It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials found dozens of bodies during Sierra Leone’s Ebola lockdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Washington Post

Officials sweeping the homes of Sierra Leone's residents during a three-day lockdown found nearly 100 corpses along with more than 50 people who are infected with the deadly Ebola virus -- cases that were previously unknown to those trying to fight the outbreak, according to the agency leading the country's Ebola response.

The story goes on to say they have 92 bodies from homes as of Saturday evening, and identified 56 positive Ebola cases. they claimed to have inspected about 80% of homes so that number will no doubt change. It also said they are having trouble disposing of the bodies.

From an earlier Bloomberg Story Sierra Leone Ebola Burial Teams Struggle as Bodies Decompose

“We are overwhelmed as we bury between 20 to 30 corpses a day,”
President Ernest Bai Koroma on Aug. 7 ordered that corpses can’t be buried without the Ministry of Health’s authorization. The measure was meant to stop the virus from spreading by preventing people from organizing funerals for relatives

As of last week 500 people have died of Ebola in Sierra Leone, while at least 1,600 have contracted the disease with some 200 new cases reported. that was before todays announcement about finding those 92 bodies and 56 new cases.

But before anyone freaks out lets put those numbers in perspective. sierra Leone population is 6.092 million as of last year, 500 dead and 1,600 sick is next to nothing, numbers wise. I don't mean to sound cold hearted but numerically speaking it's not as wide spread as the media would have us believe. Serious yes, but the country is not about to be depopulated over night from Ebola.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

You are right about it not being a huge number.......Yet. This is scary none the less and with it doubling every 30 days it adds up real fast. It is a nice to see a OP bring a story and yet not try and cause panic.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

To me scary was at the start of the month when we had that mystery flu going around.
Over in Denver they had like 900 kids hospitalized from it. and Denver is only like a 3 hour drive from my place...

Luckily my 2 little girls didn't come down with it... but that was a story that hit much closer to home ya know

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is scary, Only one way to dispose of Ebola Victims, Incenerate them IMO. ITs Unfortunate, and sad, But it will be even more unfortunate if this gets way out of control. Im glad to see such a lockdown occur, this is the kind of action we need.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Who's panicking? Besides the victims, I mean?

Heres a good interview this AM with the director of Doctors without Borders. She has just returned from active participation in the Hot Zone and is full of good info. Video and transcript below.

Yes, its the dreaded RT

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

It is funny how times have changed I seem to remember the flu being sick on the toilet and a cold being the sniffles and a cough? Now everything is the flu it seems.

I am not really worried about catching Ebola even if it does make it into the states. It is the panic from the masses I fear. So many people are turning into preppers/survivalists that when something does happen people will freak out big time. The whole world is collectively holding it's breath it seems waiting for a shoe to drop.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

It is the panic from the masses I fear. So many people are turning into preppers/survivalists that when something does happen people will freak out big time. The whole world is collectively holding it's breath it seems waiting for a shoe to drop.

This is agent 69 reporting in... SubTruth is onto our plan for world domination... dispatch the men in black ASAP!

Oh I think most everyone has a little prepper in them... Living where I do the wife and I have to plan for bad winter storms knocking out our power. the wife works in a hospital ER so yeah she some times brings home whatever cold bug is going around, get that from the girls bring home stuff from school.

what makes Ebola so bad over there almost primitive health care... that's why Obama is sending those 3000 US troops, to build them new clinics and help train healthcare workers. It's that lack of that has lead to the rapid spread you know.
edit on 22-9-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

The incineration would have to be controlled and they don't have the means for that, they can't just start a bonfire and pile bodies on top, contaminated unburnt material could go airborne, and they would still need to bury the burnt material as there could be left overs of contaminated material.

The easiest is still to bury the dead.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Ya I kinda figured that you're prepper also from all the awesome threads. I started with the economic collapse in 2008 and still kinda prep. I still think it will be an economic failure but something like this is likely given a long enough time line.

I also live in the great white north and keeping warm is my first priority, I go by the rule of 3. I am not even sure how to prep for ebola? Maybe some masks and gloves. You should author a thread........
edit on 22-9-2014 by SubTruth because: Sleepy

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

My wife is the Nurse not me... but I can ask her to put together some stuff...
From what little I know it's not just blood, but sweat, saliva and fecal matter carries the virus too?
I would think you could contract it from a sick persons bedding. I'll have to ask the wife she might know more about than I do.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

From what little I know it's not just blood, but sweat, saliva and fecal matter carries the virus too?
I would think you could contract it from a sick persons bedding. I'll have to ask the wife she might know more about than I do.

I know nothing about this kind of stuff. My plan would be stay put and not go outside I think. Strange times we live so many stories of impending.......DOOM....Best scary voice.

It is not just the conspiracy world anymore many mainstream people I talk with say the same things nowadays. The fringe is now the middle and that can not be good thing.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

You might also want to ask her how virus's mutate and can be spread by insects, rodents, etc. Remember the plague that wiped out most of Europe.

www.eyewitnesstohistory.com...

We are just at the beginning of an epidemic. Let's hope ebola will selfdestruct before it mutates into something even more sinister.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 22-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

There has been an issue how the dead have been buried, shallow graves less than a meter and dogs has been digging the bodies out of the graves and eaten those. Bodies should be burnt or buried much deeper than that.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Much because the lack of manpower and training.

My point was that and that the bodies should not be burned in open area, you need something that burns all of the remains completely like a furnace or something.

They apparently don't have such an option.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
What is gong on??
"They have 92 bodies from homes as of Saturday
evening, and identified 56 positive Ebola cases."

So please tell me what the other 36 died from?
Odd.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

No, 92 bodies and 56 confirmed living cases (148 cases total, but the 92 bodies are only probable ebola cases).
edit on 22-9-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join