It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gmail Hacked? Not Quite, Says Google (but Change Your Password)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Just a heads up.

Reports early Wednesday of millions of Gmail addresses and passwords being leaked had users of the popular email Web app understandably alarmed — but Google says the danger has been greatly exaggerated. "We found that less than 2% of the username and password combinations might have worked," the company wrote in a blog post, "and our automated anti-hijacking systems would have blocked many of those login attempts."

Link

Figured I might as well include an article about choosing and remembering strong passwords while I'm at it. This article gives some good advice.

How To Choose A Password

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

like most switched on people here we only use Gmail for spam nothing important gets sent to that service because none of us want google scanning our private mails for sellable info

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
have multiple accounts, the spam accounts that you couldn't care less about when signing up for something, then theres the more general accounts when you need to do your day to day crap and then theres the TOR accessed email accounts where you don't want anyone to know who you are

but most people consider gmail to be throwaway anyway as they're based in the USA so are bound to be read all the time by the NSA/GCHQ etc in real time

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I don't know about the rest of you, but through my Gmail, my accounts to just about everything could be reset and taken over.

Personally, I use LastPass. If a password is compromised, you can change it without actually relearning another new password. Further, you can be certain that you aren't using any duplicate password anywhere. And it's just so convenient.

Lastpass is the best damn thing ever invented since ad-block.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It was hacked. I've seen the dump. Highly recomend a password change for googlers.

Choosing Good Passwords. Desktop Security.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I am asking on behalf of someone else. How does one change their password if they don't remember it (browser auto fill), and created the account several years ago and don't remember the info they used signing up?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

You'll have to contact google from here and request a password change: accounts.google.com...

They'll send you to a page requesting a phone number or information on the old account for a confirmation that it's you. this can be done through text message or automated call.

edit on 11-9-2014 by AnonyMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
There is a website somewhere where you can check if your email was on the list. I found mine on there, but the password shown was an old one.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I've noticed I've been getting spam lately . I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Actually, it's kind of nice to see something in my mailbox. No one sends me mail. Except the power company. They sent me a disconnect notice.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason
That is the info we don't have. It has been years and he has moved so many times since.

What we are trying to do is figure out what to do when that won't work.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

That sounds hopeless to me, because if, without that information, he could still get into his account, then anyone could.

I'd say that unless he remembers the backup phone number, secondary email address, security questions, whatever thing they're asking for to prove his identity, that account is lost and should be abandoned.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I have nothing worth anything to worry about on Gmail, it's just a place I actively collect spam in.

top topics

join