It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Send 3,000 troops to Tackle Ebola

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SirKonstantin
a reply to: soficrow

Just great. Lets send people over that can get infected and bring it back....just freakin great.

O get real.

The outbreak is out of control.

Better to fight in in west Africa than wait until its in our own borders!

This is the correct action, along with the UK and France doing the same. I hope Germany joins in too.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I would have thought 3000 health care proffesionals would make a much more positive contribution to stopping the spread of Ebola than sending in troops-or will they be 3000 army medics?

What exactly will their role be? Enforcing quarantine? Like you said,that won't work.

The people in the affected areas need medical help,not people with guns IMO.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: kalunom
If you can't fight terrorism, fight epidemics.

I guess.

Really, sending 3,000 troops there (can you imagine being one of those 3,000?) is a really bad idea, in my opinion. No, thank you, Mr. President.

so you would you do ? sit at home with your head buried in the sand waiting for it to hit a USA city? Great plan.

One does not have to be human, brown and holding a AK47 to be a threat to national security.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: soficrow
Are you actually suggesting the Napalm Solution?!?

Um .. no. I just said that I wasn't sure about sending 3,000 people INTO an infected area. I'd think taking healthy people out and removing the potential hosts would make more sense to me. I also said 'I DO NOT KNOW' because I"m not a medical person. No where did I say anything about napalm or carpet bombing.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

I would have thought 3000 health care proffesionals would make a much more positive contribution to stopping the spread of Ebola than sending in troops-or will they be 3000 army medics?

What exactly will their role be? Enforcing quarantine? Like you said,that won't work.

The people in the affected areas need medical help,not people with guns IMO.

Likley a mix of army medics, doctors and troops trained in biological warfare.

Navy Doc would likely be the best source of info on this.

They will likely set up field hospitals and the support troop helping in tracking down new cases, giving out aid in quarantined areas and help training the local troops.

I know the UK and France are setting up military field hospitals.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

What exactly will their role be?

Key info contained in posts, quotes. links above. Must actually be read to be apprehended.

Happy to discuss after you've done a bit of homework.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: soficrow
Are you actually suggesting the Napalm Solution?!?

Um .. no. I just said that I wasn't sure about sending 3,000 people INTO an infected area. I'd think taking healthy people out and removing the potential hosts would make more sense to me. I also said 'I DO NOT KNOW' because I"m not a medical person. No where did I say anything about napalm or carpet bombing.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Removing hundreds of thousands would be a logistical nightmare and almost impossible to stop infected ones from finding a way to break through with the healthy ones.

These 3000 are not going to be dumb GI grunts out of basic with IQ of less than 100 we are likely talking very specially trained units who have spent years or decades in handling dangerous biological and chemical situations. They will have the very lasted in equipment too.
edit on 16-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The people there do not trust us now, sending armed soldiers over there is not going to improve that trust. The real sick will be attacking the soldiers to try to protect their people, this will lead to shooting of the sick and will make us look worse.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

The people there do not trust us now, sending armed soldiers over there is not going to improve that trust. The real sick will be attacking the soldiers to try to protect their people, this will lead to shooting of the sick and will make us look worse.

This not a PR stunt.

I dont care if the USA or my own UK comes out looking like Satan himself.

Priority is to stop the epidemic.

Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

If crowds get out of control? Well a heavy hand may be needed.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

...taking healthy people out and removing the potential hosts would make more sense to me. ...No where did I say anything about napalm or carpet bombing.

I know - just trying to get you and others to think through those devilish details. ...Like how are you going to relocate 10's of millions of uninfected people, fast enough, far enough - and where to?

...Then there's the fact that Ebola is an animal-borne disease - Africa's jungles and savannahs are full of hosts, reservoirs and potential carriers. How might they be dealt with besides napalm and carpet bombing?

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Screw that!!!! Not one single American should be forced to go fight Ebola! This should have and could have been contained months ago! Let Africa deal with it! Not one western country should be sending more people there to die. We can send them all the supplies they need but that's it. We should be accepting NO ONE who is infected with this to the USA! Our borders should be locked down and every single int'l flight should be highly scrutinized. Enough is enough , if doctors and nurses wanna go fight this they should understand its a one way ticket. We all have our own families to look out for and being a parent there is NO human being on this earth I would die for except my two children and wife THAT'S IT! Certainly not any Africans! The doctors without borders are highly irresponsible and frankly it pisses me off they think they have a right to come back here after making a decision to go help Africans and put us all in danger!

People this is NO JOKE! Americas healthcare system can barely function as it is! Can you imagine a nation wide Ebola outbreak in the middle of winter ? What about a combine terrorist attack or major natural disaster. Let me remind you we are broke financially as a country and one major event away from a full scale economic collapse. But once again evil America is supposed to go out and save the world! WTF? These American troops better be F'ing paid well and their families taken care of should anything happen to them.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Yes. And the most important role to be played by the US Military is coordination. Also, incomplete list in the source article:

The World Health Organization has said it needs foreign medical teams with 500-600 experts as well as at least 10,000 local health workers, numbers that may rise if the number of cases increases, as it is widely expected to.

So far Cuba and China have said they will send medical staff to Sierra Leone. Cuba will deploy 165 people in October while China is sending a mobile laboratory with 59 staff to speed up testing for the disease. It already has 115 staff and a Chinese-funded hospital there.

But Liberia is where the disease appears to be running amok. The WHO has not issued any estimate of cases or deaths in the country since Sept 5 and its Director-General Margaret Chan has said there is not a single bed available for Ebola patients there.

Liberia, a nation founded by descendants of freed American slaves, appealed for U.S. help last week.

edit on 16/9/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 16/9/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: rickymouse

This not a PR stunt.

I dont care if the USA or my own UK comes out looking like Satan himself.

Priority is to stop the epidemic.

Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

If crowds get out of control? Well a heavy hand may be needed.

Each one of these soldiers is a potential threat if they come back and can symbiotically carry the disease. Maybe only one in five thousand will have this ability, look what happened in Haiti with the Spanish soldiers. The three thousand will be rotated. It would seem to me that limiting exposure of outsiders to this disease would be smart, not increasing the exposure.

The smart soldiers won't want to go there, the ones who think they are too strong to be effected will go. These people take more chances. The ones that have been there a long time with experience would not be sent, they have enough pull to stay out of it. Most would be the new soldiers.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Are they going to wrestle Ebola to the ground and then water board it until it gives up?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You should know that fortresses do not keep out diseases.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroReady
He should have started with spec ops troops on the ground to gather intel on ebola, followed by targeted airstrikes against its infrastructure. A psy-Ops campaign could then be used to weaken support for ebola, and finally an amphibious Marine assault on the fortified ebola palace, with hovercraft.

If we don't stop ebola now, it'll be in our cities, our schools, and our churches.

Don't forget drones to identify, target and destroy suspected splinter cells of ebola and their young.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It is sad in a way...

When US troops are sent to help there is a massive big uproar from certain people... However, when people from other countries are sent hardly a word is said?

Look at what médecines sans frontières (France) have been trying to do for cripes knows how long...

Sad.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
So illogical.

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Screw that!!!! Not one single American should be forced to go fight Ebola!

You join the US armed forces to defend the nations security.

Dont like it don't join up.

This should have and could have been contained months ago!

And it wasnt. Now its at a point were its a direct threat to AMERICANS and USA national security.

Let Africa deal with it! Not one western country should be sending more people there to die. We can send them all the supplies they need but that's it.

As stated above they coudlnt handle it and let it get out of control so its counter productive now the situations magnitudes worse to tell them to handle it as obviously they have shown that they cant.

We should be accepting NO ONE who is infected with this to the USA! Our borders should be locked down and every single int'l flight should be highly scrutinized. Enough is enough ,

I agree flights out of west Africa should be stopped. BUT it will only slow down the spread. Your borders cant "just be locked down" it would cost billions and take time and even then no method is going to be perfect. Unless you want to spend trillions of a 100ft concrete wall across Mexico and Canada? (witch would take years to build anyway) and stop all intentional travel, grounding the US economy to a dead stop?

if doctors and nurses wanna go fight this they should understand its a one way ticket. We all have our own families to look out for and being a parent there is NO human being on this earth I would die for except my two children and wife THAT'S IT! Certainly not any Africans!

They are fighting this virus over there SO THEY DONT HAVE TOI FIGHT IT BACK AT HOME IN YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD.

The doctors without borders are highly irresponsible and frankly it pisses me off they think they have a right to come back here after making a decision to go help Africans and put us all in danger!

WOW those hero that volunteer are better men and woman than you or even me will ever be.

I guess a hero in your eyes is only someone with a gun that shoots Arabs.

People this is NO JOKE!

No its not hence why the USA, UK and France are sending our forces over there.

Americas healthcare system can barely function as it is!

YEAH!
Hence why its better we fight the bug in West Africa and not let it get a beachhead in the USA!

Way to go countering your own point hahaha

Can you imagine a nation wide Ebola outbreak in the middle of winter ?

Again see above.

Better to fight it abroad than in the USA.

What about a combine terrorist attack or major natural disaster. Let me remind you we are broke financially as a country and one major event away from a full scale economic collapse.

Yup again way to prove my point that its better to beat it in Africa BEFORE it reaches the west!

Better to spend a billion or two now than lose a trillion if Ebola reaches the west.

But once again evil America is supposed to go out and save the world! WTF? These American troops better be F'ing paid well and their families taken care of should anything happen to them.

France and UK are also joining and contributing according to the size of there military. USA has the biggest military in the world ten times bigger than the UK and France. So its going to contribute more and be called on. Dont like it?
Well cut you defence budget to the point the USA have a DEFENCE force not a global empire force. If your going have a empire then deal with it.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Greetings and Salutations-

Who better to combat this than the owners of the patent? (patent # ca2741523a1) Just another excuse to $teal Your $$$. War? Someone else's kid will fight it. Disease they "may" have created? Someone else's kid will fight it..

Do You get it yet?

WAKE UP! This is Your conscious typing, don't fret because nobody else can read this. (look at the word "wake" at the beginning, (above) see it wiggling?

Om Bava ShaviYay Om

namaste

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Who needs Doctors when you can flashbang a virus?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join