the exploit Balic says he reported to Apple shares a stark resemblance to the exploit allegedly used in the so-called "Celebgate" hack, it is currently unclear if they are the same vulnerability.

“The vulnerability allegedly discovered in the Find My iPhone service appears to have let attackers use this method to guess passwords repeatedly without any sort of lockout or alert to the target. Once the password has been eventually matched, the attacker can then use it to access other iCloud functions freely.”

He tried to warn Apple and apparently they did not take the security hole too seriously until a bunch of celebrity photos showed up online. (Still waiting to determine if this vulnerability is the one attackers exploited to get the celeb photos).

In an attempt to have Apple take the security hole seriously he made a video of the exploit.

Link: DailyDot

edit on 24-9-2014 by Elton because: Forgot link to article, because I know everyone here will just take my word for it....

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

They just wanted to see all the celebs naked pictures.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

Particularly the beautiful one's!

edit on 24-9-2014 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Show us the pics or it didn't happen

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I would be interested to know what happened in the world, news wise, when everyone was busy googling "Jennifer Lawrence nudes".

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
How about celebrities stop uploading naked pictures of themselves to icloud in an attempt to stop naked pictures of celebrities appearing on the internet?

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Celebgate

Is that even a real concern?

They wanted to be in the public eye in movies, TV shows, Interwebs and Public events and wanted the cash, notoriety and popularity.

Could be worse, They could think that as soon as they get a little notoriety that they have achieved the ability to speak out with authority for the masses on pressing issues of our day.

new topics

top topics

join