It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student Activists Told to Remove Table from Penn State 'Free Speech Zone'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
By the same token, how does a table inhibit ANY learning?

Rules generally come about for a reason.

I doubt someone, out of the blue said: "Let's not allow tables".

Most likely a group tried to push limits. Just as this group is trying to do now.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

It doesn't. But your post seemed to suggest that removing the table equated to universities not being a place of learning. Perhaps I misunderstood your message...

You should read the OP. These regulations were in place long before this table was set up. So, it's not a matter of someone trying to silence the group by removing their table. They simply didn't have the required permission.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Most likely a group tried to push limits. Just as this group is trying to do now.

The most logical reason, and likely THE reason there is a policy to request and get permission to use a table is control of resources.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The Universities learned from the Student Protests of the 1960s to be more due dilligent when dealing with their "subversives". Free speech zones are apart of that. Think back, entire Universities were being brought to their knees through student organizations protesting the war, and that was back with faculty support.

The scene is School Daze says it best; Dap is in the president's office after protesting apartheid. He's told if he doesn't "stop other students from getting an education" that he will be expelled. There is a previous scene where the Chancellor is telling the President, who at first was okay with Dap's protesting that their philantropists were supporting it and would pull their money out of the school if he didn't do something about it. Probably the realest scene in a Spike Lee Joint.

there it is.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel

originally posted by: Annee

The most logical reason, and likely THE reason there is a policy to request and get permission to use a table is control of resources.

That is a definite possibility.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

This right here.

I have free speech inside my head, even in China.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having free speech if it's limited to a space smaller than what goes on in my head. The whole point of free speech is so you can express your opinion in many different areas.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yes but that's the whole point isn't it. Go ask Galileo, Copernicus and even Einstein. They DID'NT follow they rules. Ask all the inventors in the world. They DID'NT follow the rules, otherwise we would not progress, we would stagnate. Rules are made to try and control one set of people by another set of people and breaking some rules does not lead to anarchy but enlightenment. One must NOT blindly follow rules, ESPECIALLY when learning, one must always question and test to see if these rules are applicable to the society in which we live(that includes university) as they can restrict and stifle any dynamic innovations. But as I said American universities are funded by private investors and in that event MUST toe the investors line.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

No you only have free thought, a very different concept. Now try to voice your thoughts, that's free speech, in China and if it's different from the party line you will learn pdq that the Chinese do not agree with free speech.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join