It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United We Stand?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
You know, that phrase creeps me out just a tad. That seems to imply--to me--that there's no room for dissension. It's a bit Big-Brother-esque to me.

I believe that it's better to be divided by truth than united in error. Yes, I am a patriot, but being a patriot should not mean that you blindly follow the leader.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Yeah it's healthy for any free country to have a wide variety of views and strong political parties that can offer people a way of changing things without revolutions. This is what seperates the free world from those without freedom, they may have different views in totalitarian countries but they are too scared to express them and there is no political parties that can do it on their behalf.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Trent]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Well said, Amethyst!

Even better to be United by Truth, but I fear that day is still a way off...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I dont follow "my" President. But I support my country 100%. Even though I dont agree that we have troops in Iraq right now, I will support each and every one of those soldiers NO MATTER what they do. Because they are American Soldiers.

So, I do believe in the term "United We Stand", but that doesnt mean I like or support our current President. I dont think he should be alowed to use that term. His term should read:

"United YOU stand to do my bidding"

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
... Yes, I am a patriot, but being a patriot should not mean that you blindly follow the leader.

True many "patriots" have followed their leader blindly in history: e.g. Waffen SS.

Blobber

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I His term should read:

"United YOU stand to do my bidding"

ROFL!!! That's a good one!

Y'know, I'm a conservative but not a neo-con. I don't even have a flag on my van anymore lest I get mistaken for a neo-con...isn't that sad?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I still run a flag, on my car and my home. Because I am still an American and proud of it. I just wish our current President felt the same way....

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
You know, that phrase creeps me out just a tad.

Unity unsettles you? Togetherness? Don't forget that the second part is 'Divided We Fall', the we being the american states and people. Broken up into small petty interests and associations and they'll be overcome. Together they'll be safe and independant.

It's a bit Big-Brother-esque to me.

Really? I don't get that from it. Bgi Brother implies being watched and nursed by an all powerful government, not a group of people united together.

a patriot should not mean that you blindly follow the leader.

'Patriot' literally means something liek 'for the fatherland' [patria]. A patriot works for the Fatherland/Parentland/Mothercountry/ whatever, not 'The Leader'. It means americans working for each other's common interests, not blindly following someone. United as a front against opression, not divided and petty ad overridden by a 'leader'.

top topics

join