It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians: Could the idea of evolution be the abomination that causes desolation?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
If you agree, explain why. If you do not, explain why not.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: mikefougnie

No, evolution is what advances us as a species. It Is the opposite of desolation

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
At first, it is called theory of evolution, not idea.
Secondly, what is an abomination? We need to have a definition for that which we all can understand, so we can make the decision, if the TOE is an abomination or not.

Thirdly, what are the defined characteristics of an abomnation which may cause desolation?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Frankly I don't see how it couldn't be the cause. I'm pretty sure evolution came out the same time as AIDS, SARS, diabetes, and homosexual behaviour. Before that there wasn't any, people were more godly. Obviously this is due to Satan gaining more power by people believing in silly evolution which is just a whim of some guy that's really old and dead, and a few thousand people who followed him and proved his theories right with quacky "science". Next science will be telling us that god didn't cause the earth to spin or something stupid.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: boncho

I was thinking that Evolution shows humans in a place to decide right and wrong, being that it is all about us and nothing really matters. Quite the opposite of the Bible. This kind of thinking leads to what you were saying.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikefougnie

I was thinking that Evolution shows humans in a place to decide right and wrong, being that it is all about us and nothing really matters. Quite the opposite of the Bible. This kind of thinking leads to what you were saying.

Because it's impossible to live a moral life without having the bible to guide you right? If there is no god people may as well have unprotected sex every hour with strangers and shoot anyone who ticks them off!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Religion hasn't got the monopoly on good. I'm a good person because I know how I feel when people aren't good to me. Not because it is in a book.

You wash everyday because you want to be clean not because someone told you too.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: boncho
Frankly I don't see how it couldn't be the cause. I'm pretty sure evolution came out the same time as AIDS, SARS, diabetes, and homosexual behaviour. Before that there wasn't any, people were more godly. Obviously this is due to Satan gaining more power by people believing in silly evolution which is just a whim of some guy that's really old and dead, and a few thousand people who followed him and proved his theories right with quacky "science". Next science will be telling us that god didn't cause the earth to spin or something stupid.

What is this mythical time in which people were more Godly? There never was such a time.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: KeliOnyx

originally posted by: boncho

What is this mythical time in which people were more Godly? There never was such a time.

I believe it was around the time the Romans saw that paganism was dying out and when everyone went Christian they realized "hey these people pay their way into heaven", since the pith was popular back then most of the really godly leaders got into leading the church and you had church brothels and whatnot, getting down to the most holiest of holies.

Yep, people sure were godly back then. And if you weren't you were thrown in a river, obviously a practicing witch. Should you survive you were innocent. A brilliant system they should bring it back!

I was being sarcastic in my posts if you hadn't guessed I just saw this thread for the Christian/atheist troll bait that it is.
edit on 13-9-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
In ones lifetime one evolves from baby to grown-up. Why would humans evolve as a specie? Therefore nature would have to evolve also. Doesn't it? Does nature evolve? Do trees evolve? I believe the planet has always been the same. When the planet gets cold, our clothes evolve. Everything evolves except the humans as a specie.

What does one gain from believing humans evolve as a specie? Try to answer me that! Nothing, if you ask me. It benefits nothing.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikefougnie

Evolution and Religion can co-exist.. The question is why people try to make a competition out of the two.. There is more to Spirituality than just the advancement of the Human Species and religion isn't against science in the first place.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: KeliOnyx

That was the "50's!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Briles1207

If you look at real history(and not those ever changing text books that contradict earlier text books) you will see we are devolving and it is very easy to see. Even the most "primitive" communities are recorded burying their dead, often times with stone markers and artifacts. Not just rulers, but even common people would typically have some of their stone implements they used in life tossed into their grave... implements that would be preserved for a very long time and not decay... If you assume the Evolutionary timeline, then humans have been burying their dead since "Paleolithic" times, over 100,000 years ago... We are talking many billions of people living and dying and burying their dead over all that time... We should be tripping over their burial sites everywhere we step. Graves should be littering the earth... But there are few remains to be found.... which is instead what we would expect if people had only been around for a few thousand years as the Bible indicates... just as we would expect roughly the current world human population levels if we started with only 8 people stepping off the Ark 4,500 years ago.
edit on 13-9-2014 by itsallgonenow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: itsallgonenow

Thank you!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

No.

The Abomination that Leads to Desolation is a physical idol that is placed in the Holiest of Holies in the physical temple located in Jerusalem.

The belief that you can reinterpret prophecy as if it were a metaphor shows that you don't undestand how specific the fulfilment of biblical prophecy has been.

For instance, the prophecy reagarding the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem (which occurred in AD70) says that no stone would be left standing upon another. What actually happened was that the Romans even dug up the foundation stones (supposedly in their search for any gold that may have melted into the cracks). The removed stones were tossed over the edge of the temple grounds and into the valley below. So you can see that what thought of previously as a metphor for total destruction, was actually a very specific description of events.

There are hundreds of such examples of the specifics of fulfilled prophecy.

If you take prophecy as being allegorical or metaphorical, you can apply all sorts of nonsense meanings to it.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Evolution is proof of God.

All evolution is, is the choice to adapt or not.

Change or die.

Free will on a genetic level.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

The spiritual definition of 'abomination of desolation' is 'a false god or idol who causes religious desolation'.

When you see the 'abomination of desolation' standing in the Holy Place... in other words, the Antichrist standing in the Temple at Jerusalem; being worshipped as though he were God.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Why don't you explain to us why you think it could be?

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

A discussion doesn't work this way. We have to find common grounds, and the bible uses different definitions than a dictionary, I guess.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join