It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arvada Colorado School Board Longs to Spin History

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

It doesn't say civil disobedience its says disorder. There is a difference

Again. MLK

Don't try to twist it into something it's not

edit on 9/24/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
A Google news search brings up a bunch.

In her proposal to form a committee for AP curriculum review, conservative JeffCo board member Julie Williams wrote, “Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law. Instructional materials should present positive aspects of the United States and its heritage."

Source

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: gentledissident
respect for authority and respect for individual rights

That is one hell of an oxymoron right there. It's impossible to respect individual rights and respect the same collectives who are constantly trying to curtail those rights and freedoms.

Again, I have to wonder just how "conservative" the folks backing this are given the current slant of the nation and how much more likely conservatives are to be outraged right now versus the more appeased (currently) liberals.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

I concede that point but there is also something to be said for encouraging people to respect the rule of law

Granted there are times the laws are twisted. But there are ways to do this as well

IE. Martin Luther King

I agree, people should follow the law. And if they were to say that they were ADDING things that would help them to better understand and respect laws then fine. But if they twist events, like MLK, Rosa Parks, the civil war, and the like... They are making a new generation of doormats that will let anyone and everyone walk all over them.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

Completely agree with this post

I feel that our history should be laid bare completely and don't advocate the editing of any of it in its teaching (as much as can be )

If this group is indeed trying to do thi. They need to be stopped

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic
I agree, people should follow the law. And if they were to say that they were ADDING things that would help them to better understand and respect laws then fine. But if they twist events, like MLK, Rosa Parks, the civil war, and the like... They are making a new generation of doormats that will let anyone and everyone walk all over them.

Yes, teaching a knowingly biased view of history is not exactly intellectually honest.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Here's a link to Wikipedia about civil disorder. I know a lot of conservatives were upset with Occupy. I'm a social liberal, and I thought they were doing it wrong. LOL.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Can you show me examples of liberal groups changing history being taught in public schools? I will agree that political motivated or religious motivated groups all attempt to re write history but I don't recall any articles about the more liberal groups doing it.

School curriculum should be bi partisan.

Education is the ultimate investment in the future of the country. Red states have the worst education in the country, and conservatives are known for cutting education budgets, sometime to fund tax breaks for the wealthy like whats happening in Kansas.

Our future depends on education, are we going to teach or indoctrinate? Zero Tolerance, a conservative initiative from the Reagan era has basically turned our schools into prisons, or a failed school system to prison railroad.

Wake up conservatives your doing more harm than good!!

ATS doesn't want this video posted so you can search youtube "LAUSD Ends Controversal Zero Tolerance Policy"

edit on 24-9-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton

Yes, teaching a knowingly biased view of history is not exactly intellectually honest.

It's not. I agree. But we've all been taught a biased view of history. The majority of us saw past that though, and that's why we're here.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

It's not. I agree. But we've all been taught a biased view of history. The majority of us saw past that though, and that's why we're here.

I must agree with your statement....

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
a reply to: burdman30ott6ATS doesn't want this video posted so you can search youtube "LAUSD Ends Controversal Zero Tolerance Policy"

Why do you say ATS bans this video? It's OT, but it's good news.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

In her proposal to form a committee for AP curriculum review, conservative JeffCo board member Julie Williams wrote, “Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law. Instructional materials should present positive aspects of the United States and its heritage."

Source

Well that just sounds like a proposal to form a committee.

The rest looks like opinions only. But those "opinions" don't seem too alarming, and perhaps what *is* currently being "taught" is the problem?

Is there any evidence of an actual proposal?

This could be interesting.

Maybe this is a sour grapes thing by Liberals.

They all seem to feel threatened lately by just about anything that moves.

Reverse effects of Obama support maybe.

edit on Sep-24-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It seems to me. That they are not changing history. They are emphasizing certain aspects that they believe in and d-emphasizing other aspects they do not believe in. Basically skewing history towards their political views. Which can also be dangerous. Because they may like it now. But when the other side comes in and does the same thing. They will be crying and complaining. History is at its best when it is just pure facts with no spin. It should not matter if your conservative or liberal. Black or white. An earth man or a martian. History should just be told with no bias. Let every group take from it whatever they want. Its okay for our opinions and theories on history to differ. But the information we use to base our opinions and theories on should be the same. In a perfect world that is. We all know this is not a perfect world.

edit on 24-9-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
It seems to me. That they are not changing history. They are emphasizing certain aspects that they believe in and d-emphasizing other aspects they do not believe in. Basically skewing history towards their political views. Which can also be dangerous. Because they may like it now. But when the other side comes in and does the same thing. They will be crying and complaining. History is at its best when it is just pure facts with no spin. It should not matter if your conservative or liberal. Black or white. An earth man or a martian. History should just be told with no bias. Let every group take from it whatever they want. Its okay for our opinions and theories on history to differ. But the information we use to base our opinions and theories on should be the same. In a perfect world that is. We all know this is not a perfect world.

You deserve all of the stars.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy
Well, alright. I changed the title again due to your points. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Source

Well that just sounds like a proposal to form a committee.

The rest looks like opinions only. But those "opinions" don't seem too alarming, and perhaps what *is* currently being "taught" is the problem?

Is there any evidence of an actual proposal?

This could be interesting.

Maybe this is a sour grapes thing by Liberals.

They all seem to feel threatened lately by just about anything that moves.

Reverse effects of Obama support maybe.

Forget the left right bollocks for once will you?

Fact is history should be taught without agenda.

Fostering patrotism, obediance and captitlism is NOT what history should be about and should not be a goal.

If anything thats a job for citizdnshio leasons NOT history which should bd taught in full warts and all, prefrably from a number of view points.
edit on 24-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

But what "Right" agenda is the story suggesting?

Looks more like a "Left" jealousy problem.

Teachers calling in sick and what not.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Now the title has changed to "Spin History".

Completely confusing.

What history are they trying to "Spin"?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

LOL, Can I use that on a T-Shirt?
"I don't have an agenda. You're just jealous"

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I dont see left or right.

Just meddling people wanting more power,

I find those sort of people sit on the left and right.

Same # just done in diffrent ways.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join