It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Climate March in history on 09/21 in NYC to put pressure on world leaders at UN Climate Summ

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Hello friends,

I hope that this is the right forum, but it makes sense.

Tomorrow here in NYC will be the largest climate march in history to coincide with the UN Climate Summit this month, with projected 10s of thousands of people coming. The goal is to show mass support for rigorous action by national and global leaders to address climate change mitigation and adaptation. We are at the cusp of history now, and future generations will judge what we do now, say, and commit to.

Even if radical global commitments and actions were taken to completely change the nature of human consumption, production, and impact on the environment, climate change is already occurring and the cumulative emissions of mankind over the past several hundred years will continue to impact the climate. However, we CAN change the trajectory or "business as usual" model of production, consumption, and sustainability such that the economic system is "de-coupled" from fossil fuels and society in general reduces its impact on the environment. If we take rigorous action now, and cap the increase in global mean temperatures to 2 degrees centigrade, the negative impacts of climate change on coastal communities, ecological degradation and biodiversity, storm severity, food security, and so on, will be kept to manageable levels.

If we do not, we will reach global mean temperature changes of up to 5-7 degrees centigrade between 2050-2100. This, will not be manageable and will see massive disruptions of entire regions, food systems and agriculture, ecosystems and biodiversity, coastal areas, not to mention increased severity of certain kinds of storms. In short, it will harm everyone as all of these are interconnected with human well-being, economics, livelihoods, and so on. Moreover, the most vulnerable and poor worldwide will be impacted greatest, as many are already living with a thin margin of error.

We can change, but it takes all of us: individuals, local leaders, regional leaders, national leaders, corporations, NGOs, and so on.

Hope to see you there.

peoplesclimate.org...

edit on 20-9-2014 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

I gave you a star just because you needed one.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Think the kids will get out of line at the Apple store long enough to march? LOL

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

Nah. Besides the global warming gets even warmer when people drive or ride to the protest. Then the media drives there to video it all and the temp goes up some more. Then it gets even warmer when the cops all drive there and shoot off teargas. Then all the arrested people have to get rides home from jail and rides back to go to court.

With all that protesting the global climate is sure to spike through the roof.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

and the cumulative emissions of mankind over the past several hundred years

Excuse me?

"several hundred years" ???

Really confused now.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I really, really wanted to go but my son's birthday is tomorrow and he didn't want to spend it protesting which I can understand... he's very aware of climate but as a young teen he hasn't caught the activist bug that I have and I won't force it on him. I'm with you in spirit though and will be watching any live streams as often as I can.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The Industrial Revolution started in the late 1700's.

Many particulates and or emissions have a very long half-life in the atmosphere.

"The lifetime in the air of CO2, the most significant man-made greenhouse gas, is probably the most difficult to determine, because there are several processes that remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Between 65% and 80% of CO2 released into the air dissolves into the ocean over a period of 20–200 years. The rest is removed by slower processes that take up to several hundreds of thousands of years, including chemical weathering and rock formation. This means that once in the atmosphere, carbon dioxide can continue to affect climate for thousands of years."

-www.theguardian.com...

originally posted by: eriktheawful

and the cumulative emissions of mankind over the past several hundred years

Excuse me?

"several hundred years" ???

Really confused now.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I gave you a star just because you needed one.

Well thank you

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I really, really wanted to go but my son's birthday is tomorrow and he didn't want to spend it protesting which I can understand... he's very aware of climate but as a young teen he hasn't caught the activist bug that I have and I won't force it on him. I'm with you in spirit though and will be watching any live streams as often as I can.

I totally get it and family special events take precedence
Happy bday to your son! I hear you about figuring out how to get kids involved. My son is 5 now so a bit young but I've begun thinking about how to get him involved in things when he is older. Any tips?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

Think the kids will get out of line at the Apple store long enough to march? LOL

Haha, true enough, especially for the really young and/or apathetic. This holds true though for all ages I think.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Nah. Besides the global warming gets even warmer when people drive or ride to the protest. Then the media drives there to video it all and the temp goes up some more. Then it gets even warmer when the cops all drive there and shoot off teargas. Then all the arrested people have to get rides home from jail and rides back to go to court.

With all that protesting the global climate is sure to spike through the roof.

Yes, all transportation requires energy.

However, given that historic climate negotiations/meetings are occurring at the UN now and the time is coming for real action, arguably raising awareness and showing mass support for action is worth the energy used tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

Haha, true enough, especially for the really young and/or apathetic. This holds true though for all ages I think.
I heard most of the marchers are millennials. Their perspective on things is pretty naive. It's why they're so easily manipulated to participate in these silly marches. Most of them will have their slave built iPhones in hand. It will be a miracle if they don't trip and fall over one another while taking a selfie.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

I heard most of the marchers are millennials. Their perspective on things is pretty naive. It's why they're so easily manipulated to participate in these silly marches. Most of them will have their slave built iPhones in hand. It will be a miracle if they don't trip and fall over one another while taking a selfie.

That is a fairly judgmental and negative viewpoint. Can you show me the source for that.

And, I am not a millennial. And, quite well educated on the issues. I work in international development. There will be many different organizations and people there, including the UN Secretary General.

Given that this is a very real issue, a march is not silly by any means. Perhaps you could look at your attitude and ask yourself if putting down people showing up in public and advocating for important things is "mature" or a good thing. If more people actually showed their support for important topics or against such things as wars or what have you, we might actually see some real change. But, most sit in their houses and don't do anything, and perhaps rant on ATS or FB. "Armchair philosophers" as my mother used to call them.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

So what are you asking ATS members to do?

Join the organization?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

heard most of the marchers are millennials. Their perspective on things is pretty naive. It's why they're so easily manipulated to participate in these silly marches. Most of them will have their slave built iPhones in hand. It will be a miracle if they don't trip and fall over one another while taking a selfie.

Amazing, isnt it?

Theyll come out in droves for this BS illusion/deception, but they wont march for their own freedom, or against corrupt government, or dispicable foreign policy etc..

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Just conversations, I think about this and other serious issues all the time and talk about them in an age appropriate manner of course. At your sons age, if you're bringing him ( my son has gone to marches and protests with me before, it's best to stay on the outskirts by the way, and watch the cops movements and behaviors and be ready to duck out), it's best to keep it simple... that you want to make sure that the planet is healthy, is true and simple enough.

My son is 15 tomorrow and anything Mom is into can't be cool, I'm sure that will change... it did for me with my mom.

Thanks for the birthday wishes for him.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

It's always a mistake to devalue our youth, they're always the ones who bring about change and always subject to old farts sneers.

The millennials are just fine.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

Climate change can't possibly have anything to do with corrupt governments, right?

Wow, lol.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

It's always a mistake to devalue our youth, they're always the ones who bring about change and always subject to old farts sneers.

see below

edit on 05215Saturdayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

The millennials are just fine.
Yeah we were all "youth" once
Or is that "yutes"?

edit on 05216Saturdayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join