It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Number Of Americans Do Not Want Atheist In-Laws...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
What percentage of people want in-laws?

They want sex! If things go wrong, they get in-laws. Percentage?...I'd guess 5%

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
This is a great OP. Finally something to rally all faiths...atheists suck.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
That's what kind of results you get if you only ask white conservative religious republicans. I bet if the broadened that block a bit they'd get more realistic results. That's like saying Americas favorite food is ice cream by only asking kids under ten. eply to: Klassified

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Pew research stinks.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Without any further data...hmmm what was the sample size of the survey? What was the location of the survey? Who did the survey? How was the survey data collected?

Unless there is a full accounting of this survey the results really mean nothing. Want me to prove something? I'll research a demographic that agrees with my theory and then survey that demographic. Want me to prove that people would be unhappy if their relative married an athiest? I'll sample the bible belt in a survey.

Ridiculous survey to begin with, as if it's trying to prove a point.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
So at the same time Americans criticise extremists for judging a persons worth based on ones beliefs, they're doing the exact same thing (but admittedly at a much much less extreme level). Talk about pot calling the kettle black.

Who gives a flying damn what nationality, religion or background your kids partner comes from? As long as your kid is loved, happy and being cared for then that's all that matters. People seem to get a sick sense of enjoyment out of elevating themselves above others based on their own belief systems and arbitrary, meaningless rules.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
What percentage of people want in-laws?

My thoughts exactly.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Surveys and statistics can easily be manipulated to say just about anything.

We are a fairly conservative Christian family. If one of my kids would someday marry an atheist, I'd be fine with that. If they were loving and fully committed to each other, I'd be overjoyed that my child found someone special to share their life with. If I had a concern, assuming my child was still practicing the faith of his or her youth, it might be that their differing views on "big issues" could cause marital drama. That can be a challenge in any inter-faith marriage. But, that would be between them.

So, yes...I would welcome an atheist into our family with open arms. Jesus would too.

I don't shove my beliefs down anyone's throat, and assuming the in-law was similarly tolerant we'd have no issues.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek
Thank you.
You're one of the few in this thread who actually put some thought into this. Don't know if you actually read the article(s), Or watched the video, but you hit the nail on the head, along with Autumn Witch. Surveys like this are practically worthless, because of the social engineering that goes on behind the scenes the reader never knows about. However...

I would like to add a few thoughts. As someone who has stood on both sides of the fence now. Xtian and atheist. I have been amazed at how differently I am treated by the average American if the fact that I'm an atheist comes into the discussion. Some people are horrified, and others politely disturbed and/or concerned. Also, one of the reasons I posted this is because this very thing has come up in my own life. "Oh my god! My parents would die if I brought home an atheist."

So while I think Pew has no doubt slanted the results of this survey. I most certainly have no problem believing that an atheist is the last person your parents want to see you marry. My own experiences have convinced me that atheists are still as relegated to the closet as LGBT once was, and still is.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Been there myself...was raised as a pentecostal, spent more time at church than home as a teenager. Now I get my spiritual food from my Buddhist practice...But going further, I think that anyone that has morals and leads a generous and kind life, regardless of what belief system they have, would be accepted as an "in-law" or a new family member.

And yes, I did read the article...from both links. I was searching for all the important info: who did the survey? what was the purpose of the survey? where were the participants from? How was the survey conducted? Didn't find any of those answers on my initial cursory search.

Above all, we internet people should never lose our critical thinking abilities. Just my take on the whole mess this world has become.

edit on 12-9-2014 by kelbtalfenek because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
A "huge number of Americans" are fat, eat at McDonald's, think the story of Noah is real, don't know the Earth revolves around the sun, can't name the freedoms protected by the first amendment, can't find Iraq on a map and they crucify spelling and grammar. A "huge number of Americans" are really pretty stupid.

I'm not too bothered that these same people don't want an atheist in the family. Most likely, they don't know what an atheist is.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: HiMyNameIsCal
Pure garbage! That is like saying 80% of people who like tomatoes love tomatoes. I giv you two well evolved thumbs down

Exactly. It reminded me of this logic:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Well I think you should post someone who actually knows what their talking about...I have watched plenty of that girls videos, and she doesn't even understand the arguments people make. I would love to debate her lol. For example, the first thing she talks about is that religious people think atheist cannot have morals.....that is not the argument people make. Its called a strawman argument. Also religious people only bring up the problem of morality, when atheist bring up the problem of evil. The moral argument doesn't say atheist don't know morality. It says they have no objective standard to which they can justify morality. It is mainly a rebuttal to the problem of evil...

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: minkmouse

But alas, I just don't believe, I'm not an Atheist.

That's what an atheist is. They just don't believe. Everything else attached to the word, has nothing to do with its meaning.

I would argue that athiest have evolved into a religion themselves and many do not want to be a part of that either. Of coarse we would not be talking literal definitions but more of groups of people that want to turn their backs on movements or clubs alltogether.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb
If you've watched her vids, then you know she has addressed this...

It says they have no objective standard to which they can justify morality.

Nevertheless, I didn't post that clip because she was in it. I posted it because it talked about the original article.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

If she knows the real argument then why does she purposely put that strawman argument forward? Kinda dishonest wouldn't you say...

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo
I'm not used to seeing you do a drive-by post Cuervo. Please elaborate on why you agree with mister tomato on page one. Thanks.

edit on 9/12/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/12/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

I would argue that athiest have evolved into a religion themselves and many do not want to be a part of that either. Of coarse we would not be talking literal definitions but more of groups of people that want to turn their backs on movements or clubs alltogether.

Admittedly. I have had my anti-theist/anti-religion moments, and in that sense, I can certainly see a religious slant. But the only thing atheists have in common with each other, is a lack of belief in god. Beyond that, they're all over the place in their beliefs. So no, atheism is simply a word that says. "I don't believe in god". Any other connotations attached to the word have nothing to do with its definition.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb

If she knows the real argument then why does she purposely put that strawman argument forward? Kinda dishonest wouldn't you say...

Probably because there are xtians who say atheists can't have morals, and probably because she has learned that no matter what she says, it's going to be perverted and twisted anyway. So simplicity wins out. I don't agree with her on this point, but I'm not going to blast her over it either.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
Yea that's real mature to degrade a whole country of people that do not view things the same as you. You honestly have much in common with the nose in the air crowd. I have noticed you take no limitations in what you will use to besmirch someone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join