It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bigger the Lie..Media Bias on Scottish Independence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
This is a video showing us all how the Media manipulates the public.
Its a Video about the Biased UK Media on the subject of Scottish Independence, but it could just as well be about CNN, RT, Fox News Sky etc. etc

Here we have John Robertson Professor of Media Politics at the West of Scotland University talking about his research, his findings and how the BBC tried to get him the sack.

We will remember everyone of them regardless of the outcome at the end of this week.
Lets see how many Pro Union members try and defend this underhand Manipulation tactic.
Hey, the Sheeeple need a Shepard.

edit on 14-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I like this guy. His systematic approach into deconstructing what All MSM do everyday is worth the watch.

Go Scotland!!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The fear mongering is getting cranked up to full volume it was not long ago Scotland was getting called a parasite for living of the union !!! .

Well i think the marrige is over good and proper now ,sad for many to see me included ,but when you play about behind a partner's back bad things happen in life .

Maybe if the UNICORN was let of the chain to rule the LION things might have been better but pig's might fly some day this has not felt like a union for a long time now i am sad to say ,better to part as friend's but something tell's me deception is afoot with this vote as Ireland is stirring as are the Catalans .

And we cannot have that can we as we all trott along to Hitler's dream of a united Europe

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
...but something tell's me deception is afoot with this vote...

That's my concern also. It's as if they know it's inevitable so they want to rush it through and grab whatever they can. The whole 'neck and neck' thing seems like a circus intended to keep us on the edge of our seats.

Human emotions are very predictable. Euphoria following a YES would obstruct clear vision. I ask everyone to stay sober and scrutinise closely all developments following the vote.

Similarly a NO will cause severe unrest, the ideal smokescreen and excuse for all manner of actions not excusable in any other way.

Scrutiny, sobriety and self control are all very important now.
edit on 14 9 2014 by Kester because: case

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Thought provoking video.

This is in the comments.

From 1949-1979 the M.O.D sprayed large parts of Scotland with Zinc Cadmium Sulfide - Bacillus Globgii (mimics anthrax) and toxic Barium. This information was finally released following the tenacity of Norman Baker MP. The article appeared in the Guardian newspaper confirming this had taken place in 2003. The documents are now available to anyone who wishes to view them online or as FOI requests.
Zinc Cadmium sulfide is a known and very effective carcinogen. I would like to remind my fellow scots that there are parts of Scotland with the lowest life expectancy and highest infant mortality rates in the western world.
When Sue Ellison (spokesperson for Porton Down Government Laboratories); was asked: Is this practice still taking place in our present day.? Her direct quote was: "It is not MOD policy - to discuss ongoing experiments."
Porton Down is one of the most secured bases in England. Specializing in Germ warfare and nerve gas experimentation. Its activites are highly classified.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Well well John Robertson, a man who want's an independent Scotland. No surprise here then.

Maybe people should look at some of the answer's he gave to The Scottish Parliament a few months ago, and then make up your own minds to what he has stated on the vid

www.scottish.parliament.uk...

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Well well John Robertson, a man who want's an independent Scotland. No surprise here then.

Maybe people should look at some of the answer's he gave to The Scottish Parliament a few months ago, and then make up your own minds to what he has stated on the vid

Looked but i havn't got until the year 2145 to read it all, is there a particular quote you would like to point out...

This one maybe..

I have been producing a snapshot of what happened in February. The picture for “Reporting Scotland” for February massively improved, in the period after the row about my research blew up. I will not necessarily claim credit for that change, but the imbalance picture for BBC 1 has dramatically worsened. It is almost as if BBC 1 has entered the fray to present bad - news stories

or maybe this one..

I should say that I have been promoted in the interim. I thought that that was delayed — it took months and months, and I wondered whether I had shot myself in the foot. However, my new principal is Australian and I do not think that he gives a 4X about any of this.

And so what if the professor is a Yes supporter, i'm pretty sure a man of Professor Robertson's standing has made the choice from a Intellectual standpoint...Maybe that's what really grinds your gears. here we have a really smart man voting yes...it cant be, can it?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I’ll only comment on his “research” and this video, or what I have seen of the video. Regardless of my opinions about Scottish independence, these three points stand true.

1. He is clearly biased, and the fact that he was the only subject involved in this “research” debunks it as irrelevant. This might have been relevant and interesting if he used a pool of pro and anti viewers to analyse the media coverage, but he has chosen not to do that. His research is in no way scientific and in no way can he remove his individual bias from the results. This is faux-research, completely unscientific and open to absolute manipulation and bias.

2. The BBC was right to complain, because this was a “study” which cast them in an appalling light, and one which any real scientific researcher would agree is nothing short of slanderous. All media (especially the BBC, regardless of what you personally think of it) is founded on the notion of impartiality, to accuse it of being bias with a flimsy piece of “research”, which in reality is nothing more than one mans personal opinion, is slanderous.

3. This video, and this man, is embarrassing to this “University”. Any scientific researcher with half a brain would throw this nonsense out and demand that a truly impartial group be the subjects of such a study, not one man picking and choosing what he wants to see, or what he wants to present as “evidence” of something.

I stopped watching at the 3:10 mark, because this is all based on one mans biased opinion and the biased “study” he claims to have done supposedly proving something that cannot be scientifically valid when he is the only subject.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Indeed, he is clearly biased and his own opinions about the media coverage will result in an entirely biased "study". If this man is a professor, the University needs to look into their hiring standards and reconsider the quality of the people they employ. This is NOT a valid scientific study and to claim that it is is an embarrassment to the University and insulting to his students.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013
So in 3 and a half minute you have formed an opinion on Professor Robertson and came to the conclusion without ever meeting the Man that.
1. The Professor is Biased and guilty of slander.
2. the BBC are Impartial...(Remember IRAQ and AFGHANISTAN) never mind the question of Scottish independence.
3.The professor is an Embarrassment. I agree there, he is an embarrassment...to the BBC.

I dont know what planet you have been on of late, but it's clear to see that the BBC and the World wide Media are well and truly in cahoots with governments the world over.
And if there are people like yourself out there who cant see this in this day and age then God help us all..

I thought we as a species had woken up some since 9/11...Maybe not.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
my point.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

Indeed, he is clearly biased and his own opinions about the media coverage will result in an entirely biased "study". If this man is a professor, the University needs to look into their hiring standards and reconsider the quality of the people they employ. This is NOT a valid scientific study and to claim that it is is an embarrassment to the University and insulting to his students.

Ok then. Chew over this as let me know where you have problems.

www.newsnetscotland.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

That's a great clip.

"Lets talk about the other side of the story."

"Why?"

Priceless!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: helldiver

That's a great clip.

"Lets talk about the other side of the story."

"Why?"

Priceless!

i think he said ...why,? you dont get a vote, at one point, That BBC impartiality for you.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
So in 3 and a half minute you have formed an opinion on Professor Robertson and came to the conclusion without ever meeting the Man that.

Given that he claims this is a valid study, when he admits that he was the only participant, and given that he already has a biased opinion, that's all I needed to see!

It's really quite simple, this study is a fraudulent piece of work that has absolutely no credibility at all, and any real scientific professional would tell you this to be fact.

There is no possible way his study can be taken seriously in any way, because he has completely failed to maintain professional standards in research. Even a student of such would be able to see within moments that this man and his study need to be rejected as nonsense.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: helldiver

Ok then. Chew over this as let me know where you have problems.

www.newsnetscotland.com...

The page is not loading.

Regardless of that, nothing changes the fact that this man, who already has a clear opinion, sat in front of news channels and made notes, then presented this as some kind of "evidence" of media bias, when he himself is clearly biased.

It makes no difference who expresses an opinion either way on whether it's true or not, the fact of the matter is that this man is claiming this is a valid study, when it IS NOT.

You cannot create a study based on your own opinions and present that as evidence without any basic objectivity or opportunity for comparison. It's not scientific, it's not a reflection of reality, it is a man making a personal statement of belief and claiming that his opinion is based on science, when it CLEARLY is not.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I just read this and thought you'd like to know you're not alone...

A large crowd gathered outside BBC Scotland's Glasgow HQ to protest about coverage of the referendum. Police said up to 1,000 people took part although other observers suggested a much higher figure for the crowd. The protesters said BBC coverage had been biased against independence.

A BBC spokesperson said: "We believe our coverage has been fair and impartial and has adhered fully to the requirements of our Editorial and Referendum Guidelines." Protesters gathered outside the BBC's Pacific Quay offices at about 14:00. They draped a banner over the entrance to the building calling for the BBC's political editor Nick Robinson to be sacked.

BBC Scotland

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

my point.

It seems this is nothing more than a complaint against what has been happening in news media for decades no matter what the story.

This is not specifically about Scotland. It's not new for us to see tabloid papers with sensationalist headlines, why is this seemingly something shocking now that it's happening about Scotland?

Have people been sleeping through the last thirty years and suddenly woke up to scream about the sensationalism over this?

It's nonsense. The same thing has been happening for as long as Tabloid papers have existed. This is not new, and rational people know not to trust the papers in the UK regardless of the story. They are in it for profit, selling papers based on shock and sensationalism, this is nothing like the BBC.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Here's your unbiased BBC for you..

Biased BBC

BBC Bristol Occupied

But hey, it's just us Scots who are paranoid. Get real, we have been watching and listening to every debate, news broadcast, tabloid publication for the last two years on Scottish independence and trust me..Professor Robertson never even scraped the bottom of the barrel as far as Media Bias is concerned.

These People are playing with fire by nailing their colours to one particular mast. The bigger story is yet to be told. they will have plenty to write about after the 18th.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

my point.

It seems this is nothing more than a complaint against what has been happening in news media for decades no matter what the story.

This is not specifically about Scotland. It's not new for us to see tabloid papers with sensationalist headlines, why is this seemingly something shocking now that it's happening about Scotland?

Have people been sleeping through the last thirty years and suddenly woke up to scream about the sensationalism over this?

It's nonsense. The same thing has been happening for as long as Tabloid papers have existed. This is not new, and rational people know not to trust the papers in the UK regardless of the story. They are in it for profit, selling papers based on shock and sensationalism, this is nothing like the BBC.

You talk about the BBC's unbiased reporting and yet you condone this blatant biased coverage from the BBC...where is the balance..is that not what you said the BBC was founded on "impartial reporting". ??

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join