It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Horrifying Technolgies that shouldn't ever exist...coming soon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: grumpy64
Here is one thing they are up to!
m.huffpost.com...
But we know they are doing far more ominous things than this behind closed doors

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
9. Virtual Prisons and Punishment

Sufi sources acknowledge the possibility of of time compression. It
has some value for education.

There is a story of a certain Caliph who questioned a Sufi master about
mysteries.
When invited, he had the Caliph dip his face into a basin of water. The Caliph
found himself involved in a long saga involving shipwreck, stranding in a
distant land,marriage, and various narrow escapes. It lasted some 9 "years".
When he lifted his head out of the basin he was back where he left off.
When he attempted to lay hold of the Sufi to punish him, he vanished.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Thebel

See I would think that if the multiverse theory were correct, then we could potentially hop from one timeline to the next. The grandfather theory wouldn't exist because all possibilities would happen somewhere. Maybe the word "time travel" just comes down to semantics. Instead we really just mean timeline travel or endless possibilty travel. I'm not sure I understand why you say one world would decay before we could go back or visit. Why?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
As far as time travel goes, there are multiple things at work that we do not fully understand...multiverses, simulation theories...ect, that really prohibit a proper discussion at this time.

Intelligent machines...I think it's funny how amazing we think we are, we can program a computer to do calculations faster than a human brain and we can give it a basic difference engine, that's really it. For humanity to think that we are able to create a machine that is more "intelligent" than ourselves is a joke. Now if the universes ability to create intelligence from non intelligent mediums is strong enough, it may take over and make machines that feel...but "we" will never be able to do it just because we program it that way.

The most interesting thing in that list by far is being able to manipulate the mind to experience 1000 years in 8 hours. It's not interesting in that I want to punish someone for 1000 years and be able to make it home for dinner at 7pm...that would be a stupid use of the technology. How about you get a 4 year college education in 3 hours? how about you learn to speak mandarin at a virtual university that seems to last one year, but only takes up your lunch break?

If that ever comes to be, THAT will be the next evolution of our species..it would be a technological religion, with gurus spending 10's of thousands of years learning all there is to learn and coming back with their ideas on what would be next. How about 100 of those type of people simming together for what would seem to be 50,000 years and it only taking 6 months? think of the world they would be able to build...virtually and then bring that information back to the real world. Obviously it would bring up the "Inception" question about knowing which world was real...but a periodic trip back to reality say every hour to bring you back to the ground floor before spending another 20 years in the simulation would be an idea.

Now THAT is an idea that may hold the future of our species...not creating a virtual hell where you get torn apart over and over again for 1,000 years. That just being an idea shows how primitive we are.
edit on 17-9-2014 by Nowyouseeme because: spelling

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Nowyouseeme

I agree about that topic being the most interesting on the list. My husband mentioned that topic specifically, and that's when I read the article.

My biggest question with being able to spend years in your mind and only hours on earth would be health. I know that if you believe you are sick, you actually become sicker. If you believed you were aging and years were passing by, would your body respond to those thoughts? Even if your body only got the signals for a few hours, wouldn't the mind be so powerful that it actually speeds up aging? Would you die faster?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Thurisaz
I definitely think we will see contact lenses of the sort soon. I'm all for helping blind people see and what not, but of course everything intended for good purposes has the threat to be used for harm.

I also don't doubt that very soon we will have devises that monitor "health"...or should I say the perpetual sickness that pharmaceuticals bestow upon us.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum
a reply to: fictitious

Machines will never be more then clever automatons.

See I have to disagree here. Are we, humans, not just a machine? Someone's/something's creation? Sentient, self healing, growing, machines?

So who is to say we cannot become the creator of the same?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Because we don't even understand ourselves. Like I said, we are the harbingers of death. There are always steps in life we have to take before we take a leap. Humanity (as a whole) has never made any attempt to stifle the festering crutch that is our nature. The only thoughts it has is to either live in ignorance or fight for an insatiable desire. We are inevitably inept at living and therefore, not able to create life.

And we are creators, creators of so many things you can see all over the world. I also agree our bodies are incredible bio-mechanical masterpieces. I don't refute any of that. But to give life is outside the scope of creation. Not ONLY that, but it's a responsibility that frankly we don't have the fortitude as a species to uphold. Look at our own children... Look at social media... Look at all the wars...

Maybe the question is not: "Can we create life?" but "Should we create life?"
Even still, we will not, no matter how hard we try.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
All one needs to do to realize the OP's 10 possibilities is to apply the "Infinite Monkey Theorem" to the tasks.

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the term it is described as follows:

"The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare".

If we apply the foregoing theory to these problems then it also follows that eventually each of the possibilities will come to pass.

Scary but most likely true.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
interesting point. I do think that any brand of "intranaut" who would be chosen for this type of work would have to go through a massive desensitization process beforehand. They would have to understand and be reminded constantly that they are in a simulation. I'm not talking about a matrix jumping off a building thing or a totem like in inception, but it would require a mind trained so well that it always knew the difference between a simulation and reality. Again, they would probably need to be brought back to reality for a week or two to report every 5 years they were in the sim anyway. I think you'd just have to make sure whoever was doing the sim always understood they are in a sim. When I play a video game on the xbox, like borderlands, and time passes in the game...I don't expect the characters to age, or go the bathroom, or sleep because I understand it's not real. Whoever does this would have to have that understanding about themselves in the simulation.

If someone could sim 5 years in their head in a few hours, and then took 2 weeks off back in reality to update us all...they could simulate 130 years a year! Imagine doing that as a job for 30 years....you could on something like interstellar drives or theoretical physics and do 50 lifetimes of work. Imagine what Einstein could have done if he had 50 lifetimes to work.

Sure, you'd come back with technological ideas that would take 100's of years to actually build and implement, but our species would evolve 10's of thousands of years in a fraction of that time.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

Almost anything we can imagine can come in to fruition

One time I told my father "anything is possible if you can think it you can do it"

To that he replied oh bull shyt you cant walk to the moon no matter how much you think about it.

That kind of killed my anything is possible days.

you can so walk to the moon. You just need a long enough path. And thats where technology comes in.

Now swimming to the moon, that you can't do.

Unless that path you mentionned is a tube or tunnel filled with water....you'd need a humongus amount of energy and stamina but still

So maybe its true that nothing is impossible....just not possible today maybe......

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
It's like reading my shopping list for world domination.
Just missing the Robotic Monkey Assassin Squad.

Well somebody has to wash that kitty cat!

Seriously, your avatar always makes me smile

Back on topic.. am I the only one who remembers the Terminator movies? Am I the only one who thinks BAD IDEA!!!???

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Almost anything we can imagine can come in to fruition

One time I told my father "anything is possible if you can think it you can do it"

To that he replied oh bull shyt you cant walk to the moon no matter how much you think about it.

I'm sure plenty of people also said that you couldn't fly to the moon, or fly at all for that matter! In fact people used to say you'd die trying to ride in a car or go over 40 mph, because you'd be unable to breathe. Think of all the things we can do today that seemed ludicrous just 20 or 30 years ago. Browsing the internet and uploading photos on your mobile phone??? What the hell is the internet and why are you taking pictures with your phone? You can't walk to the moon? Not yet!!! The question is, would you someday want to and why?

Your father doesn't seem to have much of an imagination. We set our own limits. Anything IS possible, but often it's hard to imagine how to bring it about.
edit on 18-9-2014 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Another one for your list, and probably already in development if they don't exist already. Ethno Specific Bioweapons. Biological weapons that target specific races of people without harming anyone else. Sleep well.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
But Michael Jackson already gave us the moonwalk in the 80's

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

We do not understand ourselves, because something(one) wishes it that way for now.

Once we those shackles are forcibly removed you will get to see what Creation and Destruction is REALLY ALL ABOUT!!

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Well, One bit of technology I don't like is small potatoes I guess as far as some people see it but here goes...the Z-RO or Retinal Obfuscation Gun that LEO and military can use on us for crowd control and more. It can blind folks for up to 20 minutes so they can be detained or neutralized or whatever. They say it is temporary and harmless but they said the same about the taser and yet there have been like 500 deaths or so from that weapon. It is supposed to be non-lethal but as with any device it may be a matter of degrees and how far the dial gets turned up, who knows. Einstein was right, "Mans technology has far exceeded his humanity".

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Actually if you want to take that literally, they could put a one man hamster wheel in a current technology space craft and... ta da walk to the moon (Alice!!!) lol

Lil

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
They forgot the top 10 from the past 10 years (in no particular order)

1. 3D Cinema

2. Bing

3. The teletubbies

4. Pay day loans

5. Online Bingo

6. The wellfare state

7. The Ebola...oops

8. Facebook

9. Botox

10. Media controlled by the government - but that's an oldie by today's standards

as always, watch the void.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I disagree about these technologies being pure evil. Like most things having to do with weapons it's all in how you apply it.

Nano technology could create new mechanical viruses but it can also repair our cells, destroy tumors, and all sorts of other useful applications.

Robots that become self aware are no longer slaves, but rather our children. Maybe we would have to redefine labor but is humanity creating a new species in our image such a bad thing? For many people, the last being to do that is deified.

With Brain Hacking devices to continue the GITS theme, there were people that got hacked but there were just as many people who used their cyber brains to enhance themselves. For every case of a hacker hacking someones eyes, or forcing them into compliance another case was provided where people could read far more information, or have telepathic networks to discuss ideas, or even develop souls in machines. Brain hacking represents the way a technology can be exploited, it's not the technology itself.

And one more before I have to goto bed since I'm quite tired... Virtual Prisons. This is actually the most important technology created since the internet. Such a thing actually makes us all effectively immortal. A lifetime of experience and knowledge could be gained from just an hour inside. Stay in for a day and that's 24 lifetimes... 2400 years, but without the debilitating effects of age. Include network capability so that we can work together, and a good physics simulator and there would no longer be a point to the real world other than to supply electricity, shelter, food, and these machines. Look at how far we have come in 200 years. Now imagine if each of us alive today who wished to could gain 2 millenniums worth of study, theory, and experience... and then still make it to the lab the next day. This is the sort of technology that would be so revolutionary that I see no point in mentioning further applications. One day after it's created we would have time tested political, economic, and philosophical systems far beyond anything we have today. Knowledge of math and science would make the previous day appear to be the dark ages. Lives would end not because of sickness, disease, and age but rather because a person had such a full life there was nothing left for them to do.

That doesn't mean you can't do it. It only means you haven't discovered how. Once you get into theoretical physics everything becomes possible.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join