It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We should have olfactory high art.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I think this is the right forum for this because its kind of a philosophical and psychological issue. This used to be the forum for psychology as well as philosophy...hopefully it still is because I think this topic overlaps those two areas. And its an aesthetic issue, and aesthetics was one of the branches of classical philosophy.

Aaaaanyway...the human mind and self are aesthetically stimulated by various types of arts. We have the visual arts, like painting, sculpture, video, etc., which engage the aesthetic sensibility of the self through the visual sense. Music appeals to the sense of hearing. We have chefs who create great culuinary masterpieces that engage the sense of taste.

Why no serious artists working with smell?

I know the idea seems kind of weird but bear with me. I suppose one reason this hasn't happened is because we simply lack the technology. And it can't be said that people are complely negiligent in this area. We have aromatherapy, for example, and potporri, and insence. There have been rare spices and aromatic oils treasured through the ages for their great smells. And of course perfume and cologne.

But even so, there is nothing on the order of, say, renaissance art or classical music that engages the sense of smell.

Now we have the ability to work much more subtly with chemistry, there should be people working on creating new olfactory delights that take the sense of smell to the level of high art.

Like I said I know its a kind of strange idea and opens itself to jokes to some extent, but what say you? Can we engage the mind/soul/aesthetic senses with complex new olfactory art?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
some people create to appease the sense of smell very seriously. Perfume and Cologne can become very expensive. air fresheners, household cleaning appliances, and basically all hygienic art are very valuable and by far the highest of arts considerably by the amount of its patrons. Sure, it's the more scientific of the arts, but that doesn't mean people do not put their heart into making it.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: KarensHoliday
We have chefs who create great culuinary masterpieces that engage the sense of taste.
Smell is probably very important in food and beverages too. Try eating and drinking while holding your nose.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The art of creating perfume, which has been elevated to museum level, is a place to start, perhaps? Link

This is an area that could definitely be explored further, with greater application, for a full-sense exploration of art...

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Several years ago, Our Canadian Government paid over a million bucks for a canvas that was half black and half white and called it art.
How long before someone applies for a Canada Council grant to produce bad gas?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Well...we do have olfactory "high art" in the form of perfumery.
Although that is an exclusive for-profit market.

It would be a different experience to enter a museum exhibit
and smell, let's say bread baking, or a sea breeze, for example.

But for now (I'm afraid) you'll have to make do with scented
candles--that's about as good as it gets.

It's a good idea though. We do have art forms for every other human sense.
culinary arts
massage therapy
music
painting and sculpture

The nose is getting the short end of the stick

top topics

join