It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald’s is in big trouble—and it could get even worse

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: arjunanda

McDonald’s is in big trouble—and it could get even worse

Who cares..

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely
They employ a lot of people - world wide.
Through both company owned and franchised.

I just can not see this as being loss of control from such a huge global player !

It may not but its a test bed right now. If this thing were to catch on the effects would "trickle down" to millions working for low wages all over the f-in place not even in the fast food industry.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I domt buy it. Anytime I go to McDonalds there's 10 cars in the drive through. Look across the street and not a single car at Wendys. Lol

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

The trade off is industry wide price rise - leading to more inflation !

You would need a wheel barrow full of folding to buy a big mac in the end !

The big mac is the global equaliser and indicator of economies - globally ! Lol !

It is the financial canary in the mine ( well - not really - but hey ! ).

Big repercussions ..

edit on 11-9-2014 by Timely because: wrong epithet

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

This living wage payment system will only hurt the employees of places like this, and people are too blinded by dollar signs to see the inevitable outcome of such an action.

The people who want to be able to eat a meal each day and have a roof over their head. Yeah, screw them.

You have just proved my point.

In your blindness you fail to realize that businesses will only raise expenses, work a person less, and give them less than they already have in order to compensate for the differential.

Corporations are only out for their selves, as is their nature. They are not, and never will be out for the betterment of their employees.

Failing to grasp this concept only makes you weaker, and more controllable.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Could someone explain this to me:

Because that would be a meanie, in my eyes. Working day in, day out - having to hear "you are a server, you earn by tips!", when all you get is your measly McD-earnings.

One of the biggest psycho babble mind games played on the labor mindset in america was that Big Macs has the right to f the wages out of you because you are in some sort of labor apprentice float, learning valuable lessons in life....like how to work for zip because you are zip.....besides your mom picks you up from work...LOL. And besides....we will heir Mexicans. And they must because kids these days want to screw Joe Blow out of his Big Mac by requiring higher wages. F-in kids!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MentorsRiddle

no they got there because people did not realise they were eating poison .

but i do like their coffee , in the uk it is costa coffee .

link   
a reply to: ausername

That is a deal compared to what Starbucks charges for a cup of coffee.

The reality is McDs can afford to pay their workers better. Perhaps pay based on the success(profitability) of a restaurant could give them some incentive to do a good job.

link   

originally posted by: CoherentlyConfused
I would not lose any sleep if all the fast food joints went out of business.

I suppose stock owners wouldn't be happy, though.

But then who would pay unskilled and poorly educated workers 15 bucks an hour?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
People are really brain washed into making sure the richest people keep getting richer at the expense of the poorer.

Maybe some people should go shopping for food instead of letting mom always do it. Of course if you are not aware of how prices have change over the last few years you won't get it though. Probably better for you to go back to playing with your Xbox, have mom stop by McDonald to get your dinner, and pretend all is well. What will you do though when mom can't buy that Happy Meal for you? Blame her?
edit on 9/11/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
My family has not given them any business since they sent out that letter to employees telling them to cut their food into smaller pieces to make it look like they had more food, sell their birthday presents on e-Bay, get a second job etc.
Their VP of HR gets about a million a year salary PLUS a bonus of over six million. I'm sure he never has to sell his stuff on e-Bay. $135K a week at not quite the top, against $350 a week.

Mine is a small protest, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. It adds up quickly when you lose a family here, and a family there.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
We have to keep in mind the "trouble" is all relative. McDonalds made a profit of 1.39 billion last quarter. Could it have been better? Sure. Is 1.39 biilion in profit being in trouble? Not to most companies. Of course if your McDonalds your expected to better. And while same stores sales have gone up and down over the last decade they still have massive expansion going on in China. So no chance of McDonalds going out of buisness in any of our life times. I just find it funny that investors get upset when a company only makes 1.39 billion dollars in profit in a single quarter.

link   
Dont' worry my friends. The minute McDonalds starts heading south, the government will pass a law allowing them to accept food stamps.

That's how American capitalism works.

link   
The corporate Md's has no one to blame but themselves for their downturn in popularity. Marketing plans must change with the times and the franchise holders are left holding the bag for corporate mismanagement at many levels; not the least of which is selling junk food.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
McDonald's is a multi-billion dollar multi national global company. They could pay US workers, who make the company run, more if they felt like it. But they don't have to. They would make Big Macs in China and ship them to the US and pay less if they could. Maximizing profits and returns to shareholders is what it's all about.

McDonald's food, if you can call it that, is terrible. It's designed to make you more hungry and not fill you up. It has so much sugar and salt. And tastes like total c*ap. My first job was there.

link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: CoherentlyConfused
I would not lose any sleep if all the fast food joints went out of business.

I suppose stock owners wouldn't be happy, though.

But then who would pay unskilled and poorly educated workers 15 bucks an hour?

Yea and don't hold your breath for a raise after you have mastered whatever it is you do for 10$. Besides bitch to much about it and we will hire some unskilled and undereducated jackass to take your place.

See the real value of the unskilled is the scab value they have. To keep the skilled, loyal, always available but low paid in line.

link   
a reply to: MrSpad

I agree that in their big picture this is minor. It demonstrates how greedy people really are.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Bad marketing choices ?

The kiddies are still "Lovin em " !

edit on 11-9-2014 by Timely because: bloody "L"

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Can't do what I do and be an unskilled worker.

Unless you know aircraft mechanics making ten an hour.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Can't do what I do and be an unskilled worker.

Unless you know aircraft mechanics making ten an hour.

If you find yourself unable to find - industry specific employment ...

You may find your skills un-related.

Ed; non specific as to industry - not singling you out. Some good people,
have found themselves without a trade way too often in my time !

It is getting harder out there !

edit on 11-9-2014 by Timely because: clarification

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join