It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Futurist Ideas Applied to Extraterrestrials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Nothing fancy about this post, I am just making some speculations for conversation.

I think that an advanced civilization, similar to us and not too far advanced than we are presently, will take evolution into their hands and will go either one of two ways: (1) Genetic manipulation over time to create an ideal "perfect" vision for themselves, or (2) Augmentation through cybernetics, which I think would be more likely since it would be more a more immediate change. Through the route of becoming an alien cyborg, they may very well keep improving themselves until they are more mechanical than biological, and possibly to the point of where they immortalize themselves by "downloading" their mind into a completely non-biological android, inevitably leading up to the point to where they are no longer a biological race. Becoming a machine would be pretty efficient, as you're no longer burdened by biological needs. Your body is replaceable, and I assume you'd be better suited for space travel than any biological being would be. I think that a civilization, no matter how advanced, will still be driven primarily by curiosity, and will always have questions that they'll strive to answer.

That's why I think that an advanced race of aliens, even millions of years ahead of us, would take the time to interest themselves with us "ants". I use that term referring to the idea that we will be to ETs what ants are to us. But we study ants. And other insects, and microscopic single-celled organisms. Unless all planetary habitats are carbon copies, they'll have some amount of interests in us.

The other thing I thought about is where would they be? I don't think they would have a home world anymore. Planets are hazardous. I think it would be more efficient to bring your civilization out into space with your own artificial planet. They would definitely need an abundant and self-sustaining power source, but beyond that there's little need for anything else. I think the vast, vast emptiness of space would be safer than remaining on their world. It would seem pretty optimal if you had total control of your planet, and can move it anywhere you wanted. Leave mother nature behind.

Would a race of immortal minds in the body of androids be cold, emotionless, and destroy anything in their path? I don't necessarily think so. I think there would be the desire to preserve who they are at there core in order to avoid that. If they were able to perfectly emulate their brains, then they could still have allowed their senses to be simulated in the same way as when they were organic. I respectively disagree with Stephen Hawking's assertion that they we would see a similar situation to when Europe came over to the Americas. Surely if they have harnessed the power of stars, we would have nothing they want. I also have always felt that empathy is a defining trait of advanced evolution. The key to your survival is not to kill your enemies, but to seek not to make enemies in the first place. Violence in our species continues to decline at an expanding pace (no matter what the news channels might tell you).

Another question I think about when the discussion of aliens comes up is that in the immeasurable vastness of space, how would they even find us? Certainly they won't go galaxy hopping hoping to find something interesting. But consider that right now we are looking for and discovering planets in the habitual zone that could potentially support life as we know it. With better technology and knowledge, we might even be able to gather more evidence of the certainty of life on these planets. So this race that I've theorized wouldn't have taken a shot in the dark to find us, they may have found the evidence they needed for life on our planet millions of years ago, so that they'd know the journey is worth the travel.

The big question though, is how would they introduce themselves to us? They may not be here right now. The UFOs on this planet that stump everyone may just be unmanned science vessels, like the rovers on Mars. (With respect to everyone and their beliefs here: I don't have a story to tell of experience with an alien or UFO, so I remain agnostic to it all with a strong, interested open mind). They might introduce themselves the same way we usually have to introduce ourselves to a really shy and guarded person: Making slow attempts to connect without overwhelming, and trying to build up trust and acceptance, which takes time. The term "soft disclosure" is used a lot here, and I think it makes the most sense. First contact will completely change everything, it would arguably be the biggest moment of mankind. You might be ready for it, but I'm sure you can imagine the mass panic and hysteria it would cause if they showed up and rang Earth's doorbell. They might have experience in introducing themselves to other beings and have their own plan. They are waiting for us to be ready. We, as a whole, are just beginning to accept the likelihood that there is life out there. Not just the possibility, but the probability. I think we are close to that with every new discovery. The next step is finding actual alien life, likely just microbes, maybe even fossilized life. I think there is a possibility of this happening in our lifetime. This part would be the acceptance, we now know we're not alone and we're all thinking about the step after, finding intelligent life. This may be the point where they decide to test the waters, so to speak. I don't think it will be a face to face conversation, if it was possible at the time. We would just need a confirmation that there is intelligent life out there. At this point I think they could open communication. Still not face to face, but from a distance, they tell us about themselves. I think they will have to remain our long distance relationship for a long time until everybody is used to this idea that we are actively communicating with an intelligent extraterrestrial species...where it's almost like yesterday's news. I think that finally, at this point, there could be a face-to-face meeting. The first message they will probably get across to us is "We're an independent species, we won't be caught up in your politics nor interfere with your development, we come in peace and with respect". They may not allow us any of their technology at all, unless they are able to share it evenly with the entire planet.

And that's where my thinking ends. I'd love to read your thoughts.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MrAndy

Becoming a machine would be pretty efficient, as you're no longer burdened by biological needs.

Just spare parts.

I think the body is the most efficient machine there is.

If you think about it, it transfers matter to energy and back again, heals itself and replicates. The genes are the code and flesh is the machinery.

There is no need for revisions or upgrades at the present time.

Now the soul (the host, the you) is a different thing entirely.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

What if the aliens are so genetically messed up that they need our fresh dna to splice into their own. Kind of like inbreds but different.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Greetings- You are a "Spirit" having a 'human experience' and the body is just the vessel to carry it around in... You are NOT Your "body"...

Caution as what You 'may' perceive as a "Space Bro" could be a "Space Turd" that wants Your "body"... "They" don't have a 'body' (humanoid shape is much easier to blend in) I AM certainly not typing that ALL are 'non-positive' just to use •Caution•

Enjoy Your Flight...

namaste

Edit: Pretty much ALL My 'machines' take something to run them.. I'll stick with My 'body' until I meld back to whence I came, The Source of All That There Is...
edit on 11-9-2014 by JimNasium because: OMission on My end, it won't happen again.... Until the next time.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The singularity process is already in progress here with humans as more attachment is placed on technology so its not too far fetched to consider that more elder CREATOR Creations have encountered or achieved it already.

With nano like bodies that can absorb STAR or other Cosmic based energy for food and possession of technology that would keep them within this realm of existence via transferring their (downloaded?) Soul/Spirit/Internal ENERGY and or consciousness into new body upgrades... I think its possible they could be more benevolent based due to the massive amount of historical experiences they may of had. As far as making contact it would not be to far outta box to consider them transferring into a human like body to direct assess and evaluate the human behaviors & lifestyles and then further make contact in that form as to make it easier on the potential contact group of interest.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Do you think it is possible to download ones consciousness? Say there is no soul, and consciousness is merely an electrical storm of activity in the brain. I imagine if we had nano or smaller technology, that was sufficiently advanced, we could copy the structure of a person's brain and then literally transfer the electrical activity over? It's the only way I can think of moving consciousness without just copying it and killing the living person.
I think it would require qubits and quantum computing capabilities, so until then I'm staying the hell away from any kind of teleporter or 'mind downloader'

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Who knows how an advanced race would steer it own genetic make up. Only two things come to mind when it comes to aliens and body augmentations.

Cybernetics and Splicing genetics. Cybernetics is a sci-fi classic.

Cybernetics would possibly be the easiest one to do, and the closest way to achieving immortality, so long as the brain survives, or if advancements got to the point where, they could make cybernetics brains just as complex as the real squishy ones. Hell, one could make backs ups, like it was Voldermort from Harry Potter.

As for genetics, the only thing I can think is mixing a sentient race genetics with a animals genetics for abilities like regeneration from reptiles or starfish, to camouflaging like a squid. Even just change bone and muscle density would have a great impact on brute strength...Gorilla maybe? However, genetics awfully seem like code, and their possibly many repercussions to it. If I remember the game Bio shock plot involved a civilization that tempered with genetics, and went crazy.

Another interesting feat, is the mixture of both. Cybernetics and Genetics, however unlikely it sounds. Like, would it be possible to change the elements in our bodies? The need for Iron in our blood, could one day be changed to metals like Gold or silver, due to them having cleaning properties. Or having machines connect with consciousness.

Seems like a crazy circus of ideas. Hopefully it will be a good show, instead of a mad, fun house.

Also, if they have perfected augmentations with lttile to no risk, they would consider us relics.

edit on 11-9-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: SpongeBeard

I think it could happen eventually with all the brain scanning equipment existing today that can take thoughts and turn them into images, who is to say what the future holds SpongeBeard. Basically it may require some type of object that could capture the consciousness and replant it into another vessel... First however it may be important to discover what the remaining part of the unused brain functions may be. Good question

edit on 9/11/14 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join