It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if all religions were debunked...?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Hi folks...

This thought has been niggling me for quite a while now, so finally I have decided to put fingers to keyboard and ask the question which will shortly follow.

The question which will follow is asked to believers (of any faith) and non believers too and I would REALLY appreciate that we can keep this debate intelligent and polite without any snarky/snide remarks, personal attacks, copy paste extracts from bible/equivalent and one liner TROLL responses please? (Chance would be a fine thing???)

Religion (no matter which religion it may be has always played a part in many aspects of our every day lives)...

HOWEVER :

JUST IMAGINE... that one day someone opens up a secret vault (anywhere in the world) and comes across 500 percent or even more PROOF and I mean REAL PROOF in whatever form it may be (please don't play with words or twist my post around to suit your needs and beliefs) that everything that was ever written in the bible/equivalent) or any other type of religious manuscript was TOTALLY FALSE...

How would you react according to your education and personal beliefs?

I ASK FOR AN INTELLIGENT DEBATE HERE AND NO SLAGGING OFF BETWEEN EACH OTHER IF POSSIBLE...

Thanks for your pertinent comments

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 16/9/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

that info probably exists in the Vatican library...

Wouldn't change the existence of God to those who have had their experience(s)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Then the believers would say that Satan put the proof there.
There is no convincing people of faith that religion is an entirely man made construct.
There would be no proof great enough to convince them.

But all that aside, I would love for it to happen.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
As stated above that evidence may indeed be there. Religion is too great an instrument of oppression for that type of evidence to be allowed to exist as common knowledge. If people want to believe that their is someone else who controls their experiences and that they have no control over what happens in their existence then that is their choice. All power to them, their beliefs can't and don't affect me.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
hello, non religious response here: whatever the body of information found the process that would happen is it would have to continually be vetted by ongoing scrutiny of authenticity.. fact is that any overwhelming accepted "fact" in our human terms is that which continues to gather the most overwhelming human consensus and agreement to what ever idea it is, for example : the world is a sphere.

edit on 16-9-2014 by creation7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I would be very excited to see that.

But what would REALLY happen:

Religious people+proof they're wrong=Massive Schizophrenia+demonisation of finders/findings

Religions have prepared titles for who dare to say otherwise: pagan, pork, kafir, Suppressive Person and so on.
Once you've been categorised as so your words mean nothing. It's like a failsafe against common sence.
edit on 2014 9 16 by LoveSolMoonDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
They have. Here is a guy named Santos Bonnacci who basically proves that all the ancient holy books come from the stars and planets and the effect they have on the Earth, and human consciousness cycles.

The Jesus portrayed in the bible is no more than a symbol for the Sun. His 12 disciples are the 12 constellations in the sky. The four books of the new testament are symbols for the four seasons of the earth. And the connections he makes are endless. It is a study called astro theology.

The problem is people are too afraid to confront there own beliefs and won't even consider reading something that they are told is "from the devil"

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Then I'd say we'd be in pretty deep trouble, because the only counterweight to Science (which is literally destroying humanity and our planet on a far greater scale [and at a much faster rate] than any other religion ever did) would be gone. They'd be free to take the poisoning of our air and water to the next level with little moral objection, irradiating the planet to fuel wars of consumption all the while. They'd have to deal with far less opposition to the genetic manipulation of not only what we eat, but what we ourselves are. Transhumanism running amok. All in the name of Science, the new religion you'll never say is one.

"There are no natural cows", remember? Those people will be running the show, more spiteful and arrogant than ever, which I don't find preferable at all.

I think that might be the last nail in the coffin for the human race. Do you see where positivism is already leading us? Open the flood gates and watch the planet drown in materialism and covetousness.

edit on 9/16/14 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
A Star Trek like society, would start to emerge.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I agree in part. I am not a believer. I don't think a person should be persecuted based on their religious beliefs. This is and always has been one of my favourite topics for debate.

On one hand I think it should not be entirely proven to be wrong, I think it plays an important part in society. There are people (that I know) that have taken great strength from faith and this has pulled them through some of the worst experiences of their lives. I think also that the majority of christians are good, honest members of the community.Religion brings together communities, members of congregations help each other out. I believe, that if religion was proven to be some elaborate hoax that people would fear the consequences of their actions less in some religious circles.

On the other, if god was proven to be non-existent , I would hope it would put an end to racial hatred, which in the most part, I believe does not stem from skin colour but to the beliefs stereotypically attached certain skin colours. Many wars start with religion. Many wars begin with a groups beliefs. The violent retaliations stemming from 9/11, for example, are ongoing, 13 years on. The religious extremist attacks might subside but would that not lead the way for non religious extremists?

Its a great question, I could go on and not but wouldn't want to bore anyone

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
If that were to happen then life would lose all purpose and meaning for many. If we are not here for something other than mere existence then life itself becomes pointless.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

I'm not sure how he came to the conclusion That Jesus Is the sun. just because two words sound similar in English that does not mean that they some similaR in different languages, such as the original language of the new testament.

The12 disciples has absolutely nothing to do with the 12 zodiac signs. there was a fisherman yes does that have a connection to Pisces? what about the other disciples how come they have absolutely nothing to do with the other zodiac signs?

this is just a theory in order to discredit the message of Jesus Christ.

Therefore Jesus Christ is still not debunked.
edit on 16-9-2014 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: demondonna

Demon... NOT BORING whatsoever... Great and well thought out response, please continue?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Absolutely! I think people need hope. That's what it comes down to.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Thank you! That's very kind!

I find the whole subject fascinating as I do all sociological issues.

Please bear with me as I have a busy morning but I'll be back in a little while.

Thanks again

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   

I think that if there were a massive global visitation by life forms from other planets; many Religions and their followers would be in a state of shock and disbelief; I think many, many people would probably lose their minds and could not handle the truth that their religion was a based on a bunch of lies.

I think most Religions were created by men to control the masses.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea

I think that if there were a massive global visitation by life forms from other planets; many Religions and their followers would be in a state of shock and disbelief; I think many, many people would probably lose their minds and could not handle the truth that their religion was a based on a bunch of lies.

I think most Religions were created by men to control the masses.

Hiya Cal...

Great response on a personal level (bt for the moment I am pushing to one side "extra-planetory" life forms... For the moment of course...

Is it possible if you have time to elaborate on the latter part of your post... VERY INTERESTING IN MY EYES... :

Sorry for quoting you here but an interesting point of view :

"I think many, many people would probably lose their minds and could not handle the truth that their religion was a based on a bunch of lies.

I think most Religions were created by men to control the masses"

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
There is an old saying, "to the believer no proof is necessary, to the skeptic no proof is enough". It means, people will believe whatever they wish to believe.

Atheism and religion are both beliefs and people hold on to their beliefs despite whatever evidence the other side brings forth.

Psychology studies of cults have proven that proof positive simply strengthens their devotion. Example, apocalypse cults predict the end of the world which doesnt happen, and believers simply say their positive thoughts prevented it.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ridhya
There is an old saying, "to the believer no proof is necessary, to the skeptic no proof is enough". It means, people will believe whatever they wish to believe.

Atheism and religion are both beliefs and people hold on to their beliefs despite whatever evidence the other side brings forth.

Psychology studies of cults have proven that proof positive simply strengthens their devotion. Example, apocalypse cults predict the end of the world which doesnt happen, and believers simply say their positive thoughts prevented it.

I cuaght your example... this one : Apocalypse cults predict the end of the world which doesnt happen, and believers simply say their positive thoughts prevented it.

Is this your opinion or a copy paste?

If this is your opinion please kindly share why you think this... as extremely interesting methinks...?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Right on the money. If ever there were irrefutable proof that God did not exist and that spirituality was nothing more then a fantasy we created for ourselves, then I'd just stick a gun to my head and pull the trigger. Existence is an insatiable pursuit of materialism (nothingness) without a divine purpose behind it all.

I do apologize for the morbidity.
edit on 16-9-2014 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join