It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minecraft to Join Microsoft

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ugh, my kids are big in to this game, they watch some Brit player on YT. I can't figure out the allure, it doesn't seem all that engaging. Well, not any more engaging than the Sims does.

Sorry kids, we have enough MS-brand stuff in the house. Mama's getting you K'Nex and/or an Erector set if you want to build things. Or (sorry, feet) more legos.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is actually horrible news. I hate it when indie developers sell to large publishers. EA is a prime example of a publisher that destroys game studios. Since this article is about a Microsoft acquisition, I can use Bungie, Rare, and Ensemble Studios as an example. Microsoft destroyed each of these studios, and with them, a large volume of very popular games.

It's absolutely horrible what is done to game studios.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This is for all you people who don't get minecraft...

Every one of us die hard minecrafters went through it...

Explicit language warning... lol

This one is just funny... good series!

edit on 16-9-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Since we're showing minecraft videos, a personal favorite of mine. It's a song, work and language friendly.

What can I say? I heart MC
edit on 16-9-2014 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Well...

As far as Minecraft music videos go, here is "Fallen Kingdom". Eighty Million views, so far.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I'm actually glad to see them go. They haven't really done anything progressive for the last year. Notch seems kinda like a huge troll to me, especially after that ordeal where he purportedly insulted the Yogscast (who helped majorly popularize the game) by falsifying some fan interaction reports... not really something a visionary leader should be doing.

If MS does do anything Minecraft related, I imagine they may introduce a spiritual 'sequel' to it, similar to what Terraria did with Starbound. They've got plenty of mods out there to 're-engineer,' so why not? It's like a whole new game...

Speaking of mods, I plan on opening a heavily modded Forge server some time soon. Preliminary testing is nearly complete. Just have a few more things to set up and it will be ready for public entry. Will probably put up a topic on the video games section when it's done.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Septimus Notch seems kinda like a huge troll to me,

notch gave it up, he was no longer apart of development,

the graphics were initially a place holder, the intent was to design graphics last, so they would only be bad until the game was ready then they would be reinvented to be more attractive, but. people got used to the graphics, it became apart of the game for many players so they just ended up leaving them how they are.

plenty of mods out there though that improve graphics.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: pryingopen3rdeye

I'm aware of this, but having him be associated with any part of Minecraft seemed like a bad thing. He's generally the one people would associate with the game, and with him completely out of the picture now, that bad association hopefully won't be an issue. I'm well aware of shaders and HD texture packs, but graphics aren't my major complaint about MC...it's the lack of content in vanilla. Thankfully, mods take care of that.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Septimus
...it's the lack of content in vanilla.

Minecraft isn't about content for the kids playing, it's about allowing them to make their own content. For over a decade we have been "told" that "content is king", and yet .... here is Minecraft. People are fed up with mudflation, the only value to an IP being "the art", and programmers being treated like dirt when it comes to profits.

It's not about being a consumer of content, it's about being a creator.

I remember seeing a video where a guy filmed his cat on his Iphone. Then rendered each frame in minecraft blocks through a mod. He then spliced each screenshot together and reuploaded it. His cat was now animated, but in minecraft blocks.

If you are waiting for minecraft to provide the content, you are seriously missing the boat.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

I've created plenty of content in the last two years. Hell, I'm gonna be running my own server soon. I guess when I say 'content' I should clarify what specifically I'm missing in MC. Mobs mobs mobs...single players worlds quickly lose their luster when you encounter the same thing over and over again. Also, various other aesthetic content such as half blocks or microblocks which you would otherwise have to obtain through mods. Not to mention things like buildcraft with piping systems for advanced item transport, having the ability to put redstone where you want it (instead of just on the ground) for setting up complex electronics... basically things that should have been added long ago or should have been obvious to have in the first place.

I'm all for building castles and battle boats, but those ships have sailed several times already. I guess it's not so much the stuff in the game I'm missing, but the tools with which to create the stuff I want.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I've been in a deep depression about the sale all this week now. Minecraft was the last vestige of the gaming world.

It's goodness and power was strong and now lies in the pale, filthy hands of corporate greed. I really can't begin to say how sad I am about this. All that I read about on here, all that goes on in this horrible world was trumped for me with this buyout and leaves me with little reason to keep going on this rotten planet. (No amount of kittens will help, so no images/etc please)

BTW, this buyout heavily opens up the path to destroying net neutrality as well in the big picture of things, so think about that before judging my pain as trivial.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join