It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Threatened Yahoo With Big Fines Over User Data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

A secret legal battle between the U.S. government and Yahoo Inc. YHOO +0.29% over requests for customer data became so acrimonious in 2008 that Washington threatened to charge the Internet company $250,000 a day if it didn't comply.

Yahoo made the threat public Thursday after a special federal court unsealed 1,500 pages of legal documents from a once-classified court battle over the scope of National Security Agency surveillance programs.

The documents shed new light on tensions between American technology companies and the intelligence community long before former NSA contractor Edward Snowden began leaking in 2013.

Wow, how do you like the US Government? Comply or face millions in fines. I am glad this information is finally coming out and showing how our heavy-handed Government treats anyone that doesn't follow their unconstitutional data collection directives.

Source
edit on 2014/9/11 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Sounds more like the Mafia than a gooberment.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Kinda like a convert or die mandate that seems to be very fashionable these days only instead of a real sword it is a monetary sword that is used.. There are always reasons some believe it is permissible to take liberties and privacy from others. With all the stuff going on in the world it would appear things will not improve anytime soon, if ever...

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Funny thing is. Yahoo is some of the biggest Obama, Liberal homers out there.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I don't completely understand your constitution and what not but I'm willing to bet this was illegal on the governments part...Has to be!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
There's a lot more to this than what we're seeing in print.

I think Yahoo is full of it and they're trying to put something in the minds of their customers that's not entirely what it appears to be. They're just like any other corporate entity. It's all about the bottom line.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Unlawful or should I say unconstitutional behavior has been going since the beginning. Starting with the Whiskey rebellion tax, and Hamilton’s vengeance to collect an unlawful tax for the treasury. There are so many cases of this type of behavior throughout the US history that it has become common in today’s political climate of not adhering to the constitution with a do nothing congress and rampant judicial activism.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Every day this government shows me just how much they need tossed in the trash. Really sick what these pricks do these days.
Scum of the Earth.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

Obama is a democrat not a liberal.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

And your point is what? This happened in 2008, Bush was president then.

Besides that, what does Obama or liberal have to do with any of it? These programs were created under Bush. Obama continued them after campaigning to do this exact opposite. This goes well beyond partisan politics.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
a reply to: OptimusCrime

Obama is a democrat not a liberal.

LoL, whatever you say.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Besides that, what does Obama or liberal have to do with any of it? These programs were created under Bush. Obama continued them after campaigning to do this exact opposite. This goes well beyond partisan politics.

My point is Yahoo is up Obama's asshole along with the rest of the Democrats that I'm surprised this is still going on. Furthermore, I can't see the actual article b/c it's asking me to sign up, which I'm not doing, so going off as much info I have available.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Its all for show. The "government" takes what it wants without permission as we saw in the Snowden leaks. Any organization who claims to be fighting it is just a public relations campaign.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

My point is Yahoo is up Obama's asshole along with the rest of the Democrats that I'm surprised this is still going on. Furthermore, I can't see the actual article b/c it's asking me to sign up, which I'm not doing, so going off as much info I have available.

It's very much going on, the NSA sucks up data from everyone and they'll coerce companies to get it. Part of the deal is that they get it in secret too. It's how the NSA gets their information since they can't have rooms directly in the ISP's office anymore.

top topics

join