It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Officer Arrests Firefighter At Accident Scene In California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
NPR

The firefighter, Jacob Gregoire, 36, was held in the police car for about 30 minutes before being released, CBS 8 says. The station posted video showing Gregoire talking to the news crew to be sure they knew what was taking place.

"Hey, I just want to let you know, he's arresting me for not moving the fire truck," Gregoire can be heard yelling.

Here you can see the continuing decline in intelligence of the average American.

What the hell is happening here?

I mean seriously a police officer is getting in the way of well trained firefighters while they are rescuing someone and cleaning up a crash site.

My god.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

This happened in Hazelwood MO (St Louis) and the firefighter won $17,500 in a lawsuit.

Officer Todd Greeves arrested Capt. David Wilson because they had a disagreement about where Wilson had parked the fire truck. Wilson testified at the trial that the Robertson Fire Protection District fire truck had been parked in such a way so that it would protect the rescue workers as they attempted to free a victim from a car that was involved in the crash on the Interstate.

When Greeves ordered that the fire truck be moved so that traffic could pass through the area, Wilson ignored him and continued working. Greeves then arrested Wilson, who was never charged. He was held for 23 minutes.

Wilson filed a lawsuit against Greeves and the City of Hazelwood, alleging that his civil rights were violated and he suffered anxiety and humiliation as a result of the arrest.

link

Cops have serious control issues!

edit on 11-9-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Firefighters and Paramedics are the real unsung heroes of the world. Just look at what they do and try to remember the last time you heard one of them complaining. I'm not sure what sort of training and education is involved with being a firefighter(I will look it up as I'm interested in this career field) but its got to be far more than what is required to be a cop. Incompetent and firefighter/paramedic don't seem like words you hear much in the same sentence. Mad respect for those guys and gals.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I imagine the Detroit police has all the bullets, tear gas and armored vehicles they need but the fire department uses empty soda cans to signal when a fax about a call out for a fire arrives.

Police win.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
As a firefighter/paramedic I can tell you for the most part we all get along. However I have seen a huge rivalry between firemen and police in many other cities. I have also noticed a trend with not all, but many Highway Patrol officers here on accident scenes. Especially accidents on interstates... It seems many times they are just trying to hurry us so they can clear up traffic. I understand somewhat because you don't want accidents to happen by distracted bystandards, but at the same time we have to do our job. The interstate is the most dangerous part of my job in my opinion and you DO NOT rush or play around out there. You look out for each other and use your vehicles as barriers which per protocol includes blocking lanes even if not effected by the wreck in general. Thumbs down to that officer and I promise you if he still has a job, he will receive no help from any of those guys again.
edit on 11-9-2014 by LoverBoy because: spelling

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: LoverBoy
As a firefighter/paramedic I can tell you for the most part we all get along. However I have seen a huge rivalry between firemen and police in many other cities. I have also noticed a trend with not all, but many Highway Patrol officers here on accident scenes. Especially accidents on interstates... It seems many times they are just trying to hurry us so they can clear up traffic. I understand somewhat because you don't want accidents to happen by distracted bystandards, but at the same time we have to do our job. The interstate is the most dangerous part of my job in my opinion and you DO NOT rush or play around out there. You look out for each other and use your vehicles as barriers which per protocol includes blocking lanes even if not effected by the wreck in general. Thumbs down to that officer and I promise you if he still has a job, he will receive no help from any of those guys again.

Sounds to me, from what you have said here, and the OP, that there needs to be a clear 'chain of command' established for these situations, where the Fire/Paramedics are "IN CHARGE" until such time as they turn control of the situation over to the police... (ie: when they have completed their rescue/cleanup mission)

Until those professionals give the go-ahead, police need to serve in a supportive role to facilitate proper/safe procedure of those professionals. I mean really, shouldn't they all be 'on the same team?' Why must the cops feel the need to be all "I'm in charge get out of my way!" to the folks actually clearing the wreck and taking care of the injured???

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

The cop had better pray that he never needs emergency medical treatment for the rest of his career.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LoverBoy

Yes, it's common sense
This incident came up here a while ago, and all and sundry agreed the policeman was OTT for the same reasons as you described...F stupid.
In edit, I have to say though the fireman fared better, deferential treatment than other citizens...no illegal screaming of, 'get down on the ground now' even though he did do a technical assault on the 'officer', gravy on the dinner for many cops.
edit on 11-9-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

What the hell is happening here?
. . . .
My god.

I'll tell you. A highway patrol officer made a stupid mistake. Even people who know how to do things properly make mistakes, even on basic things which they've done before.

If you think this is even national news, you must think Highway Patrolmen are near God-like creatures who don't make mistakes. I didn't know you had that high of a regard for them.

In short, nothing is happening here. I will join you in your prayer, however. I didn't know you were a believer.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

Sounds to me, from what you have said here, and the OP, that there needs to be a clear 'chain of command' established for these situations, where the Fire/Paramedics are "IN CHARGE" until such time as they turn control of the situation over to the police... (ie: when they have completed their rescue/cleanup mission)

Thats pretty much what happens in the uk. They use common sense and help each other.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
our son-in-law is a combat firefighter in the air force and also works locals in shreveport off-base.

When they're on scene they control everything.

traffic
firefighting efforts
cops
etc.

't least he does.

this wouldn't have gone down that way with Matt.

ignorant cop
diligent firefighter.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear
Firefighters and Paramedics are the real unsung heroes of the world. Just look at what they do and try to remember the last time you heard one of them complaining. I'm not sure what sort of training and education is involved with being a firefighter(I will look it up as I'm interested in this career field) but its got to be far more than what is required to be a cop. Incompetent and firefighter/paramedic don't seem like words you hear much in the same sentence. Mad respect for those guys and gals.

Me too, the policeman was a dickhead and a serious indictment of the powers they have been given, while being drilled all the time with, 'officer safety' one of the primary reasons there are so many killings of unarmed citizens.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
This ridiculous. I'm a retired medic. Even if it was just the ambulance, we had primary control of the scene. That meant parking anyway we liked. I'm glad the Firefighter won the case. Too bad we don't know what all happened to the cop. I bet he gets harassed a lot. Well, karma doesn't play well with people like him.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Just kind of replying to all. I cannot speak for other places but we are a fairly large city. It is more a gray area of who has control. Many places Fire and EMS are one entity and many places they aren't. Here they arent. However in this situation as the OP stated here, police should have controlled traffic and talked to the individuals involved in the accident once patient care was given. The fire dept should have been in control of safety including using their truck as a barrier as well as helping with patient care. The medics are in charge and over all the patients care. Now, with that all being said. We work with over 11 different fire chiefs and departments in my county both paid snd volunteer. We NEVER discuss who is in charge of what. Why? Because we dont need to. We are all on the same page and all look out for each other. Safety for each other and for OUR patients are our ONLY concern. I cannot tell you how many times I have bailed firemen out of bad situations on calls, and I also cannot tell you how many times they have bailed me and my partners out on calls. I cannot say the same for other public safety agencies here. This is coming from someone who is usually very pro law enforcement.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: charles1952
This is worse then a mistake it's fully retarded.

It's not a mistake to arrest a firefighter at the scene of an accident.

edit on 9/12/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This was a straight up power trip, He was obviously wrong beyond a simple mistake and it appears the courts saw it that way as well. Hotheads like that should not be dealing with the public..let him push paper.

new topics

top topics

join