It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two super hornets F/A18 shot down in the pacific?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I apologize if this has been posted before.

But according to scandinavian news, its rumored that two US super hornets have been shot down in the pacific.

The only confirming story i can find is this:
www.navy.mil...

It says "Navy F/A-18 Hornets Crash in Pacific Ocean".

So did they crash or were they shot down ?

2 figthers at the same time ? - it seems unlikely to me. Hope someone has more info ?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The cause of the incident is under investigation.

It is strange for two to go down at once away from the carrier..

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Reports now state it was a mid-air collision and one pilot was recovered. One is still "missing"... which most likely means he didn't make it. Bummer.
edit on 9/12/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: kloejen

Already being discussed here

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: canucks555
The cause of the incident is under investigation.

It is strange for two to go down at once away from the carrier..

Actually doing air to air engagements against each other or horsing around and doing really close formation flying can get you feet wet in the Pacific. When I first heard of the incident those were my thoughts and "thought wise" my opinion has not changed.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

You might be right - it seems they collided in mid-air, according to CNN

(CNN) -- Two U.S. fighter jets collided over the western Pacific Ocean on Thursday while operating at sea, a Navy official told CNN on Friday.

Two F/A-18 Hornets that were operating aboard the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson crashed in the western Pacific, the Navy said earlier.

"Initial reports indicate the two jets collided," the Navy official said.

One pilot was rescued and is in fair condition while being treated aboard the aircraft carrier. There was a search under way for the other pilot, the Navy said.

The cause of the crash is under investigation, the Navy said. The jets have not been recovered.

source

This might be cyber warfare?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

What do you mean feet wet, do you mean crashing into the ocean?

Military speak for feet wet means any aircraft flying over water.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

Thanks

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel
a reply to: 727Sky

What do you mean feet wet, do you mean crashing into the ocean?

What you said about feet wet is correct. However in the context I used the phrase it had a much wider meaning... I suppose I could have used feet wet and hair wet... Just did not sound as good to me.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: kloejen

There is no way to get into the flight computers on aircraft from outside sources. You may be able to get into the FMS on a commercial aircraft, but you won't get into the computer itself. And the F-18 isn't controlled by the computers as much as some aircraft. This was simply an accident. They happen.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Ummm I don't suppose that next well hear they were chasing a UFO or something do you......
These guys train hard so we do lose them from time to time.......And they know it too......

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Okay, we have two conflicting stories. Scandinavian news says they were shot down, the American news (CNN) says they collided.

Who do we believe? Why would the Scandinavian news say they were shot down if there was not some evidence of it? Is it possible CNN is covering up?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

There are a lot of conflicting reports when planes crash. Someone probably said "They were near China, I wonder if they were shot down" and it turned into "They were shot down." The Chinese Navy is mostly a brown water navy, and operate near Chinese waters, and the South China Sea. There's no reason that they'd even be near Wake Island, let alone shoot down two F-18s. As for a DDOS attack, they'd have to find them first of all, which would be nearly impossible, then find a way to do it, which would be even closer to impossible.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
China is definitely a brown water navy moving into blue.

This confusion on ATS (and I see also a David Icke forum - go figure) reminds me of sometime in the mid-90's there was a Turkish, as well as a Greek jet that crashed in Cyprus and first reported as a skirmish between the two in military circles... our military was very concerned and the area immediately tensed up (mind you this is when Cyprus was a hot issue for the two countries). It turned out they both crashed into the sides of a mountain or something like that (exact details elude me right now) attempting to avoid crashing into each other after one being sortied to intercept the other I think. This scenario is now used as a training platform. Why? For this exact reason, not to assume a shoot down without the proper information or evidence to suggest so and avoid a war.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Yeah, that's like earlier this year. The RAF unit operating in Cyprus were scrambled to intercept an aircraft that was coming towards the island without positive identification. There were some Turkish aircraft operating in the area as well, so it suddenly became a near skirmish between the RAF and Turkish AF, when the two of them were nowhere near each other.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Is it that or the idea that if they have to bailout over water they will get their feet wet?

Zaphod?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Could this have been caused by the solar flare that was supposed to hit today?
Some of the warnings I saw posted said it could interfere with navigation equipment of various sorts. So I am wondering if it could have messed with their system

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
I am not sure where or how the term(s) originated, though that is a logical take on it ... aircraft over land are feet dry.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It was used a lot during Vietnam by carrier pilots. I'm not sure where it started, but they'd call Feet Dry when they went over land, and Feet Wet on the way back out. It's just a shorter way of saying you were over land or water during the mission. Keep your comms short so they're harder to intercept.
edit on 9/12/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

ETA: a reply to: AllSourceIntel

It was used a lot during Vietnam by carrier pilots. I'm not sure where it started, but they'd call Feet Dry when they went over land, and Feet Wet on the way back out. It's just a shorter way of saying you were over land or water during the mission. Keep your comms short so they're harder to intercept.

Roger that. Carrier operations in the water off Vietnam. Maybe Korea also but before my time.

Announcements of going feet dry or wet also changed the kind of ready rescue mission that would be undertaken if they had to bailout. Over sea was a lot easier than land. Rescue at sea was one or two helicopters, over land they might have to fight their way in and out depending on the location.

The announcement told operations when they crossed between those two scenarios. (Coming out) going feet wet was a relief, going dry was "Indian country". I think it also had something to do with preference. Its easier to land in Ocean than jungle, and easier to be found.

Gonna get wet, feet wet.

edit on 13-9-2014 by intrptr because: reply added

top topics

<<   2 >>

join