It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English-speaking Man Wakes Up from Coma Speaking Fluent in Mandarin

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The guy already spoke Mandarin. He was living in China prior teaching English. "Fluent" sounds like a sensational twist the news outlet has put on the story to get people clicking.

No past lives, no "conscious frequency energy", no reincarnation, just another misleading fluff piece. The lack of critical thought on display by some is embarrassing.
edit on 12-9-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Cool story...I got 2 ideas...

1. in his past life he was Chinese.

2. he is a spy who speaks Mandarin secretly and it accidentally got out without him remembering he was a spy

Very cool story

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

3. he is a regular dude who could already speak Mandarin

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Ah just saw your above post...above mine...didn't catch that fact! Problem solved haha.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Do you realize that you don't have to speak mandarin to teach english over there???

Most english teachers in asia DON'T speak the native tongue...

The only requirement is speaking English as they are almost invariably English immersion courses...

So, if you're only going by the fact that he taught english there, then you are sorely mistaken..

Jaden

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

1) A friend of his posted an update and said he definitely spoke Mandarin to a decent level

2) It even says in the article that he was taught Mandarin in school

3) How exactly did they gauge he was fluent? Did they make him sit a college level Mandarin test at his bedside?

The very idea that this sensationalist fluff piece (from the dreaded "MSM" of all places!) is evidence of past lives, global consciousness, reincarnation or anything else other than the very mundane reality is beyond credulous and absurd.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Past Life was exactly what went through my mind when reading the title of this thread.

He did study the language, but don't they say that we have interests in things that could be connected to a past life?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I've noticed that our brains record EVERYTHING. We're only "aware" of the very top level of our minds in any given situation. Even if you think you don't remember something, it's locked away up there someplace. This is why hypnosis *can* be useful in some situations.

I've had memories of events that I haven't recalled in 20 years come back to me after working to enhance my mental capacity. They're still there -- we just don't have the neural connections built to access them.

Imagine having a bunch of untitled folders in your brain. If you don't know what is in them, you probably won't explore them. A lot of information is stored like that in the brain. When we "remember" something it seems that it is because we have titled the "folder" and placed it in a spot in our waking consciousness where we can find/access it.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Even if this story is largely exaggerated, hasn't this type of thing happened many times before?

This is far from the only example..

I would also go with the past life theory but I hardly know enough to have an informed opinion.

Hmm, seems my google link was broken, just google "head injury speak different language" if interested in more examples.
edit on 12-9-2014 by TheLaughingGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I can attest to the changes that can occur after one comes out of a coma. My hubby was in a coma for 3 months and when he came out of it, he was and still is a totally different person, and this occurred 10 years ago. He would lay in his hospital bed and be talking about complicated concepts relevant to physics though he never had any prior knowledge or interest in such before his coma. I have always been studying up on physics so I understood a lot of what he was mentioning was not gibberish but actual things I had read about and heard about on tv documentaries and such. He was always in his "man cave" doing hobbies when the tv was on so he didn't hear any of that. Why he suddenly "knew" about physics is a mystery.

His personality and sense of humor and even his habits in regards to how he dresses and other interests totally changed. it was like he was a different person for sure.

He had to have extensive rehab and the speech therapists worked with him. One day, they "tested" him by telling him a long story about items a woman had in her closet and named several items and then went on to add a long side story to it and then came back to the items dealy...testing his memory, I guess...They had mentioned sweaters and shoes and purse and such as the items in the ladies closet. They asked him that if the husband came home, what would he expect to find in his wifes closet...expecting him to answer the items. He pipes up and says, "Another man" and they just cracked up.

A coma does seem to do strange things to a person and it does seem to change them.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Another odd thing occurred after my hubby came out of his coma,...before his illness, we used to redo muscle cars...I'd help with the bondo dealy, wet sanding and grinding and painting and then we'd sell them...also worked on redoing old street bikes and dirt bikes and selling those. After he came out of his coma, that ended. He started buying computer parts off of ebay and actually building them...first desk tops, then laptops and became a total computer nerd. He never went and took classes or anything like that, he just "did" it just like that. Weird, I thought. Now, his man cave is stacked to the roof with computers.
He sells some once in a while.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

If you only knew how much I would like to see that guy and listen to him talking english and mandarin..

Honestly, I think this is a bravo siërra story...

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
These cases crop up from time to time.

In every case, the person had some prior knowledge of the language they were now speaking.

It's interesting from the point of view of how the brain compensates for minor trauma to a certain area, but no mystery really.

Personality changes following heart transplants is also interesting, where the recipient takes on some of the donor's personality characteristics; but scientists have now discovered that the heart can store memories, so again, no mystery.

I'll tell you what's mysterious...foreign accent syndrome.

Someone explain that one.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
How amazing would that be!?!?

I took French in high school, and occasionally I will have entire dreams in French... I wonder how accurately I am dreaming when I have these

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
As someone who has been lucky enough to study and research neuroscience, I find some of the comments in this thread very disconcerting. I'm sorry guys, but this is most definitely NOT evidence/ a case of/ an example of reincarnation, spiritual energy, past life, or anything of the like.

The brain truly is an amazing organ. Every single new stimuli we encounter (such as me typing away right now while listening to the music I'm currently playing) causes new and specific neurones and neurone pathways to form in our brain. Every new stimuli/ experience does this, so you can imagine how immense this network is (think miniature galaxy in our heads).

The more often we engage in a certain experience or with a certain stimuli, the stronger these pathways become - and the better we become at recalling/ performing the target action. Every single thing we hear, see, touch, taste and smell is encoded in these networks, even stimuli we process unconsciously (see theory such as mere exposure effect, picture naming & association tasks with patients with severed corpus collosums etc.)

I'm not a professional here, but I have learned some absolutely amazing and mind blowing things from true neuroscientists, things which previously would've seemed impossible to me.

So, given my rookie knowledge, I would hazard the hypothesis that this man's previous studies in Mandarin were enough to create an extensive neural pathway related to Mandarin within his brain. Any Mandarin he saw, read or heard, whether he understood it or not, would've been added to this pathway - but not consciously registered as he was not using it actively. After his accident something has caused this neural network to become active/ come online.

As just a guess: neural pathways that are not used atrophy over time becoming smaller as the neurones die off. Other pathways which are used more instead flourish and grow, as they receive more energy. Since neurones which are functionally equivalent are stored together in the brain, perhaps this fellows brain injury caused a shift in the spatial lay out of his brain. With the neural network for Mandarin squishing out the network responsible for English (causing his loss of English language) and taking a more dominant position (causing him to speak Mandarin).

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Not knowing the case, or whether there really even is a case (not planning to research it at this time), I can offer some possibilities.

1) The obvious. Past incarnation / astral world memories being transferred to this incarnation's consciousness (I know that what people call 'sub-consciousness' without really understanding what they speak of, has a part in all this, but I want to keep the explanations simple)

2) Enhanced capacities - waking up things that normally exist in latent form in most people, until they are invoked / awakened. Chakra manipulation can cause this, spiritual cultivation and old spiritual age opens up these portals of energy and knowledge. How your soul accesses different planes through different brains is a delicate mechanism, and can be disturbed easily. By 'different brains', I actually mean 'the same brain in different planes', the lowest of which is the physical, and the highest of which I am not completel sure of, but which includes things like 'astral brain' and 'etheric brain'.

3) Using the 'holographic nature' of time to enhance and speed up learning and experiences (from this side's perspective). There are tales of people, who have lost their consciousness for a few seconds or minutes, and then 'came back', not believing what they are seeing, taking a really long time to reorientate. And the reason, according to their own explanations, is, that they lived a 'whole lifetime' somewhere else, they grew up and got a family and all that, and it was a really enormous amount of time - and then suddenly, they are in this weird place, everyone staring at them, and their family is no more. I have experienced something similar when we did some 'fainting experiments' as teens. The feeling is like coming to an alien world after a long time of normal life. I encourage watching some 'Salvia' user videos in youtube, especially the one, where the user later explains something very similar, and can't believe that one simple plant could have caused something so life-changing.

4) Using an 'astral version' of some of the devices that the Extra-Terrestrial humans use for fast learning of languages and cultures, memorizing information and all that. It has been said it takes about an hour for a typical visitor to learn pretty much any language of Earth, though it has also been said that they achieve true fluency and completely perfect pronunciation only after working on Earth within the culture that uses said language, in everyday basis. But perhaps he also lived in 'astral-China' during his coma.

Well, these are the things I can think of right now (I'd say "from the top of my head", but .. my thoughts do not come from my head, let alone the top of it, let alone the top of the physical part of it - head of any vibration frequency (etheric, astral, mental, causal or physical) is just a tool for the soul, which is where my thoughts come from, so I can't really use that odd saying with wisdom - so many Earth sayings are like this, unusable to any honest individual)..

.. I am sure others can think of more explanations. But it doesn't necessarily mean a past incarnation - it can be ANY of a multitude of possible explanations. We don't really know, until we investigate and research, and truly know what -actually- happened.

I don't have enough interest to go that far (not that I could anyway, as long as I am trapped by the physical body and the circumstances I am imprisoned within), but perhaps others can take off from here (is there a saying like this? English is not my first language).

But yeah, it would be way more impressive, if he hadn't already learned mandarin in this incarnation.. that sort of dilutes the whole thing (but at the same time, makes it more honest - or maybe it has been calculated to do it, exactly like the PUAs use the 'almost right' for bigger effect in their 'cold readings' and other nonsense, instead of the 'exact number', which would be immediately more suspicious - if you get it slightly wrong, you can't be a con man, can you? Surely anyone wanting to deceive people would be able to get it right.. so it can't be a trick! Or that's the psychological effect of such a gimmick).

edit on 13-9-2014 by Shoujikina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: RedEyes619

The brain truly is an amazing organ.

That is true. But so are all the other organs, including the invisible triple-warmer.

I am seeing someone, who blindly believes that the PHYSICAL side of the brain can do something amazing. Surely it is necessary to a degree, but to me, it's not even nearly as amazing as the higher brains (more delicate and complex), which are not as amazing as the HUMAN SOUL, which is what makes it all happen.

Your automobile may be amazing, but the human that's using it for travel, is the actual miraculous and more amazing of the two. The automobile can't do anything on its own, and the same is true for brain. Without soul, it's just dead, organic mass, no more amazing than an equal piece of another organic mass.

Don't put too much weight on the physical - I know that's what Earth 'science' wants people to do, but there's nothing PARTICULARLY amazing about the physical side of the brain, and the brain itself is not responsible for a lot of the things people give it credit for. I wish by 2014, this would already be common knowledge, but it isn't.

Ever heard of those people that only have liquid in their skull instead of a physical brain? And yet they can talk and function and think normally. Brain doesn't think, it's just a tool, like an INTERFACE to the physical place, so that we can actually function here. Brain is like any tool - sure, a pair of scissors may be 'amazing' in some way, but a human being that can use it to cut paper into beautiful shapes is the more amazing of the two.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
The how is easy.
His spirit remembered a language it once understood and spoke.
The why is a mystery

I can't buy that 100% for the simple reason that language is not static. Language constantly evolves. The English we speak now is different from the English spoken in our hometown 100 years ago, though probably very close. The same would go for the Mandarin from a past time.

But I have heard cases like these before and there is no concrete answer.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Shouldn't oscams razor be used here? Hmmmm the guy learned mandarin, has mandarin friends he MUST hear speaking mandarin... But oh yeah past life yup most defo a past life XD

Really? talk about putting 2 + 2 and getting 373636 lmao... Just mind boggling...

edit on 13-9-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
This really hits home for me. English is my native tongue and I can hold a conversation in french, spanish, hindu, and arabic from my personal effort to learn new languages during deployments but the last few months I have been noticing that I wake up with a chant stuck in my head that I can only explain as ancient. I've tried researching with no luck yet but the closest sounding language to it is either sumer or akkadian. Its intrigued me so much I chose to name my daughter Anatolia from the old hittite language.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join