It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey baby boomers, die or get out if the way.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Nope I responded to your original post. I didn't trudge through the 8 pages to arrive here. But I wanted to give you some brain candy:

science.howstuffworks.com...

....the elderly seem to have a better shot at attaining wisdom. In a wisdom test that evaluated cognitive factors as well as emotional factors, a 67-year-old mother of seven who grew up poor and never finished high school scored well above average on the wisdom scale [source: Hall]. This seems to suggest that some sort of positive nature and emotional resiliency acquired with age and experience accounts for the development of wisdom.

Researchers believe that the older subjects' ability to control their emotional response and remain more positive in the face of an emotional challenge is a trait that comes with age. Interestingly, moral reasoning, which involves the same sort of balancing of emotions, has been linked with wisdom; those who exhibit higher levels of moral reasoning exhibit higher levels of wisdom-related performances [source: Staudinger].

That's not to say that younger people don't also exhibit wisdom, but they may not be able to contextualize it in the same way. In one study, people of all ages were asked about times they had exhibited wisdom and how it related to a lesson learned and some change in life. Adolescents were able to tell a story that involved wisdom, but they weren't able to link it to the bigger picture. Slightly older adults were able to find the lesson learned and glimpse the bigger picture, but only the older people could find the consequences or directions taken that the wisdom-related experience inspired.

quizlet.com...

To say that someone has gone through all these stages and is not 'more wise' is foolish. Are you more wise than say... an adolescent? You bet you are. A 4 year old? Why? The same logic applies to your elders as well. Those who have experienced more do not only have the emotional stability to deal with it, but the knowledge to impart on others following the same path.

As for the state of the world today, yes the older folks lead the way, an people tend not to like change very much. What you see is a result of people 'stuck in their ways' and cycles of humanity replaying. As they do and have done throughout history. Alexander the Great was 32 and perpetuated war. Leonardo da Vinci was around 55-60 when he painted the Mona Lisa and was a great mind unto his death.

Youth is impulsive. Your brain is not fully 'mature' until 25. Source

Five factors that make wisdom:
Factual Knowledge (information)
Life Span Concept
Uncertainty
Strategic knowledge
Relativism

All of those can only be honed with age and experience. Now, this said there are people who will have different levels of this, and youth that can be 'wiser' than an elder. But because wisdom is built on experience itself - and you have more experience by how long you live to have those experiences - you are wiser when you're older in general terms.

Will you be wiser tomorrow? Yes.
Will you be wiser in a year? Yes.
Will you be wiser in 5 years? Yes.

Now it is obvious you have a very specific gripe and example that you feel old people are not 'wise' in. So tell me if businesses are all about money.... why aren't there all 30 year old CEOs handling the transactions? You think they wouldn't pay off a 50 year old with a nice severance package to get him out of the way? It doesn't happen because the 30 year old doesn't have the experience, the contacts, the rapport, the culture cues, or the emotional fortitude. So my advice for you is simple.

Grow. Up.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: KaDeCo

Why don't you comb through the responses and point out how much "wisdom" has been purveyed in this thread for me?

And age is not directly indicative of wisdom. There are many more factors involved.

Why hasn't anyone asked me what's going on in my life to bring me to this conclusion prior to formulating a purely emotional response and attack and try to help me progress through this idea from a position of experience?

WHERE IS THE WISDOM?

Not seeing it. Maybe one or two posters beezer and someone else. Everyone else , emotional responses and attacks, there's no wisdom in those positions.

You know who had a lot of wisdom, the world war 2 generation, the Great Depression generation.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

originally posted by: onequestion
Get out if the way and let this place evolve.

Tell ya what, we'll get out IF the way when your generation learns how to f***ing spell, mkay, champ?

By the way, I am starting another company. Maybe you need a job, since I'll be hiring soon?

Don't you have some COD to play?

Great wisdom here.

Wouldn't you agree?

Actually this is more indicative of an18 year olds response.

"I'm so awesome mister ego big man go to school punk"

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Tell ya what, we'll get out IF the way when your generation learns how to f***ing spell, mkay, champ?

By the way, I am starting another company. Maybe you need a job, since I'll be hiring soon?

Don't you have some COD to play?

Great wisdom here.

Wouldn't you agree?

Actually this is more indicative of an18 year olds response.

"I'm so awesome mister ego big man go to school punk"

But starting a thread telling baby boomers to die is mature and wise right?

Grow up.
edit on 16-9-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 16-9-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I'm not claiming to be mature or wise.

But "grow up" seems the be the standard response. It's like it's almost all you have to offer.

Grow up how?

Grow up when?

What is growing up?
edit on 9/16/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

a reply to: thesaneone

I'm not claiming to be mature or wise.

But "grow up" seems the be the standard response. It's like it's almost all you have to offer.

Grow up how?

Grow up when?

What is growing up?

Growing up is not portraying an attitude of "know it all" arrogance. A realization that we are all in this together
without the

Hey baby boomers, die or get out if the way.

self important insolence. A little humility might be in order if you want to remain credible. And an apology to some of the insulted older members also might be in order...some of them may very well be dying, sick or just feeling like ****

I deal with little smart asses every day both as customers and potential applicants for a job. If that's how you want to appear, keep it up, you've got a great start!

Just so you know...I find most of your threads/posts articulate and well thought out....on this one you fubr. Thankfully for you, most members here have a short attention span if any at all.

I don't claim any wisdom because of age but I learned one thing....Most of our problems are caused by not knowing when to keep our damn mouths shut!!
edit on 16-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

So there's three posters who have successfully now including you talked me down.

Everything else is / attack / immature / emotional response which is on the same level as my mindset when I made this thread.

However I will not concede to emotional attacks only reason and logic.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

However I will not concede to emotional attacks only reason and logic.

So you consider attacking some of the members here reasonable and logical by calling for them to die and get out of the way and follow up with more attacks and rationalizations....see the disconnect here?

What did you hope to gain? Tough guy street cred? antiestablishment status? A virtual www. tattoo, body mod to show that you march to a different drummer? What?

Just trying to establish the etiology that prompted this outburst of anger and rant....

God knows I've posted while drunk or otherwise *******up and lived to regret it and suffer the consequences.
edit on 16-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Hey thanks for providing us with a prime example of what's wrong.

What's wrong, exactly? That I am showing initiative and innovation by starting a company, instead of sucking on the government teat like everyone under 30?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Sorry if your a baby boomer but guess what, your time is done its time to let the younger people move up and take your place.

It's time you retire from your union position and collect your pension and let the younger person below you who's been waiting ten years for your job actually make a decent living so they can properly support their family.

It's time you step out of politics and let the younger generation deal with the new economic and social paradigm that your to old to understand.

The fact is you grew up in a completely different economy, under completely different politics, with an entirely different social dynamic.

We have technology you don't understand, a police state that you haven't experienced in your early 20's and global politics with a group of people who think different then you.

You don't understand the internet you don't understand television and podcasting and you don't understand anything about what's going on with the younger generation.

Ok I posted once and it was silly and stupid...As a gen-Xer I'm sort of in the middle of this between the Milennials and the Boomers so I feel like I've got a reasonable grasp on both sides

You are looking for an emotion free response and though 90% of my post was silly the last part may have been lacking in logic...so here I go

You are here on ATS where there are a great deal of sharp minds, most well beyond mine. They think critically, try to reason and seek out truth. Yes I am aware ATS also has it's share of emotional and explosive members who lack logic or manners but I feel that most of the time given respect, most members will answer with respect. I had to learn that lesson throughout my life. I will spare you the pain and boredom of trolling through my posts from the past here and give you the summary and conclusion. I WAS that person who answered things with emotion before heart, mind and spirit. ((not in a religious manner mind you)) and I could never understand why I got crappy responses or my star count didn't raise.

You come to the rant forum, which is absolutely your right to do so, and tell Boomers to get out of the way or die. You make irrational assumptions that they don't understand technology. You then assume that they have the power of financial safety to resume retirement despite the crash we all know happened and then finally presume to tell them to step out of the economic and political policy they don't understand.

Consider my brief summary above, untainted, unbiased and factual. Then consider that you now expect rational, well-thought, articulate and benign responses. Then when they don't cordially return responses on the back of your attack on the elder generation, you become upset with that same generation.

Respect always begets respect when available. Yes some people are just always rude...but please consider the potential responses had you phrased things respectfully.

It is true in my opinion that wisdom does not come with age rather it comes with experience. I know from my own line of work that there are a few, albeit rare, teenagers out there that have lived so rough that they know life far deeper than I do and I have great respect for their views and experiences. The fact is though that with age comes the greater capacity for experience. I could sit and talk to you all day about theories of cognitive development and emotional maturity a la Erikson all day but when it comes down to the facts, you must realize that while it is indeed possible for a younger person to have wisdom, who has the greater potential for more life experience and time to consider things like consequences and deeper meaning and reality; a 19 year old who is fresh into college or a long-time 60 year old who has worked for 40 years?

But again, come back to the center point of the responses you've received and I ask again to consider your approach. You may not wonder why you've elicited negativity

Besides...the best part of this whole thread AND the responses? It's an experience...and that brings wisdom

good day

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join