It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Princeton University creates solid/crystallized light in experiement

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: Bedlam
a reply to: TzarChasm

No.

What it means is that you can make Jaynes-Cummings structures.

how many electrons does a photon molecule have?

None. It's not really a molecule. The guy who wrote this is striving really hard to make this accessible to laymen. You can get the article online for free. It's not very readable, though.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

correct,,
so,,the atomic weights and properties of the two different ones together however are not the same
what causes the curve?
the only thing that could cause the curve,,cause its a wave and not linear,,
or A+B+C or
The Higg's being C
or the force holding the freq. so we see light.?

Cause Higgs has no Mass,,UNTIL,,a need to create a wave exists.,,,

two different ones together,, and the Mass of one must be preportionally great than the other, in order to produce an attractive effect.
edit on 9/22/2014 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

What would happen if every single debt in the world would just suddenly disappear?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: teamcommander
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

First, let me display my ignorance and ask, If light is made up from photons, how do you get light to flow "in" a wire?

A wire made out of copper? It's dark inside solid copper. Light isn't flowing in a wire.

If your question is "what is a photon", then that is answered by roughly "when you combine quantum mechanics with electromagnetism, you find that the wavefunction of the electromagnetic field can only behave in certain ways, and any configuration of fields can be written as a sum of photons, which are the elementary building blocks of field configurations". Note: quantum mechanical "quantization" is NOT anywhere near as simple as say, "digital quantization" of a continuous value like in an analog-to-digital converter for audio or video---that is a simple discretization approximation. QM 'quantization' means applying certain requirements to operators in an abstract space which have consequences.

By the way, about the article.

It's a complex quantum optics experiment.

What's the most simple and well known quantum optics device? The maser/laser of course. The original theory was by Einstein. (By the way, this is a case where in Einstein vs Bohr, Bohr was wrong, he didn't believe spontaneous emission was possible). However, the standard simple theory of the laser that you learn about in your undergraduate coursework is only partly quantum mechanical. The atom (in particular the electron) is described with quantum mechanics, but the electromagnetic field is not, it's still mostly Maxwellian classical field.

To really do things right you need to use quantum field theory for the E&M part too, and that basic interaction is the Jaynes-Cummings Hamiltonian, the most simple theoretical model for a laserish thing with QED. There are some strange experimentally observed effects that you get with this that you don't see with the simpler theory. (My knowledge on this is from reading Wikipedia, not expertise)

Anyway, the paper is a theoretical & experimental study of what happens when you combine interacting chains of these systems, plus an interaction with a background environment.

Overall it is a study in the area of combined optical &electronic systems in the full quantum realm, eventually important for quantum computing.
edit on 29-9-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by me earlier in the thread:
I suspect mbkennel would really lap it up. "Ha! Jaynes-Cummings dimer Hamiltonians! Child's play!" It is very esoteric, though.

originally posted by: mbkennel
To really do things right you need to use quantum field theory for the E&M part too, and that basic interaction is the Jaynes-Cummings Hamiltonian...

Told ya. He loves that sorta stuff. Me, I'm a simple engineer.
edit on 2-10-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Found this article from 2014 where scientists constructed an artifical atom made of 100 billin atoms and functions as a single unit.

To me it sounds like they made a light construct, and I wonder what else could they put together with light in a way that it interacts with itself. I am guessing that eventually they may be able to make a sub atomic nanobot. Who knows but this technology is extreamply interesting!

www.iflscience.com...
The researchers constructed what they call an “artificial atom” made of 100 billion atoms engineered to act like a single unit. They then brought this close to a superconducting wire carrying photons. In one of the almost incomprehensible behaviors unique to the quantum world, the atom and the photons became entangled so that properties passed between the “atom” and the photons in the wire. The photons started to behave like atoms, correlating with each other to produce a single oscillating system.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I am wondering if nanrobotic structures can be created with light or better yet sub atomic structures which mimick nanobots.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join