It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Go Canadian package

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
There has been some discussion on these fora, about the disgruntled US citizens moving to Canada. Looks like there is a further twist to this theme -- even if you don't want to leave the US, you can always pretend you are Canadian when you travel abroad!

www.cnn.com
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (AP) -- An American T-shirt company has a solution for their fellow citizens who want to vacation in Europe without having to answer questions about U.S. politics -- pose as Canadians.

For $24.95, T-shirtKing.com offers the "Go Canadian" package, full of just the kind of things an American traveler needs to leave their country and its politics behind.

There's a Canadian flag T-shirt, a Canadian flag lapel pin and a Canadian patch for luggage or a backpack. There's also a quick reference guide -- "How to Speak Canadian, Eh?" -- on answering questions about Canada.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's a little sad and at the same time slightly amusing that there are Americans who feel the need to camouflage their national identity to avoid awkward political talk. I presonally could never imagine this just 4 years ago. Times have certainly changed.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
As a Canadian, let me say I'm honoured to see you wear our symbols. At $25 it's the best travel insurance you can find.
Makes me kind of feel like Jacques DeMolay in the summer of 1307.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
If foreign policy politics is the reason why they are trying to disquise their citizenship, why not just get DEMOCRAT apparel so at least you can have some pride in your country... geez....

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
maericans pretendin' to be us? that's not cool! that's like changing the entire stereotype right then and there! just imagine: the mean and ugly south (sorry) disguised as the polite and friendly north. but hey, it's kind of a change from americans coming up here to get meds, and us going down there to get our cars fueled. we were going down there to get gas and they were coming up here to get rid of it! (sorry again)

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
People aren't stupid, they can tell the difference between a Canadian and an American, and not just by the accent.

I've been to Europe about 6 or 7 times, and a couple of times I'd get quizzed if I was Canadian or not. In Germany a concierge asked me a few skill-testing questions and said, "We get a lot of Yankees pretending to be Canadian, and if we find them out we don't let them stay here because they are liars and I don't like liars. I usually just ask them for their passport."

So practice your French and get educated.

jako

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo
I've been to Europe about 6 or 7 times, and a couple of times I'd get quizzed if I was Canadian or not. In Germany a concierge asked me a few skill-testing questions and said, "We get a lot of Yankees pretending to be Canadian, and if we find them out we don't let them stay here because they are liars and I don't like liars. I usually just ask them for their passport."

Jesus H Christ. That makes it an even more powerful point...

I was in Europe last week and overheard a derogatory remark refedrring to me as an American. It kinda sucks.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
What a patriot!!!

I'm a Canadian and proud of it If you live in USA you must be proud of your country in everything they do or Fight Against It. Pretending your from another country, thats a cowardly act !!!
Americains are fearfull, they can't stand for what they do.

[edit on 7/12/2004 by kryptikcreations]

[edit on 7/12/2004 by kryptikcreations]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I would never disavow my country!

OTOH, I *will* tuck this into my suitcase on my next trip abroad:

www.cafepress.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
World's Top Tourists:
1st: Germany
2nd: The United States
3rd: Japan

Americans were judged the most courteous and the British the rudest, alongside the Russians and Canadians.

The Brits also seemed to make least effort in speaking the local language, a quality excelled by the Germans, French and Americans.

Americans aren't the rude, unintelligent slobs some people desperately want to believe we are. If people automatically don't like American citizens for the policy of an administration not everyone supports or for generalizations portrayed on tv shows and the less than friendly foreign press...well that's just an example of xenophobia and "brainwashing" that Americans are chastised for.

I admit this is a definite testament to the great foreign policy that Canada has. However, I don't personally know anyone that would be a "fake" Canadian, they must all live in California.

I imagine if you walked into a bar in Europe with a "Don't blame me I voted for Kerry" shirt on people would get a chuckle and you'd be received well.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
While this may seem like an amusing trend now, you probably won't be quite as amused when Canadians start getting killed for being suspected of the heinous crime of "being American".

Frankly, the more I see of this phenomenon, the more I am inclined to reconsider America's place in the world in ways that many of our friends overseas may find alarming.

No action is without consequence.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Let's also put this into perspective. I've travelled through quite a bit through the States, and being a Canadian is an all-purpose ticket for abuse, at least there. You're treated worse than Northerners in the South, worse than Southerners in the North. My family just stopped interacting more than absolutely neccessary with the locals. Between the two, I'd say the Deep South was the least friendly place a Canuck could be. Some bastard actually racked a shotgun at us- a family of five, including a ten year old girl. I mean, WTF! It's like Deliverance.

As far as travelling abroad, from what I hear Americans get as good as they gave my family. It's also a matter of treating the locals like crap, apparently. A lot of people -especially the dutch- welcome Canucks with open arms, a combination of history and the fact that they feel closer politically to us than Americans.

DE

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Let's also put this into perspective. I've travelled through quite a bit through the States, and being a Canadian is an all-purpose ticket for abuse, at least there. You're treated worse than Northerners in the South, worse than Southerners in the North. My family just stopped interacting more than absolutely neccessary with the locals. Between the two, I'd say the Deep South was the least friendly place a Canuck could be. Some bastard actually racked a shotgun at us- a family of five, including a ten year old girl. I mean, WTF! It's like Deliverance.

As far as travelling abroad, from what I hear Americans get as good as they gave my family. It's also a matter of treating the locals like crap, apparently. A lot of people -especially the dutch- welcome Canucks with open arms, a combination of history and the fact that they feel closer politically to us than Americans.

DE

Sorry to hear about the bad experiences...the Upper Peninsula and Wisconsin are the most frequented places for my family and there we were treated fine.

Personally, I wonder if there might not be a market for 'in depth' courses on how to be a true Canuck. We could talk about scrumptious beaver tail with a side order of Poutin or perhaps the brands of beer most Canadians really drink...such as Labatts 50 or Old Vienna. We could also teach you to vent about the Leafs or the goings-on at the Brass Rail after you douse 6 brewskis and your tongue is starting to wag.

On a more serious note, though...just like our famed good-neighbourliness, I still welcome the use of our symbols abroad, even though some real Canucks might suffer. Somehow the idea of our citizens paying the price of rudeness (or worse) because of the ruse being played out doesn't scare me. I feel safe when I go abroad, especially to Holland, and I encourage all Americans to spend time in the beautifully flat Lowlands.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I find it quite hilarious that the canadian's who bash the american's have no problem handing over canadian apparel and the flag as if to show some kind of welcoming to the brotherhood????

Kinda goes like this: "We don't like you guys but you can use our flag as if it's your own so you don't get hassled overseas... That is of course.....ONLY if we are still allowed to diss you any chance we get...

[edit on 8-12-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   

World's Top Tourists:
1st: Germany
2nd: The United States
3rd: Japan

To be fair, that is over 2 years old...

Any Americans that I have come across (and there have been many), are usually smart ar*e,fat ar*e moaning, whining gits.....

Complaining about a variety of things like our roads are too small, our shopping centres are too small ( this being a brand spanking new �250 million one!!), the weather, the people, and how much better it is in the states..... why come if all your gonna do is moan!!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I live in Albuquerque and believe me, there are times when I think we are a suburb of San Francisco. I know a woman who traveled abroad last year and said she was going to put a Canadian flag on her backpack.

They ought to sell these to folks and when they travel abroad, they should be surprised at US Customs on their way back with a one-way ticket to anywhere sans passport.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Take off eh. Hosers.

Nah i think the Go Canada Package is just another example of someone being a smart alek, no different from the George Bush Toliet Paper, or the Giant Flip Flop suits, I wouldn't read alot into it. Might be a good time to get a design patent on some Talking Orwell Doll that when you pull it's string it says "I told you so." though...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
I find it quite hilarious that the canadian's who bash the american's have no problem handing over canadian apparel and the flag as if to show some kind of welcoming to the brotherhood????

Kinda goes like this: "We don't like you guys but you can use our flag as if it's your own so you don't get hassled overseas... That is of course.....ONLY if we are still allowed to diss you any chance we get...

Did I bash Americans? No...they're more like Canadians than they are not... after all, we came from the same ethnic backgrounds. The thing that makes North Americans great is that we got over our European heritages and began building two great countries after fighting for the freedom to do so.

The French, British, Spanish influenced wars on North American soil solidified both countries as powers on their own. America and Canada both had difficult childhoods with power drunk parents...but the influence of the Native Americans tempered the strength of our rebellions with a new way of fighting when we learned a form of battle that held a differing code of warfare than what the 'old countries' knew.

Really...you got something to diss Canada about?...go ahead, let's hear it. I'm listening

[edit on 8-12-2004 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Originally posted by TrueLies

Did I bash Americans? No...

Was I talking to you?

Are you going to play dumb and pretend that some Canadian's don't play the bashing game?? please.

They're more like Canadians than they are not... after all, we came from the same ethnic backgrounds. The thing that makes North Americans great is that we got over our European heritages and began building two great countries after fighting for the freedom to do so.

Well America fought the British for independance, Canada was invaded by Britain, ask the french and the indians, and the inuit who got kicked up north.
The french were going to colonize some more, but settled with the British..
North America is great, not just Canada and the US but Mexico as well...
And btw, that came from Canadian history books before you jump in my # and pretend it never happened...

The French, British, Spanish influenced wars on North American soil solidified both countries as powers on their own. America and Canada both had difficult childhoods with power drunk parents...but the influence of the Native Americans tempered the strength of our rebellions with a new way of fighting when we learned a form of battle that held a differing code of warfare than what the 'old countries' knew.

wow, thanks for the history lesson, I had no idea!

Really...you got something to diss Canada about?...go ahead, let's hear it. I'm listening

How the HELL do you make this connection?? touchy touchy...

Chill out!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
This is like giving some person you view as trailor trash your most valuable handkerchief to wipe their nose with....

top topics

join