It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Marijuana More Addictive Than Alcohol?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I hear you, and understand that.

I think the problem is, is that it has received so much negativity, for being viewed as a part of some major criminal element. Which is why a lot people are supporting the habit now due to the benefits it could bring.

Yes it is the normal pendulum swing called backlash. Push too far in one direction then when it is time for the pendulum to swing back it swings back WAY far in the other direction. Society evolves and changes based on this system (which is frankly stupid because the society always ends up fixing its mistakes by making new mistakes).

I personally wouldn't want it legalized, just more or less decriminalized with a minimal penalty for certain circumstances. Unlike being sent to jail for a few months over a roach, where I live, they more or less would give you a ticket for smoking it. The only way you could get in trouble is by trafficking, which ether over a certain limit on person, like 2 grams, or if its in dimebags.

What's wrong with legalization and regulation? Isn't that safer? It frees up police to do more important things than write a ticket for a gram of weed (which is what decriminalization entails).

And as long as it stay out of schools.

It is a lesser evil that I'd rather put up with.

They keep cigarettes and alcohol (for the most part) out of schools. I see nothing different with marijuana. It's also tougher to hide marijuana because of its pungency, even when it isn't being currently smoked.
edit on 17-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant

originally posted by: GoShredAK
I just feel bad for Bob Marley, Idiots and way less respectable people have been using his name in their moronic stereotypes for too long.

yeah, lets feel bad for bob marley. not all the people that are labeled as druggies and criminals cause they use mj for whatever reason.
much more sad about bob marley

Dude! I feel really bad for them too! Trust me! I get sick with anger when I am contemplating the utter fail "drug war", and it's many victims.

Cool av btw, Buckethead is awesome.

edit on 17-9-2014 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

It beggers belief that many of us can get controlled drugs from doctors, buy alcohol from most shops, but the one drug that seems to have far more advantages than disadvantages is banned and almost impossible to get from doctors.

As far as addiction is concerned, having witnessed alcoholism and its close relative problem drinking, many times over the course of my life, along with knowing many long term smokers, i wonder why this debate needs to happen. The evidence is easily available, the governments must know the real facts.

so rather than question if the addiction levels are comparable, should we not be asking why we as people are allowing these choices to be made for us, by those with a hidden agenda?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

it does still grow in the dirt right?

So do potatoes.
And we make vodka with that. So what's your point?

point is that it does not cost a lot of you dont buy it.
you can probably figure out the rest

i know people make alcohol too. instead of maker mark they get some ole grand dad reject. probably the same principal with using the dirt unless you invest a lot of time and money.
to get some ole grand dad level stuff though, all you need is some dirt

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

thanks man..

legalization-regulation-taxation

i think a lot of people are against legalization because when they hear that they think that people will suddenly be walking the street toking up.
thats where regulation comes on.

think the same rules(basically) as alcohol.
not word for word but its a pretty good idea

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

it does still grow in the dirt right?

So do potatoes.
And we make vodka with that. So what's your point?

point is that it does not cost a lot of you dont buy it.
you can probably figure out the rest

i know people make alcohol too. instead of maker mark they get some ole grand dad reject. probably the same principal with using the dirt unless you invest a lot of time and money.
to get some ole grand dad level stuff though, all you need is some dirt

Sure you can grow it, just don't get caught. Most people are not willing to take that risk.
Make it legal. The cost goes way down. That's when you will see the effects of heavy long term use. Until then you are just guessing.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Two things...Taxes and being over priced. If the North American governments were smart, they would of done this decades ago and made it a major billion dollar industry like alcohol is.

They keep cigarettes and alcohol (for the most part) out of schools. I see nothing different with marijuana. It's also tougher to hide marijuana because of its pungency, even when it isn't being currently smoked.

Well there's college...

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

Or better yet, look at Amsterdam and Portugal for an example of how it works.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Specimen

Of course. The government can get SO much money from taxing this with vice taxes like they do with cigarettes and alcohol.

Also, what about college? Students in college are usually of age and most turn 21 before they graduate. Besides not even dry campuses can keep alcohol off the premises. I think when people talk about keeping marijuana out of schools, they are referring to grade school. Keeping it out of college is an effort in futility (not to mention dumb).

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

To be honest I would be absolutely thrilled if people started toking up all around. Sounds like a step closer to paradise...

I hoping that the regulations aren't too strict ya know? Certainly some regulation required, but our society seems to get over regulatory sometimes.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Sure you can grow it, just don't get caught. Most people are not willing to take that risk.
Make it legal. The cost goes way down. That's when you will see the effects of heavy long term use. Until then you are just guessing.

i think i am pretty solid on the long terms effects. even if i am guessing and/or way off i get back to the ....so?
my problem, not yours or anyone elses.
let me guess. you are against use and/or legalization and you disguise your reasons by saying you care about peoples health? am i correct?

i know cost will go down if it is legalized. thats yet another of the thousand reasons why i think it should be legalized.
i know a lot of people are not willing to take the risk but many people are willing. many people do.
sad part is it should not be a risk at all.

i would suggest people go to norml and look up their state laws. a lot of states have decriminalized to a degree.
i was pleasantly surprised when i saw the laws and what/how much i actually allowed to have due to this decriminalization.

im not going to link it here an i dont know all states but i would say it is worth a look.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

To be honest I would be absolutely thrilled if people started toking up all around. Sounds like a step closer to paradise...

I hoping that the regulations aren't too strict ya know? Certainly some regulation required, but our society seems to get over regulatory sometimes.

i think megan fox tweeted something to that effect.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

thats why the laws for alcohol use would make a good template or first draft.

im thinking something like this

cant drive while smoking
cant buy/sell with in xxxxxxx feet of a school
cant walk the street hitting a joint

pretty simple, common sense stuff really

i think even if it is legal businesses should be able to decide for themselves if they want employees that use.
ive thought about it a lot cause before i got hurt i worked in a foundry and that environment is crazy.
so if the foundry wanted a 'drug free' workplace then i guess even if it is legal you have to be an adult an decide if you want to work there....
use pot and work somewhere else or dont use and work there...

thats just an example off the top of my head. some people think that if it gets legalized there will be anarchy in the streets. i think the small steps that certain states have taken in the last year even should prove otherwise.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

i think i am pretty solid on the long terms effects. even if i am guessing and/or way off i get back to the ....so?
let me guess. you are against use and/or legalization and you disguise your reasons by saying you care about peoples health? am i correct?

i know cost will go down if it is legalized. thats yet another of the thousand reasons why i think it should be legalized.
i know a lot of people are not willing to take the risk but many people are willing. many people do.

i would suggest people go to norml and look up their state laws. a lot of states have decriminalized to a degree.
i was pleasantly surprised when i saw the laws and what/how much i actually allowed to have due to this decriminalization.

im not going to link it here an i dont know all states but i would say it is worth a look.

Actually I think all drugs should be legalized for 21 and older. Just like alcohol.
Government funded rehab would be cheaper than the war on drugs.
But I also think this is not about safe painkillers. It's about people wanting to get stoned. I say go for it but don't hide behind healthy alternatives as the reason.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Actually I think all drugs should be legalized for 21 and older. Just like alcohol.
Government funded rehab would be cheaper than the war on drugs.
But I also think this is not about safe painkillers. It's about people wanting to get stoned. I say go for it but don't hide behind healthy alternatives as the reason.

you dont have to use drugs to be willing to kill someone over business. and raising the legal age wont do crap, as we can observe in the matter of underage drinking and smoking. 21 today is just the age at which we can legally do everything we have been doing since we were 14. there are drugs which are literally nothing more than slow motion suicide, and they can turn the user into a timebomb endangering all passersby as well.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

i think the reasons people use makes little difference.. personally anyway

if john wants to smoke cause it relieves his pain then he should be able to
if john wants to smoke cause it relieves his stress then he should be able to
if john wants to smoke cause he gets stoned and he loves to be stoned then he should be able to

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Here's the state by state breakdown along with the laws governing it:
Legality of cannabis by U.S. state

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

take all alcohol laws and apply them to marijuana. sounds like the most effective and practical course to me.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Yep, if it works for alcohol, it'll work for marijuana.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

good point.

we have all heard people swear up and down that mj is a gateway drug.
first off, i think thats a load.
second, if there is in fact a gateway drug then the real one is alcohol and cigarettes. positive about that.

how many kids you think between the ages of 7-13 snuck a drink from their parents? how many snuck a cigarette?
how many snuck a joint?

how many kids parents had liquor cabs? beer in the fridge all the time? wine with dinner? few beers after work?
how many kids were asked by their parents to 'get me another beer'
how many of those kids would sneak sips of the new beer or the leftover piss at the bottom? how may of those kids would help clear the table and suck down the last few sips of wine?
how many kids took cigarettes out of their parents pack? how many would take the largest butts out of the ash tray?

i know i did those things when i was a kid. i also know i had tried alcohol and tobacco long before i tried mj.

just saying

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join