It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stone Head of Guatemala that History Wants to Forget -

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
If I have ever read about this stone face then I must have forgotten ? I do not believe I have ever seen an actual picture of the carved head which can be found at the below link.... impressive size next to the old automobile.

Over half a century ago, deep in the jungles of Guatemala, a gigantic stone head was uncovered. The face had fine features, thin lips and large nose and its face was directed up at the sky. Unusually, the face demonstrated Caucasian features which were not consistent with any of the pre-Hispanic races of America. The discovery rapidly attracted attention, but just as quickly it slipped away into the pages of forgotten history.

www.ancient-origins.net...

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Deep in the jungles of Guatemala? So remote in fact that car couldn't have driven right up to it, or could it?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Thin lips, straight nose = caucasian? Since when? Those features come from somewhere, guess where?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: spacedog1973

If you are implying that they are ET features, you need to back that up with some details. Our typical LGM (little green men) aliens don't even have lips, mere slits and absolutely no nose either, mere slits. Wanna talk about the differences in the eyes between the LGM and humans? ...No? I didn't think so.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Although the people of Guatemala generally do have flared nostrils and thicker lips than Caucasian, it's by no means all of them.
www.sailing-diving-guatemala.com...
Look at the girl at the top.

Who's to say it's not the head of a tribal leader or other important person that didn't have the usual features? Maybe that, combined with lighter skin, made them stand out to the stone carver.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Its a well known piece of 20th century art it was piece made for the man's wife.

The stone head was created in 1936 as a memorial to the sculptor’s wife, and was reported by the American archaeologist Lee Allen Parsons in an article titled ”A pseudo pre-Columbian colossal stone head on the Pacific coast of Guatemala” published here: In Proceedings of the International Congress of Americanists (41 session, Mexico, 1974). v. 1, pp. 519-521. There is (or was) a dedication plaque to his spouse on it done by the artist.

Who was the source for the outlandish stories about the head?

- good old master 'maker up of stuf'f, David Hatcher Childress

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

Apparently he's not a fraud, the.. er, article says that he's some koynd of Explorer now. I assume he explores the possibility of lying about stuff to make cash.

ETA the "late, great" Coppens is there too. Always a sign of quality.

edit on 18-9-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This stone head is a hoax.

The Mysterious Stone Head of Guatemala: A Case Study in Willful Ignorance and Deception

Last week meditation instructor and ancient astronaut theorist April Holloway posted on Ancient Origins, a fringe history website, an article suggesting that historians and archaeologists are working to suppress the truth about a large stone face allegedly discovered in rural Guatemala in the 1950s. According to Holloway, the stone face had “Caucasian features” and thus implied the presence of a lost white civilization that predates the Maya and the Olmec.

The stone head of Guatemala is a largely apocryphal artifact, something that doesn’t have a firm existence outside fringe literature. The story begins in 1987 when a lawyer named Oscar Rafael Padilla Lara, a well-known ufologist and conspiracy theorist—he’s the author of the Enciclopedia ufológica de Guatemala (1999)—published in what was then the Ancient Astronaut Society newsletter Ancient Skies an article about the stone head. According to his article, the previous year he had received a photograph of a large stone head taken by a Guatemalan landowner who died before revealing the location of the head.

Yes this article is DIRECTLY referencing the article you posted in the OP. Here is a quote from American archaeologist Lee A. Parson's about the head (from the article).

"Whatever the inspiration, its very existence could confound future archaeologists and lead to unwarranted explanations of transpacific contact or even mysterious Pre-Columbian megalithic complexes. Anticipating such interpretations, I have titled this paper a ‘pseudo’ Pre-Columbian colossal stone head, actually there was no intention whatsoever to defraud, but through the years the sculpture has become increasingly difficult to identify. Therefore, it is here recorded that the Las Victorias stone head is recent, having been carved in 1936. Further it has no meaningful relationship to any American Indian, living or dead. I regret that I am unable to supply the name of the Guatemalan for whom the monument is a true modern memorial."

Read the whole article for a detailed synopsis of this hoax.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
As Hansule said it's a modern creation. www.jasoncolavito.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
There are genuine stone heads, but they are very different in appearance from the picture:

upload.wikimedia.org...

upload.wikimedia.org...

top topics

join