It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch This Crazy Drone With Arms Fly and Turn a Wheel in Mid-Air

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
More news from the robot revolution. I was just watching a documentary where similar drones were learning from each other. These drones will soon be turning door knobs and opening up doors.

I, for one, welcome our new armed-drone overlords

Sure, drones can take videos of Martha Stewart’s farm and maybe even save the environment. But… can they unscrew a bottle cap? Play Twister? Spin a dreidel? Do anything that involves having arms? Well, now we have a drone with arms—that can fly and turn a valve wheel mid-air.

time.com...

We are in the early days of machine intelligence but it's advancing rapidly. Think about the early days of the internet or a personal computer in Woz garage. In between 5 to 20 years from now, intelligent machines will play a much bigger role in our lives. Then once we start simulating human brains it will really get interesting.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Now Amazon can have a drone that will actually open your front door and deliver a package to your kitchen table. Cool.

On more serious note, though, I wonder if these could be fitted with small boosters and used as maintenance droids on the ISS.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
not to mention disassembling wing bolts on airplanes

(eta...while in flight)
edit on Monpm9b20149America/Chicago23 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I wonder how this will affect other manual labor jobs like changing street lights or washing windows on sky scrapers.
We are replacing ourselves.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: tvtexan
I wonder how this will affect other manual labor jobs like changing street lights or washing windows on sky scrapers.
We are replacing ourselves.

Probably not at all..there are limitations. Working from above to down below might be okay though.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I think that this could help open those jars that will not cooperate with our superior human intellect. These could also be stealth assassin drones. Plop yourself on top of a bad guy while he sleeps, and snatch him up with your machine arms. SNAP, no more bad guy. Someone mentioned using these for in-flight repair and similar tasks mid-flight, and I think that would be really cool. Although I would worry about air currents from the larger craft swamping the smaller craft in some manner. Then CRASH, no more robo-copter.

new topics

top topics

join